Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping rant
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted
I know this has been discussed on here before (heck, I probably have had a post or two about it already), but I have to rant a little against eBay sellers who charge outrageous shipping. I won 4 relic/wardrobe cards and a small set (40 cards) from one buyer. The shipping prices noted on each listing were very reasonable. The listings were all auctions with good starting prices and in-my-opinion slightly high Buy It Now prices. I bid on and won the cards, with no other bidders. So I got the cards at a good price. I requested a combined invoice from the seller, who responded with something like "I can't because of the weight of the screwdowns and the cost of them plus the weight of the set." In all fairness, nowhere in the listing did it say that shipping would be combined, which is my oversight. I was a little concerned, as the total shipping for these cards was over $20.00, and the seller and I are both in the US. Anyway, I got the cards today, and they all fit nicely into a small flat rate Priority Mail box, with some packing material to help protect them, and which costs about $8.00 to mail.

Now, I am more than willing to give a little on shipping costs, as I understand that eBay and PayPal fees are based on total costs, and packing materials aren't that cheap. But, $12.00 extra seems a little much. I sent a message to the seller telling them of my disappointment and feeling like I got punished because the cards did not sell for as much as he wanted, which was about 1.5-2.0 times what they ended up selling for.

Why can't buyers just figure out what the least amount they want to sell something for, and use that as a starting price? If you think a card is worth $25.00, but you list it at $14.00 with a Buy It Now of $30.00, chances are you won't get what you want for it. True, someone could buy it now, or a bidding war could erupt, but I don't see that happening much these days. Don't try to make up your lost revenues on the shipping. All you end up getting is unpleasant feedback and customers who won't return.

Okay, rant over. Thank you for letting me vent...

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So are you saying that all the cards you won were shipped in the same box, but the shipping costs were not combined? If so, I would report it to eBay for what it is worth and give him negative feedback.

If the seller didn't say he was combining the shipping, you probably can't hold him to it, even though a good seller certainly would do it. However if you are paying shipping on 5 separate listings, then there had better be 5 separate packages. If he physically combines all the cards in one shipment, then the shipping cost should be combined also to cover only the one package and no more than that for time and materials not used.

Just put it that way, without mentioning his not getting his price. You still won't win, but its a valid point, if he sent everything together while charging S&H separately.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I understand the frustrations. Within the last year I put a seller on my block list so I would not see his auctions. He would drop each additional cards shipping by a nickle. 4 cards cost me 11.80. It came in a standard envelop with 2 something in postage. When questioned about it, "Hey, that envelop cost money and I had to lose some of time at lunch break to go to the post office."
I understand all the fees of ebay and paypal eating away at profiles but most people know of the postal system works and when the seller is padding his pocketbook with excess shipping charges.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
A couple of times I've put 3 or 4 items in the basket from one seller - then tried to ask for combined shipping and the seller doesn't offer it (and you can't contact them either to ask!!). I agree that I don't mind paying $10 for $8 shipping to cover costs but paying $20 for $8 is ripping it.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Yes we have discussed it before. Thumb Up

No nothing will change. Shake Head

Don't bother contacting ebay, they don't care. Mad

The amount of cards i would buy in a week is loads, the amount i actually buy is next to none and it has nothing to do with the price of the cards, it is always because i am too busy falling off my chair laughing at the price sellers are quoting for postage.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
I have learned the hard way in the past so everytime now I will send a message to ebay sellers asking exactly what their combined shipping rules are. Then you just figure that into the cost of the item.

In your case if they are inflexible you let them know that since they do not combine that all items need to be sent in separate packages.

Not sure if I would leave negative feedback, definitely neutral and ding their ratings.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted Hide Post
Another shipping rant story from me..

As an EU buyer I rarely find a US sellers with reasonable shipping. Sad thing is that I have to pay between 15-30 dollars shipping for 1 tiny card. If I change the setting to US shipping it's half the time free shipping or 2 dollars for US buyers. So such a disadvantage when you buy from the EU. Not even speaking of the tax we have to pay. Then imagine sellers getting pissed when your offer is too low. Even though with that low offer we probably paying twice as much as the buyers from US. I bought a few times from USA sellers where I only I had to pay between 2-5 dollars. So Why is it possible for them to keep shipping low but not for others?
Truth telling I would be happy to take the blame if something got Lost and actually write it down if they would just use a cheaper shipping method. I'm missing out on so much because of the high shipping. Anyway I don't know if it's true. One seller told me EBay doesn't allow shipping with tracking and that's why he/she couldn't sent it for less?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nicole_oncer,

Posts: 29 | Location: The Netherlands  | Registered: March 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
After getting hit by this a couple of times I always just assume they won't combine shipping and bid accordingly.

eBay basically forces you to use expensive shipping methods that are trackable, for a lot of cards I think people would be fine with PWE shipping. . . Some people on boards that allow BST will ship cheaply.

Also I just ran in to this with a card I wanted to buy from out of the country. Getting it shipped to the US was almost a deal breaker -- I just adjusted my offer accordingly.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
There are certain things that rankle me about eBay shipping. I put three items from the same seller in the cart. I wanted combined shipping. If this wasn't forthcoming, I wasn't going to buy the items. As soon as you press the link to ask for a total, a message comes up that says you are committing to buy the items apparently without knowing if the seller will combine. Pretty shoddy.
Another "scam" eBay has the Global Shipping Program. I'm not going to get into what a farcical system this is, but the fact that a seller can't combine postage once an item is linked to the GSP. I won two items off the same seller and he apologised that eBay wouldn't let him combine.
The latest problem I've had is sellers that still have items available for international shipping, but once you've bought and paid for the goods, you get a refund blaming Covid-19 for not being able to send aboard. Two things there: 1.Take the items off worldwide shipping.
2.Don't bother to make worldwide shipping available again. It's a lame excuse.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
There are still US sellers that only charge $2-6 postage. They are sellers I have purchased from before and sellers I continue to purchase from

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nice to know it's not just me. I haven't left the seller feedback yet, but did send him a message expressing my displeasure. I doubt he will respond, and I know eBay doesn't care about this one way or the other, as long as they get their fees. Definitely not a seller I will deal with again.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree this may be a way to go: leave neutral feedback, give the seller one star for shipping, and then maybe leave some variation of the following comment: "Actual Shipping cost $8 but I was charged over $20. Unfair."

