Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
New Item for Card Storage

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/6977092596

May 18, 2021, 07:24 AM
ravenheart
New Item for Card Storage
Binders > cupboard > winning.

That box looks absolutely ideal for the CCG crowd though, which is I'm sure exactly who it was designed for, with trading card collectors bundled into the marketing to sell more boxes. Much like pretty much every other card accessory range.
May 18, 2021, 07:58 AM
webjon
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Binders > cupboard > winning.

That box looks absolutely ideal for the CCG crowd though, which is I'm sure exactly who it was designed for, with trading card collectors bundled into the marketing to sell more boxes. Much like pretty much every other card accessory range.

Yeah, I can definitely see how the CCG crowd would appreciate this box it. Lots of features for them for sure.
May 18, 2021, 08:12 AM
webjon
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Wow! You are nuking this! But sure, if you keep your collection stored under a constant light source for weeks at a time (most collectors I know do not) then this is not a solution for you.

To be honest I'm pretty pissed. I have $150 worth of boxes that I can't return stacked in the corner that I bought as replacements for worn boxes and these don't do the most basic part of collection protection -- prevent light and dust from getting to collectibles.

My boxes often sit normal rooms that get normal light for weeks on end. My test wasn't outrageous. It was about 10 AM with just ambient light in the room -- the blinds were open, but I had no other light source -- it was an overcast day, and I was ~8 feet from a window and there was still more light penetration that I was comfortable with.
May 20, 2021, 09:02 AM
webjon
So. . . I still need a storage solution, and I'm convinced that there has to be a better solution than cardboard.

For some reason last night I decided to think outside the box. . . or something.

I've ordered 3 of these:
https://www.uline.com/Product/...?modelnumber=S-22723

With lids.
https://www.uline.com/Product/...?modelnumber=S-22492

Obviously these have far fewer features than the BCW boxes, but I'm looking for storage -- features aren't very important to me.

3 boxes cost me $107 shipped, so ~$36 each -- basically the same price as the BCW boxes.

I initially thought this would be cheaper, but that was before I realized the lids were $10 a pop, and shipping was not cheap. I was going to get 4 boxes initially, but the shipping cost for 4 boxes ($38) was nearly double the shipping cost for 3 boxes ($20) -- which means if I like these and want to order another one there is only a $2 shipping penalty for the 2nd order. Also FYI the minimum order size is 3 boxes.

I may need to find a solution for dividing the box -- if I do I am thinking either Plexiglas, corrugated plastic or comic book dividers.

Who knows if this is a good idea. . .

Also many other vendors sell basically the same totes. They may be available cheaper elsewhere, I didn't look very hard.
May 20, 2021, 10:35 AM
Logan
I've been looking for something to store my cards in top loaders. I kinda want to stick to the old-fashioned cardboard boxes though to keep the cost down. A lot of people seem to like the BCW 2-row shoe storage box (1600 ct.). I may have it give it a try.

May 20, 2021, 10:48 AM
webjon
The two row boxes are nice.

Depending on how many cards you are looking to store the nice thing about the 3 row boxes is that they are quite a bit longer than the other boxes.

The three row boxes hold nearly as many cards as the four row boxes due to the additional length.
May 20, 2021, 12:17 PM
Logan
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
The two row boxes are nice.

Depending on how many cards you are looking to store the nice thing about the 3 row boxes is that they are quite a bit longer than the other boxes.

The three row boxes hold nearly as many cards as the four row boxes due to the additional length.

Yeah I just saw those now, 3000 ct. they say (or 600 top loaders). That would actually be better for me. I like to keep my top loaded cards in team bags also but I don't think they would fit in these. The row width of the box is 3 1/8" and the team bags are 3 3/8" I believe. So I would have to leave the team bags out or try to find a different box. But I like these ones though. Confused Twak
May 20, 2021, 01:25 PM
webjon
Funny I have kind of the same issue. . .

I have some of my toploadered cards in team bags, but not a ton. I use the 3 row boxes without any issues, but the bags probably do get a bit crumpled.

I just ordered some of these after seeing people talk about them on another site -- they are bags meant for toploaders:

https://www.superiorfitsleeves...er-Sleeves-s/118.htm

I haven't used them yet, but they arrived without any issues.
May 20, 2021, 03:37 PM
Logan
quote:
I just ordered some of these after seeing people talk about them on another site -- they are bags meant for toploaders:

Thanks for the tip. I never heard of them before but a quick Blowout search shows a lot of collectors really liking them. I'll definitely have to check those out. Thumb Up
May 24, 2021, 11:42 AM
webjon
The Uline Totes are in.

