Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    The Apprentice (Comic Images)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Apprentice (Comic Images)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Now that The Donald is running for President, has there been an increase in interest in his auto and ties from this Comic Images set ? Smile

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I would say no. There are so many people running for president they are a dime a dozen.
If somehow the Donald makes it to the Whitehouse, I think his cards could become more sought after.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are trying to inch up now, but Trump has a lot of autographs available and I think sellers would be happy if they could move them at the old prices.

Besides the random graded cut signatures and the Apprentice set, he signed in a couple of Leaf Pop Century products, has done numerous book inscriptions, has been on the speaking tours, and has plenty of oddball autographed merchandise.

I would imagine that the demand is up, as he is getting so much publicity right now, but in general autographs from people in the political world are not that well regarded unless you are a President or have a recognizable name.

As a celebrity Trump's Apprentice autograph cards had gone cold. As a politician it can only help. Unless he gets to be President they will go cold again.

Same thing happened with Mike Huckabee's autographs. They appeared just as he started to run in the Presidential primary the first time and got pretty high until he dropped out. Somebody's probably trying to warm them up again now too.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The Trump autograph is huuuuuge! It is, by any account that is to be taken seriously, the greatest and most influential card in the history of non-sports, essentially rendering all other subjects worthless by comparison. My own is stored by itself in its own binder, in its own room, in an otherwise empty house I purchased specifically to properly maintain this card in the manner befitting its magnificence.

The problem is, those cards were very easy to "pack search" for any pack that held the "Donald's" auto card is 25-30 degrees warmer than an average pack, and also has an otherworldly glow around it. Luckily however, they are impossible to forge as any one attempting to sign Trump's signature other than Trump himself will immediately suffer a debilitating aneurysm. Trump won this protection during some tough negotiations with Tibetan Mystics.

(OK, Mr. Trump? Is that good enough? Do I get the fifty bucks now?)

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw one of the Trump Comic Images autos sell the other day for $ 99, another for $ 51

His ties don't seem to be selling for as much !

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cool. What's the going rate on one of these?

The "D" stands for dignity.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the multi-case incentive auto, less than 50 were made

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I was recently in a bookstore and they had a table of signed books that come right from the publishers. They were closing at that location, so some of them were on sale and the rest just cost no more than the original book.

Well they had a few non-fiction and Ben Carson's book was one of them. Several signed copies were available and no one was looking. Politicians and financial experts may have fans, but not to the point where they will pay for their autographs. They will take them for free, that's about it.

If Trump gets to be President (I will refrain from further comment in deference to the forum) then and only then will his signature become sought after by more than a few speculators hoping for a sleeper.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The signature itself on the handful of those I've seen, is a bold one, befitting the man himself. On a purely collectible level, it's already attained a certain value that remains assured no matter what happens.
Comic Images, in that short time they thrived (and even years after with the "Apprentice" set), put together a fine collection of non-sports autographs for us to enjoy, and most if not all of them, using on-card autos as preferred.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
On a purely collectible level, it's already attained a certain value that remains assured no matter what happens.

Of course, but that was the stagnant value based on Trump's perceived worth as a celebrity with a TV show, which had peaked years ago. At the beginning of the year was anyone even talking about his Apprentice card signatures? If they were, it certainly wasn't to me. Big Grin

This is one of those rare examples where something happens that can significantly change the demand for a certain card, but in this case it can also be a demand with an expiration date. If by this time next year he is back to making real estate deals and building golf courses, so to will the demand for his autograph return to the previous level.

You get a spike, the demand goes up, the interest wanes and the demand goes back down. If the interest doesn't wane, then you have your sleeper card that will attain a higher value than it had and will hold it. Simple as that, but not too common given that the odds on most modern cards is that they are at their peak right at release and prices settle down after the initial buying rush passes.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Should he become President, I bet we'll see some of these sigs cut out and put into other cards to be sold as cuts. Roll Eyes
It's happened before...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Should he become President, I bet we'll see some of these sigs cut out and put into other cards to be sold as cuts. Roll Eyes
It's happened before...

I wouldn't worry about it.
He's not going to be the next president Smile

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Zing(!), but if the Donald were here, he might this very moment be softly saying to you (via an underling typing it for him):

"You've just made yourself a powerful enemy, my friend, a very, very powerful enemy."

You are a braver man than I...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the mid-1990s, after he left office, my late father met former President George H.W. Bush, and got him to sign a paperback of his WWII memories, Flight of the Avenger

Wonder how much that is worth ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I sold this almost exactly one year ago:

"President GEORGE H. W. BUSH Autograph Card #41/41 from 2012 Americana Heroes & Legends
Sale price: $174.99"

...so that's a ball-park estimate. This was a sticker autograph, but it was also the final card in the run and also the same number as the President he was (#41), so that probably helped some.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"If you're just starting to collect non-sports trading cards, Donald Trump might be a great gateway into the hobby" states Cardboard Connection's blog item Donald Trump Card Collecting Guide and Checklist Big Grin

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Good article, but I kind of disagree about the "gateway into the hobby" part. Certainly there is an increased demand for these particular cards now, but I don't see that as an extension into the hobby in general.

I have always found that there is a huge difference between trading card collectors and pure autograph collectors. As an autograph card collector I consider myself to be a hybrid with a much smaller market. Pure autograph collectors want the larger display pieces. They prefer an 8x10 signed photo to a signed trading card. Signed index cards, which was the staple of old time collectors, get the least respect. They are used now mostly for mounting and cuts.

For Trump, we also have the speculators who are starting to take notice of his cards for re-sale profit. So while I agree that his short term card values will rise, I really can't agree that we will get more non-sport card collectors out of it. It just seems too self contained and is very dependent on the moment.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well what do you know!

To the great surprise of many, including myself, Ted Cruz has just announced that he is no longer actively seeking the Republican Presidential Nomination due to today's bad primary defeat.

The Donald certainly appears to be the last man standing for the Republicans, so dust off those Apprentice autograph cards.

Hillary v. the Donald. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On this Comic Images set, are there there really 3 Trump autos or just 2 ?

I thought that DT1 was in the packs and DT2 was the case incentive

But some say that there was a third, an auto of him with a yellow tie, 50 made

I could have sworn that the DT2 (pink tie) was that "rare" incentive card

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have personally only seen the two autographs and the pink and blue tie cards. However I consulted an old NSU price guide from August/Sept. 2006 and I found in The Apprentice listing "Trump 5-case incentive (50) $150".

It does not say it's autographed, but I suspect with that price back then, that it is the card you heard about.

All I see for sale is the DT1 and DT2 and no one is calling the DT2 an incentive, but the fact that I see 2 of the DT2s up right now makes me think they are not so rare. Amazing asking prices for cards that two years ago you couldn't give away. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,