Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    GetGlue: Questions about the site and the stickers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GetGlue: Questions about the site and the stickers
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted
Could it be possible that I’ll be the first to post anything about this? I just did a quick pre-post search, and I got nothin’. Really? I’m the first????

Ok…..so I received my latest edition of NSU and was very intrigued about the GetGlue article on page 18. I tinkered with the site for the first time throughout the day yesterday. I now have 67 stickers, supposedly, and I immediately requested my first mail-out of “actual stickers” after I hit sticker #20.

However, I'm feeling skeptical and doubtful – some help with this would be appreciated.

Aside from the writer who wrote the article in NSU, who else has been using GetGlue??? It SEEMS like a cool site and the sticker designs look cool, but..... What are the actual stickers like? Are they printed with high-quality materials, such as the ones generally produced for doctors’ and dentists’ offices? Or are they sub-standard? What is their size?

It seems too good to be true to receive such an eclectic collection in the mail for free every month, so I’m naturally feeling skittish about wasting time on this. And, I’m asking about the quality in comparison to the ones from doctors’/dentists’ offices because they have the same design appearance……and if the GetGlue stickers are like those, then I'm okay with this.

Just wondering.....

Geoff

P.S. For those of you wondering what the heck this is about, go to: http://getglue.com Also, if you are a Windows Vista user like me and you also use Internet Explorer, I recommend NOT using Internet Explorer. The browser seems to not like GetGlue. I recommend instead that you use the Mac browser for PC's, Safari.

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
Oh, and one more thing……. For those of you who go for this, if you decide to use your Facebook profile as a means of logging in or registering with the site, make sure you edit your Preferences VERY carefully!

I didn’t at first, and the next thing I knew: 1) my Facebook wall was littered with posts about all the check-Ins I was doing, and 2) my email was inundated with all the stickers I achieved! If you don’t want your Facebook wall and email to get bombarded with tons of posts and sticker notifications, make sure you go into your GetGlue Settings and uncheck those notifications, or you’ll beeeee soooorrrrrrry!!!! I was, and I had to spend an extra hour undoing all the extra posts on my FB wall (I can still login to GetGlue with FB, but my Wall won’t show any of the posts now). I just deleted the emails, but that was over 70 emails……

Good luck, people, and I look forward to hearing some feedback from other Card Talkers about this…..

Geoff

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Geoff:

I tried it too after reading Ryan's article in the new issue (I got to read it a bit early Big Grin). I'm only up to something like 19 stickers so I haven't been able to request physical stickers yet. I'm looking forward to doing so though...curious to see what the Doctor Who and Torchwood stickers will look like.

I did not use the Facebook sign-in, pretty much for the reason you say, though it would be nice to have more "friends" which FB sign-in makes a lot easier.

Harris

PS You've actually seen our new issue before I have! Mad Eek Big Grin

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been using Get Glue for almost a year now, and in that time they have done a lot of improvements that make their site and the stickers a lot better. When I started using the site, I wanted to get some stickers that I could put into my "kid kit" that I use when working with elementary children (I'm a school counselor), so I started because they had Glee stickers and I thought it would be a fun and free way to get stickers that some kid might like to play with or have while I'm working with them.

Anyways, they used to come individually, 20 at a time, in a white envelope send to my PO Box. At the time, those stickers were pretty low quality- often off centered, matte finish and looked kind of like someone printed off a printer, punched them out and mailed them to me in bulk. I didn't mind because they were free, but they weren't easy to open, and I got a ton of duplicate stickers in my first couple of requests, usually of their logo, and I would get one or two "specialty stickers" and the rest were Get Glue stickers (for example, in my first batch, I got one Sherlock sticker, eight Get Glue logo stickers, and eleven stickers that were from the Get Glue site such as Fan, First Check-in, etc). After a couple of months, I think the company realized how much consumers wanted the specialty stickers, and I got more and more stickers from shows I watch and less of the "junk" ones.

Anyways, about five months ago they really changed their quality. The stickers now come unpunched on a sheet with 20 stickers, and three "free" logo stickers. The quality is MUCH better- thicker paper stock, glossy finish, centered printing- you can actually see and feel the difference. I'm much happier with the service now, though I find myself holding onto more of the stickers than I save to give away (I'm saying it is because they aren't appropriate for them, so I have to hold onto them for myself Wink )

Anyways, here is two pictures of the last batch of stickers so you can take a look at the for yourself. One is a wider view of all twenty, and the close up if of my favorite Doctor Who sticker (I haven't received Torchwood ones yet, but this batch was requested when I only had the premiere one, so I didn't expect it).

I took the photos on top of my MacBook Pro so you can have some idea of size.

