Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    USPS Prices Rates for January 27, 2013
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS Prices Rates for January 27, 2013
 Login/Join

Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I'm dealing with someone outside of Ebay and they are willing to take the risk I'll send them that way but it's not an option for Ebay transactions.

The problem it isn't just eBay. It is also the payment method because contrary to some European countries. We don't have free direct wire transfers.

quote:
I still find it funny though the way some sellers view is that a $1 promo is something they cannot possibly afford to lose and therfore must charge $30 for postage so that it can be tracked across the planet.

I agree with you. It looks funny ask a lot of S&H for $1 or less card, but just think for a moment about it. Sellers that have a lot of cards for a $1 or less are more interesting to have combine/multiple sales.

Also if you don't have Endicia, Stamps, etc or eBay labels and a scale. You will need to go to the Postal Office and sometimes deal with an employee that want to ship items in his/her way. Because some people don't read the USPS manual or have a different interpretation of the rules. In special the "Flexibility Test".

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/301.htm

quote:
None of the above carry online tracking.

The USPS is using this year the "Delivery Confirmation International" as excuse for the increases of 2013. The big problem, it isn't guarantee or will be available for every country like International Priority Mail Delivery Confirmation.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
Just because one very fortunate person has never had any post go missing does not prove or demonstrate in any way that 99.9% of lost post claims are 100% fraudulant.

It's a fair cop, you got me there guv! Statistics damned statistics!!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
The majority of my packages are one or two cards. Usually 2 ounces since I use the routine: penny sleeve, toploader, team bag, double layer of cardboard, and a bubble mailer.

US used to be $1.68. Now it's $1.69.

But... (you knew that was coming, didn't you)

2 ounces, First Class Mail International parcel used to be $3.78. Today? $6.16!

I'm sorry all international customers, but it looks like shipping will be more expensive than the card in many cases.

And I know Wolfie will ask, NO I won't put it in a plain white envelope and stick a stamp on it. If it's important enough to buy or trade for, it's important enough to ship it properly.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5081 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Yeah, yesterday I shipped my first card to the UK since the increase. I charged $6, but the cost was $6.55. Factor in the cost of the padded envelope and the 9% fee eBay charges on the shipping cost, and I lost $2 on shipping a $10 card. I will still sell to the UK, but trading to the UK is going to have to end Frown

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
Yeah, yesterday I shipped my first card to the UK since the increase. I charged $6, but the cost was $6.55. Factor in the cost of the padded envelope and the 9% fee eBay charges on the shipping cost, and I lost $2 on shipping a $10 card. I will still sell to the UK, but trading to the UK is going to have to end Frown

Charging a fee on international shipping is a huge ripoff because there is no good way to offer free international shipping. You would have to either add the international rate into your retail price and screw your domestic customers or take a big loss on your international sales.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Factor in the cost of the padded envelope and the 9% fee eBay charges on the shipping cost, Frown

I believe ebay charges either 11% or 12% fee on the shipping cost, but It does not charge the fee for International shipping only domestic shipping.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:
quote:
Factor in the cost of the padded envelope and the 9% fee eBay charges on the shipping cost, Frown

I believe ebay charges either 11% or 12% fee on the shipping cost, but It does not charge the fee for International shipping only domestic shipping.

I don't think it's as high a percentage, but they charge me a fee on international shipping.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I checked and it looks like they are charging me a fee based on the listed domestic shipping rate for international sales.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:
quote:

The percentage charged depends on the category but the fee is charged on the whole value of the sale. As far as I can see from the eBay help pages, there is no differentiation between international and domestic shipping. To quote:

"Final Value Fee:

If the item sells, you're charged a final value fee. Final value fees are calculated based on the total amount of the sale and are charged per item.

The total amount of the sale is the final price of the item, shipping charges, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included."

I did list some items on eBay.com instead of my usual eBay.co.uk last year to see if it attracted more interest/bids. All it actually attracted were higher fees as I was hit with the same percentage on the value of the item and the shipping charge whether items sold to buyers in the USA or UK. That's not an experiment I will be repeating any time soon Frown

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisahend:
I checked and it looks like they are charging me a fee based on the listed domestic shipping rate for international sales.