Initial thoughts:

These are not as rigid as the BCW bins, but feel sturdy.

The lids are solid, although the fit isn't super tight. Light / dust /water penetration doesn't seem like an issue.

This lids or other boxes 'nest' in to boxes that they sit on. When you look at the pictures you'll see a rim inside the box -- that is where the lid or other box rests. All cards must be below that rim.

The lid has a ridge both on top and on bottom of the lid. This is how they nest. The downside of this design is that you won't be able to slide boxes when they are stacked as they are all locked together. If this is an issue I may cut the top ridge off of the lid.

The lids themselves are sturdy enough, but there is no support under the lid. The dividers in the BCW bins provide support to the lid. Cardboard boxes don't have lid support either. So maybe this isn't a problem, although these lids are larger than the cardboard box lids.

Speaking of size:

3 row box: 18.5 long x 10.25 wide
BCW BIN: 14.75 long x 15 wide
ULine Tote: 23.75 long x 14.75 wide

I tested to see how many standard deck boxes would fit in each:

3 row box: 27 deck boxes
BCW BIN: 28 deck boxes
ULine Tote: 49 deck boxes (without any dividers)

For reference a pack of 25 toploaders is just slightly smaller than a deck box.

The totes have molded handles, which makes them easier than the other boxes to lift and move.

The 4 corners in the tote are a bit rounded. I expected this to be problematic, but so far it hasn't been.

There is a slight ridge around the inside of the box. Over time this may scratch toploaders / deck boxes, and I don't think I'd allow raw or sleeved cards to rub against it.

The bins definitely feel more premium.

Note: I'm orienting this box the 'short' way compared to the other boxes.
Here is a picture with some standard card supplies.

Seems like this may turn in to a bit of a DYI project as I may add dividers and cut the rim from the lid, but in general for storage I think these are going to work for me. I appreciate that they are very efficient on space, acid free plastic (Polypropylene), with a solid lid.

Happy to answer questions if anyone has any.
May 28, 2021, 11:26 AM
webjon
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:

Thanks for the tip. I never heard of them before but a quick Blowout search shows a lot of collectors really liking them. I'll definitely have to check those out. Thumb Up

I started using these today and I'm really happy -- they work great on standard thickness toploaders.
July 22, 2021, 10:23 AM
webjon
Update on the ULINE totes if anyone is still interested.

PROS:

Cards fit well -- I'm storing cards in toploaders and magnetic holders. I was able to cut down plastic sheets to make nice dividers, and I was able to cut off the ridge around the top of the lid so they can slide on and off of each other. I got the best result cutting the ridge off using a utility knife and going slowly with multiple cuts. I also tried an oscillating multi-tool which was faster, but gouged the lid quite a bit.

I like the handles a lot, they make lifting and moving boxes much easier.

These boxes hold the contents of slightly more than 1 and a half 3-row boxes.

CONS:

Of course the cost, and the DIY nature of this are cons, but I knew that going in.

I only found one additional con, but it is significant, and possibly a deal breaker. The bottom of the box is fairly flexible, when loaded with cards in toploaders the box sags. There is about a quarter inch deflection from the edge of the box to the center when the box is loaded. This was really evident when lifting the box up.

The boxes are really only supported on the edges, so it seems when the boxes are stacked all of the boxes except the bottom box will be sagging, which isn't ideal.

Next steps. . .

There are various ways I could reinforce the bottom, but I feel like I've already gone far enough down the customization rabbit hole.

I'm going to try with some lighter options -- cards in deck boxes instead of toploaders to see if sagging is still a concern. If it is I'll use these boxes for garage storage and go back to other boxes for my cards.

A couple of notes. . .

Realistically I think it is unlikely that the sagging would cause issues with the cards, but I'm concerned over a long period of time when stacked the upper cards could sag enough to be resting on top of the lower cards.

I did check the 3 row cardboard boxes for deflection, and there is some sagging, but it is really slight and not a concern for me.

These ULINE boxes are rated for 900 pounds. . . which seems like a typo, because that clearly doesn't make sense -- unless the rating is for how much weight can be stacked on top of these boxes rather than the weight each box can contain.
July 29, 2021, 11:26 PM
webjon
In an effort to continue beating this clearly dead horse. . .

