Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Import Charges
 Login/Join

posted
There are lots of cards that I see for sale on Ebay that are shipped via the Global Shipping Program. Some of the cards are for sale for under $5 with International Shipping charges of $25 - $30. These charges are high but I realise that there is an element of insurance and protection for the seller. What I don't understand is the additional $10 - $15 Import Charge. I know Tax or Duty is required for items over a certain value but why is it charged on a card with a low selling price. Can someone please explain what this Import Charge is for as paying up to $40 shipping on a single $5 card is preventing me from adding to my collection.

Posts: 26 | Location: Wales UK | Registered: January 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I only see GSP on an auction and i just move on, the whole thing is a farce, i suggest you do the same.

....and no i realise this does not answer your question.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian T:
There are lots of cards that I see for sale on Ebay that are shipped via the Global Shipping Program. Some of the cards are for sale for under $5 with International Shipping charges of $25 - $30. These charges are high but I realise that there is an element of insurance and protection for the seller. What I don't understand is the additional $10 - $15 Import Charge. I know Tax or Duty is required for items over a certain value but why is it charged on a card with a low selling price. Can someone please explain what this Import Charge is for as paying up to $40 shipping on a single $5 card is preventing me from adding to my collection.

Brian, since we left EU we have to pay VAT on all purchases under a certain amount at time of purchase. So a $10 card now attracts VAT (plus other brokerage charges) the VAT is charged on total cost - including postage. Before we only paid VAT on items over £35?

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by Brian T:

Brian, since we left EU we have to pay VAT on all purchases under a certain amount at time of purchase. So a $10 card now attracts VAT (plus other brokerage charges) the VAT is charged on total cost - including postage. Before we only paid VAT on items over £35?

I am thinking of doing a cheap little experiment as while what Hammer says is correct legally Ebay appears to be ignoring this and charging on all items regardless of value .

I know of a seller outside the UK who I have bought from before who ships free of charge and sells many under £10 items . When I look at his listings now as opposed to 2020 they all say " + 20% VAT will apply " . If I find something I want I will buy it and report back on what happens .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Two other options are:
1. Get a US mailing service box. They collect all your mail and then send it to you at your request.

2.A fellow collector friend in the UK has all his US sales sent to me. Every few months I gather them up in a parcel and he pays me to send it to him. Instead of dozens of packages going through the ebay global shipping program he gets one package that gets hit with a higher VAT because it is worth more. So, you could always make a US friend who you trust to do this for you.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You now pay VAT on everything that you import to the UK no matter the value. You also pay VAT on the postage and packaging.
Ebay will collect the VAT when you buy.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neilsy:
You now pay VAT on everything that you import to the UK no matter the value. You also pay VAT on the postage and packaging.

Everything VATable, anyway.
Books, magazines and comics should be exempt.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
I once got a case of marvel masterpieces with no vat on it. The seller had labelled it as printed mater and it got through with no vat. Cards should be exempt vat as printed mater but I think they just class them as gaming cards/toys and charge vat.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neilsy:

Must admit I had not realised that low value consignment relief had been abolished . Now what Ebay is doing makes sense from a legal standpoint although it does mean I will not buy internationally through them in the future .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response, it has been very informative. I did not realise that VAT was charged on the shipping as well. Looks like I will have to keep avoiding these sellers.

Posts: 26 | Location: Wales UK | Registered: January 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
me, i think a lot of sellers will sell fewer cards in europe; alone, some sellers sell and send with a value below £ 10. which means no tax paid for the buyer; unfortunately, some sellers want to follow the ebay program; but in my opinion they will sell much less than before.

Posts: 91 | Location: Belgium | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post