Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    the garbage gang 1985
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the garbage gang 1985
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted
Just found a huge bundle of very nice looking The Garbage Gang cards/stickers from 1985, lettered a and b and was wondering about value?
there's quite a few duplicates and some examples are
Drippy Dan 23a
Fryin' Brian 4a
Mean Gene 41a
heaps more...
I know the Adam Bomb one has some slightly higher value, but any info would be appreciated
Thanks in Advance

quote:
Please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord of the idiots

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cardscout182,

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hoffmaster007
posted Hide Post
It all depends on CONDITION! Series 1 (1ab to 41ab) are by far the most valuable. I suggest you look at EBay sold items to get some idea as to current value.

Posts: 161 | Location: Harrisburg Pa U.S.A. | Registered: August 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hoffmaster, so just checking Series 1 1a and 1b thru to 41, or is there a series numbered 1ab thru to 41ab, hope you can clarify, thanks

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Numerically" they were 1a through 41a and 1b through 41b. But there were 50 more of them with variant card backs, so there were 132 cards in the "complete set". (Note it's a multiple of 44, like just about all of the GPK series, with either card-back variants or double-prints outside the numerical sets.)

Was this series issued (in 1985) anywhere but by Regina in New Zealand (but distributed mainly in Oz)? There were several UK series in the early 1990s from Topps/Ireland and a gaming-themed set in 2018 from Topps/Europe. The Regina cards themselves say Topps Chewing Gum, so the best way to tell them from the UK cards (without the packaging) was the copyright year. Regina also made a Series 2 (1985) and Series 3 (1986).

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Thanks allender, appreciate all the info. when I'm on my next day off, I'll do a bit more checking on my collection of TGG cards Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently there was a 4th "Australian" series, still marked as printed by Regina NZ. About 1987 there was a UK release, which was translated into a "New Zealand" release that has a curved GG banner instead of straight. Making it even more complicated was 3 series of the same basic sets by Regina but marketed in Scandinavia. There appear to have been three UK sets in 1990-91-92.

There are subtle differences in checklist, wording, and copyright information in each of the regional variations. I'm having a little bit of difficulty verifying the complete composition of even the Australian set, since some collectors who didn't open the packs attributed some cards to the wrong release.

Some of the variations found in the 1980s were related to the lawsuit settlement with Cabbage Patch.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post