The seller can't complain about the weight of screw-downs and a set of cards plus the packaging material when he's shipping in a flat-rate box. I save plastic bags from the grocery store and use those for packing. It allows items to float within the box and still be secure. On top of it he can write off his costs (packaging tape, pens, packaging material, paper, receipt book, etc) as a business expense (I think you still get to write off 50% of those expenses). I get it that it's an extra trip to the post office but he knew that's part of the deal when selling on Ebay.

And yeah, since the seller did not combine shipping, then he should have sent the items separately. I would send Ebay a message about that. Simply state that is what the seller was charging for but then changed the terms in a way that favored only him. That's unfair.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
I have learned the hard way in the past so everytime now I will send a message to ebay sellers asking exactly what their combined shipping rules are. Then you just figure that into the cost of the item.

In your case if they are inflexible you let them know that since they do not combine that all items need to be sent in separate packages.

Not sure if I would leave negative feedback, definitely neutral and ding their ratings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just found a sketch card $1.07 at the moment will go for a bit more but US to UK shipping $32 - is that in a gold box ?

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately every so often we have this debate and there is nothing done about it .
Sellers particulary in the U S A seem to think it is ( carte blanch ) on shipping Internationally ,
and the only thing we do about it is moan .
Every one that has responded to this thread has their own ideas about handling and responding to it
International buyers especially buying from the USA are hit hard and if we want the cards we have to pay
E Bay do nothing about it except to find ways of being able to charge extra fees for everything they handle and do so we are stuffed there
i am sure that sellers are selling shipping supplies to their customers and not the cards and if you moan some of them want to block you .Ok the Covid 19 has disrupted this but sellers and buyers should give some leeway on this
Now I normally always ask the seller about combined shipping costs and if not satisfied I now give the seller a bad feedback on shipping as this about the only thing we can do short of not buying if enough buyers do this to enough sellers they might take notice .
On a closing note I have seen shipping advertised for one card as high as $62US for one card how dose that equate to supplies.

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
There are still US sellers that only charge $2-6 postage. They are sellers I have purchased from before and sellers I continue to purchase from

Quite right and these are the sellers we should all use. I have used these sellers recently both from America and from Canada.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hell no .
It is extra for a gold box

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Nice to know it's not just me. I haven't left the seller feedback yet, but did send him a message expressing my displeasure. I doubt he will respond, and I know eBay doesn't care about this one way or the other, as long as they get their fees. Definitely not a seller I will deal with again.

I leave 1 star for postage and communication, I don't feel it's neutral if they have supplied the item and at postage advertised.
I would not use again unless they have something I want and nobody else has it lol

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I leave 1 star for shipping and 2/3 stars for communication as they do not answer. Also some UK sellers are not combining shipping or just knocking off a £1 on 4 or 5 cards, then I will also leave a low shipping score always even if I only buy 1 card. But if they do knock a £1 off £10 you cannot leave a score for shipping as eBay class if as being discount. Although it does not seem to affect bid sellers

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Oh, nice to see I'm one of the bad guys again.

Postage outside of US and Canada is just under $14 for the POSTAGE, that does not include the sleeve, topload, team bag, the bubble mailer, and yes even the label. These all cost sellers money.

Now this is for shipping with tracking. Why is that important? Because on eBay (also on PayPal direct and by taking credit cards directly) if you cannot prove an item was delivered then you are left liable if someone wants to claim they didn't receive the item. No questions beyond do you have tracking... If not, you lose the case and lose the money. So in that case I am out the item, the money, and the postage.

So, I cover my tail and ship everything approriately.

Unless you are willing to accept not all mail will make it. Then I guess a Plain White Envelope is good enough for you. But it's not for me. I want you to get the card you wanted, and to insure that I send in a sleeve, topload, team bag, cardboard padding, and a bubble mailer.

For me, it's not about being fair. It's about realizing that people WILL take advantage of you if you don't protect yourself. This isn't about losing a trade card now and then. We're talking real money when you add up what leaves here every week.

I currently have 3 packages sent with tracking that are missing. I'm hoping they are just quarantined because of the virus, but eventually I'll have to deal with them if actually lost. This will be expensive enough, and they were sent the right way. With things going slow and missing right and left right now, I can't imagine being without tracking.

I will say that sometimes I'll get a Best Offer on eBay, and it's not everything I wanted it to be. But I'll see where it's going and figure they offered less because of the shipping, so I'll reconsider the offer.

But, for a seller to not combine shipping is bordering on theft. When it's possible at least.

And don't get me started on the Global Shipping Program. I'm starting to see sellers in the UK using it for shipments heading this way, and I avoid them like the plague. So I understand what it must be like the other direction.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

I currently have 3 packages sent with tracking that are missing. I'm hoping they are just quarantined because of the virus, but eventually I'll have to deal with them if actually lost.

Ed

Have you tried checking using parcelsapp.com, Ed?
I'm tracking a box of Flash season 2 box that I bought from you (ebay) on 24th April and the app says that the box left O'Hare International in Chicago yesterday having spent various amount of time in Phoenix, LA and Chicago.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post