Thanks for the info, You are right I have found I have been charged the fee for shipping to international buyers "when" I have a domestic shipping amount listed. 99% of my listings have free shipping for US buyers.

That explains why I have only had 2 shipping fees for International buyers in the past couple of months

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
I'm already thinking how I'm going to be able to afford to trade or buy items from the US as this is simply ridiculous.

I've already had one seller come back to me saying postage will be more than quoted on a few best offers I put in. Luckily it is quite a few cards of around the $10 per card mark so the pain isn't too bad, works out for combined postage at about $.75 per card increase. However individual card purchases of cards less than $10 will have to almost cease (it is going have to be good card the justify $6 postage).

My other big worry is how is this going to translate for buying boxes from the US. As I understand larger packages are going up but by not a big a margin?

Shake Head

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JR2D2,

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My other big worry is how is this going to translate for buying boxes from the US. As I understand larger packages are going up but by not a big a margin?

It depends about shipping service, offline or online postage, and country, but International in general receive a big hit.

International Priority Mail "Commercial Base" prices for regular Priority Mail. I see an increase from $3 to $6. Mexico is now considered as other country for the Worldwide prices. So their prices aren't similar anymore to Canada. And Flat Rate Products for International have a big increase.

For example:

Small Flat Rate Worldwide
$16.95

$23.95

Medium Flat Rate Box for Worldwide
$47.95

$59.95

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I still find it funny though the way some sellers view is that a $1 promo is something they cannot possibly afford to lose and therfore must charge $30 for postage so that it can be tracked across the planet. Big Grin

I just saw a single card priced at $45 or best offer with economy international shipping charged at $100, protected with just a top loader. Just LoL, hahahah

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just saw a single card priced at $45 or best offer with economy international shipping charged at $100, protected with just a top loader. Just LoL, hahahah

It looks like the seller is playing a "go away" tactic or "you wanna, pay my price".

Seriously, I will not recommend any. If you aren't interesting to sell International just be clear about it.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Some sellers have coped well with the changes; others are just having a laugh.

There is a $4 card on BIN that i'd like, postage listed as $16.75 normal International US to UK.

I contacted seller and he reduced it- by a whole $4.

Considering another seller just posted me out 16 foil base cards for that price, I think they are taking the P!

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are still good sellers. On my recent purchases, one charged me $4.50 for 6 cards. And the other one gives free shipping, but since a week ago he now charges $1.50. Smile

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Oh yes certainly. I think 16 foil base for $12.75 was very reasonable!

I also got a quote of $10 for 1-6 pw cards; for 6 that's great value but not for 1, or 2 which my enquiry was for..

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just had my first international shipping experience since the increase...I will no longer be shipping internationally because of it...it cost nearly $10 to ship 7 cards to Australia. That is insane. Not only that, but they now have to input everything into the computer when you ship. It now takes at least 10 minutes at the counter (not including waiting time) to ship one package internationally.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
Here is thought to US sellers/traders sending mail overseas. I just had a card sent to me as a normal letter from the US to the UK. It arrived in days rather than weeks and with a little tape on the edge of the envelope and the card placed inside a normal top loader it arrived in perfect condition.

It saves both money and time when sending a small number of cards. Only problem is no tracking but for a few low value cards that should not be an issue so long as the buyer/trading partner is made aware at time of purchase/trade.

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
I just had my first international shipping experience since the increase...I will no longer be shipping internationally because of it...it cost nearly $10 to ship 7 cards to Australia. That is insane. Not only that, but they now have to input everything into the computer when you ship. It now takes at least 10 minutes at the counter (not including waiting time) to ship one package internationally.

Chuck,
I ship all the time internationally and I haven't had a problem yet, Yes, even with this new increase.

I am hoping you already new that it would cost $10 to ship internationally. If you didn't you can calculate the costs of your shipping using the USPS website, And You don't need to wait for the postal worker to input the information, all you have to do is Print and Pay for the shipping label using ebay shipping and the payment comes out of your paypal account. That way the post office only has to scan the package in. Hope this helps.