Overall, it is a pretty fun site- basically like Foursquare, but for pop culture. Just make sure not to link your FB or Twitter accounts and you wont have the issues of new posts blocking your newsfeeds. Also, just remember that, no matter how many stickers you have in your online collection (I'm at 198 right now), you only get 20 physical ones once a month, so if you want a specific one, you might want to keep your online collection to a minimum to get the ones you want. I like the surprise though, so I check into all the things I like Smile

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
Well, it's great to see these photos. These stickers look good after all. I'm just a little bummed that I missed out on all the Dr. Who stickers. Of all the stickers I have seen thus far, those are the ones I wanted the most and they're all unavaialble now. Or so says the "Steve The Boss" from the getgluestickers site where stickers are listed. (He talks about the Dr. Who stickers HERE) I couldn't even get the one from this past Saturday because I logged in a day late. Oh well, not a big deal - this is still a very fun site and idea considering it's free. Thanks for sharing the photos!

One more thing.....how do you store these? Do they fit nicely in 8x11 document holders? Or do you store them some other way? Or do you actually stick 'em somehwere? Just wondering.....

Geoff

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
I'm glad people are finding the site.

A couple of things to mention that might be helpful:

1) The site GetGlueStickers linked in the post above is essential for anyone wanting to go big on the site.

2) There's also a smartphone app that's great for checking in to several things in a short amount of time (not so good if you have to type things in to unlock stickers).

3) I store the sheets loosely in the front of a binder pocket. While I like this new way as it provides less duplication, the old individual stickers were great for storing in tobacco card pages.

4) I highly recommend AGAINST attaching your Facebook and Twitter feeds unless you use it anymore than extremely casually (like watching a couple shows per week). It will annoy your followers.

5) While I don't do it myself, I don't see why people couldn't sign up for multiple accounts. With the 20 stickers/month delivery limit and not knowing what you get, a couple of accounts could help ensure you get what you want. For that, maybe use one id on a phone and another on the home computer.

Maybe if enough people get Gluing, we can start a little trading. I've got a couple extras as my first two shipments included almost identical stickers.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I remember reading this in the NSU, but I guess didn't really sink in.
I've just taken a look at the site, WOW Eek it's a little bit overwhelming. But the link to the forums with lists of how to get all the available stickers is extremely helpful, thank you Geoffbovey Thumb Up
It will be interesting to see how long my first lot of stickers take to get to Australia. Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
If you do not sign in by Facebook, it is darn hard to find friends!! I just tried to "friend" a couple of you here by entering names and email addresses and every time, it came back with "No Users found." It would be interesting to see what others are checking in with.

If anyone can find me, friend me. I'm definitely not using Facebook as my sign-in method though to facilitate it though. Otherwise, I'll guess I'll stick with the two friends that I have. Frown

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Hey Harris Wavey
You now have a follower Big Grin well, I hope it's you Eek

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
and I think I found you Riddler Wave

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
now I have a follower Smile

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
now I have a follower Smile

Yes you do!!

And thanks for following riddler as that made it easier for me to find him too. Smile Now if I could just find that Ryan character, I'd be up to following 5 people. Roll Eyes

By the way, how did you find me and riddler?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the "follow" settings too much. At one point I configured it to follow all of my Twitter and Facebook connections. How I did that, I don't remember.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Yes I'm having trouble finding that Ryan character too Smile

With you I, it took a bit of searching. I tried your email, but I then I thought I doubt he uses his NSU account for this Big Grin I tried writting in Toser and HarrisToser, but then I tried your NSU name and tadaa that was it! Clap

With the Riddler, I tried his username and a few different abbreviations with no success. Then I tried his email account, that was it Smile

Still trying to figure out Geoffbovey's too...

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How you look me up, that's your homework. http://getglue.com/findFriends

I just switched my email on there to ryan@tradercracks.com from a different one.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Cool. Now I see you (and follow you).

Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
am following the group of you
- not sure what this gets us though Smile

curious to see the stickers I get

I assume you have to go on the site regularly and check in
spent an hour playing with it this afternoon

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I find the getgluestickers.com site to be the fastest way to get "caught up." If you're into multitasking, I find my phone app is faster to log into things that are trending as I don't have to go through the searches to get to them.

When I first started using the site about 10 months ago I was on for a while each day. I bookmarked pages that need multiple logins for Fan and Superfan stickers.

In the last four months the site has grown to the point where I can't keep up with every sticker so I do a batch when I have time and try to remember my favorite weekly shows (like Breaking Bad tonight).

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
That's my big problem, I don't know when these shows are on live.
I know what day they are on, but down to the hour is sometimes problematic.

Like right now it's 2:30pm in the afternoon here in Queensland Australia.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Most shows in the US air between 7:00 PM and 11:00 PM. So for you, checking first thing in the morning would be when most are live. There's three time zones over here, which opens up the window a fair bit.

If you really get into it, it may be worth making a spreadsheet calendar with the different times highlighted or programming an Outlook, Yahoo, Google or other online calendar to remind you.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook