Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case incentive cards
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
I have a question for you fellow card collectors.

Do you ever open the gold sealed or factory sealed cards from their top loaders, for putting in an album? Or do you leave them sealed in their top loaders.

do you think it diminishes any of the value to take them out of the sealed top loaders?

Thanks!

Posts: 5 | Location: Brooklyn Center, MN | Registered: July 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I always leave them sealed. But I'm probably not the best person to ask since I don't keep any of my cards in albums. As far as value goes, I do believe it hurts resale prices. I think most collectors prefer to buy incentives uncirculated as originally issued. Some may not care though if they can get the card cheaper "unsealed". If you're keeping it for yourself with no intention of reselling then it makes no difference - do whatever makes you happy. Here's a link to a thread here where that was discussed:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605353/m/3107028126

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Logan! I appreciate the response and the link.

Interesting discussion

Posts: 5 | Location: Brooklyn Center, MN | Registered: July 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Logan:
If you're keeping it for yourself with no intention of reselling then it makes no difference - do whatever makes you happy./QUOTE]

Yes, this topic has been discussed before.

I always break the seals and put the cards in binders. I do not consider resale value, but if you are, I would recommend that you don't break seals and leave the cards in the holders/loaders.

In the original condition, you can still sell it as mint and uncirculated. Once removed there is the potential that someone will start talking about grading and that would probably cause some deduction in the price you can get for it. That is the only really good reason not to liberate it from the plastic, to maintain full value, whatever that may be.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I leave mine sealed if I am intending to trade/sell it but open if I am keeping for my collection.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
I keep them in the top loader, or whatever it comes in, hate to dirty them!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I never take them out of the holders. I use four page sheets to put them in the binders.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
If they aren't in a penny sleeve inside the top loader, I remove them. There is no guarantee they are archival safe (in fact I'm nearly sure we checked on that several years ago and they weren't.) As RA now inserts them into a penny sleeve, I have left them sealed.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
If they aren't in a penny sleeve inside the top loader, I remove them. There is no guarantee they are archival safe (in fact I'm nearly sure we checked on that several years ago and they weren't.) As RA now inserts them into a penny sleeve, I have left them sealed.

This is correct, some years ago now Rittenhouse confirmed the top loaders were not archival safe.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep them sealed.
Just to guess at what the risks are. Color fading into the plastic, or the card getting stuck to the plastic.
Yellowing of the card and plastic. The plastic breaking down and leaching onto the card.
I know I'm taking a chance. My logic[wishful thinking] is that when properly stored it could take more that 20 years to see the effects.
Top loaders are kinda high quality plastic. I know they can get cloudy. I have found putting team bag over them really helps
since the top loader will not be directly exposed to hand oils.. etc..
So far all of mine are OK. If I see any negative effects, I can then open.

I have seen photos of collections of people putting rows of Top loaders in shoe boxes.
And this is with no team bags over them. My guess is with the acid in the shoe box, and the
top loader being handled and exposed.. they will not last as long.

Posts: 18 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wireside:
I keep them sealed.
Just to guess at what the risks are. Color fading into the plastic, or the card getting stuck to the plastic.
Yellowing of the card and plastic. The plastic breaking down and leaching onto the card.
I know I'm taking a chance. My logic[wishful thinking] is that when properly stored it could take more that 20 years to see the effects.
Top loaders are kinda high quality plastic. I know they can get cloudy. I have found putting team bag over them really helps
since the top loader will not be directly exposed to hand oils.. etc..
So far all of mine are OK. If I see any negative effects, I can then open.

I have seen photos of collections of people putting rows of Top loaders in shoe boxes.
And this is with no team bags over them. My guess is with the acid in the shoe box, and the
top loader being handled and exposed.. they will not last as long.

Top loaders are perfectly safe as long as the card is placed in a penny sleeve first. That's where Rittenhouse went wrong in the early years of their incentives. Perhaps it was just meant to be a temporary holder and they thought collectors would end up breaking the seal, removing the incentive, and storing them whatever way they prefer, but that's not what happened in many cases. A lot of collectors like the fact that they're "uncirculated" and prefer to keep them that way. That's where the dilemma arises with the earlier incentives that are not penny-sleeved first. Leave them that way and risk card damage over time, or take them out and lose the "uncirculated" appeal and possibly lower the card's value.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Leave them that way and risk card damage over time, or take them out and lose the "uncirculated" appeal and possibly lower the card's value.

I was reading an article about valuable beanie babies a couple of weeks ago and got a laugh at the fact that the beanie wasn't valuable but the tag was. Wink

I totally get what you are saying because I do it when I look to purchase a case incentive card. My brain equates the worth with the seal. I have been mentally conditioned by modern collector disease.

I think if I was really concerned about the safety of the card I would probably slice the top so I could get a penny sleeve in for protection. Not sure if I would remove the whole thing.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

I was reading an article about valuable beanie babies a couple of weeks ago and got a laugh at the fact that the beanie wasn't valuable but the tag was. Wink

What about when the unredeemed redemption card is priced higher than the actual card you would have gotten had it been redeemed?

Same principal of determining which one is now rarer and harder to find, the tag or the doll, the redemption ticket or the prize? The more limited must be more valuable, even if its the box it came in. Big Grin

Only a collector's mentality can forget logic and make sense out of that. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

What about when the unredeemed redemption card is priced higher than the actual card you would have gotten had it been redeemed?

Same principal of determining which one is now rarer and harder to find, the tag or the doll, the redemption ticket or the prize? The more limited must be more valuable, even if its the box it came in. Big Grin

Only a collector's mentality can forget logic and make sense out of that. Wink

Yeah, that unredeemed situation happened to me with a Jerri Ryan autograph, but the good news is I did later track down another unredeemed card.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post