I aborted using the Uline totes for cards in top loaders due to sagging.

My card bins have been looking at me with sad eyes in the corner since I bought them.

I can't return 'em so I need to use 'em.

I took some high quality electrical tape and taped over the hinges and other areas where light penetration was bothering me. This worked better than I expected. We'll see how long the tape holds up, but for now it seems fine. The hinges still can open and close, although they are much tighter now.

The 4 row card bin seems to hold slightly more than a 3 row cardboard box.

Top loaders in sleeves are snug side to side, but I think workable. I did notice that the outer sides of the bin bow out slightly when loaded with toploaders in sleeves. It's probably 1/16" deflection so not a problem, but it is noticeable.

Also I have some one touches in sleeves. When sleeved the one touches are really snug top to bottom. The lid probably deflects about 1/8" with the sleeved one touches.

Moving forward I'll likely continue to use the bins for cards in top loaders, but will either move the one touches somewhere else or store them on their side in the bin so they aren't pressed against the lid to avoid scratching the one touches. I'll also be checking the Uline boxes with cards in deck boxes to see if that is viable.

If I had to do it all over again I'd stick with the cardboard boxes, although the totes could grow on me.
July 30, 2021, 01:06 PM
webjon
So I FINALLY decide to move forward with the Card Bins.

I ordered a case them, and they came packaged in the original BCW case.

3 of the 4 bins are damaged. Somehow I opened the only one that wasn't damaged.

2 have broken lids at the hinge, and the third is bent at the hinge.

There is minor damage to the box, but the damage wasn't enough that I was concerned at all when I unpacked these.

August 10, 2021, 10:36 PM
webjon
Yet another update. . .

I was able to glue/epoxy the hinges, I think they will work well enough.

I loaded 2 bins with cards in top loaders -- many sleeved top loaders and found that some of the top loaders were VERY snug.

Initially I thought this was due to variations in top loader thickness, which I'm sure plays a role, but also I noticed that the rows in the bins are slightly narrower at the bottom than at the top -- so getting the cards in was often just fine, but then sometimes getting them out -- concerning. I then noticed that some of the dividers that came with the bin fit just fine in some rows, but not others so I think there is some variation in thickness in the case as well.

Ultimately I decided not to use the bins for cards in top loaders after I had a tough time getting a very expensive card out -- it took so much force to remove the card/top loader that the entire case which was about 3/4 full lifted off the table. I had to hold the case down with one hand and pull with the other. This top loader was sleeved -- that may make a difference.

For anyone dealing with this issue I found it was a lot easier to try to pull the cards up from the edges where there is solid plastic rather than the middle.

I also found that the 4 row bin holds slightly more cards than two 2-row cardboard boxes.
August 11, 2021, 01:25 AM
catskilleagle
It's always worth reading what someone is trying out in terms of storage. Anyone on the board at this point has at least several boxes/bins/binders of cards and has at least occasional concerns about light, dust, heat, humidity, chemistry, and weight/stress over time. Thanks for the updates.
August 11, 2021, 06:15 AM
Graham
Is there such a thing as pocket pages that will store cards the size of uncut AP's from Rittenhouse or oversize cards that were redeemable with Cryptozoic's Superman: The Legend? I would dearly like to store these in their respective binders. Being even more picky, I'd like the pockets to be portrait orientation.
August 11, 2021, 01:05 PM
Raj
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Is there such a thing as pocket pages that will store cards the size of uncut AP's from Rittenhouse or oversize cards that were redeemable with Cryptozoic's Superman: The Legend? I would dearly like to store these in their respective binders. Being even more picky, I'd like the pockets to be portrait orientation.

There are pages for photos that should suffice.
August 14, 2021, 12:21 PM
sittin9duck
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:

Graham email sent. Wave
January 16, 2023, 08:09 AM
webjon
Just noticed they now have a 2 row 1600 card version of this plastic box:

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/co...e-card-bin-1600-gray

$45.99

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:

Weight: 4.80 lbs
Holds 3200 loose trading cards
Rows are wide enough to hold toploaders, magnetics, and deck boxes
Stackable
Includes 4 Card Bin Partitions
Hinged lid features secure, sliding locks
Interior Row Dimensions (WxHxL):
3⅛x 4¼ x 14⅜
Exterior Dimensions (WxHxL):
15 x 4¾ x 15

Pre-Order - Available: 02/15/21

$39.99

MSRP on the 3200 count bins is now $66.99.