Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Card Prices
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
There's a promo card I want but it is going for around £13,00 (it's an American horror story Chicago expo) is this price right ? including the postage, it's the same price I sold 2 very limited star trek autograph cards for, am I gullible or is there something wrong here ?

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Actually, it may be ever so slightly high, but is pretty close to what I've seen when I was searching for them.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It also has very much to do with the novelty of American Horror Story on trading cards for the first time.

Other than the giant signers, Star Trek cards aren't especially popular right now (there wasn't even a proper set for the new movie), while American Horror Story is riding high with people eagerly anticipating the third season "Coven".

I love AHS, but I'd rather have the Very Limited Star Trek Autographs than some promo card for the same money, pretty much no matter what set it was from.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't like the idea of paying a lot for any promo card. The whole concept is that it is a promotion or advertising for the set and that it was supposed to be given to someone at some time for free or at least free with an admission or purchase.

Things have now changed and we have limited promos and autographed promos and special Con packs that contain limited promos. Big Grin

As far as your question goes, this stuff is new, AH is popular, there are a limited number offered on the market right now and the demand is high. So the price is going to be high too, its all in the seller's favor. You have to ask yourself two things:

Am I going for a master set? If you might be, you will need the promo. If you aren't, then you don't need it.

If you decide that you need it, the next question involves the number made. If this promo is scarce this may be the best opportunity you have to pick it up, even if you think it is a bit overpriced. I know I have overpaid for many cards and was still happy I had them. But, and here's the important part, if there are 5000 of these cards that are just waiting to be let loose on the market the price will sink as soon as they show up and you will kick yourself for buying at the highest price that will not be achieved again in your lifetime.

OK that's an exaggeration Wink, but you get my point. Find out the production run if you can before paying big on a promo and if you still want it then its worth it to you, no one else matters. Smile

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies ( I thought I was blacklisted Razz ) The Star Trek auto was Brent Spiner as B4 from the Star Trek Movies Heroes and Villains premium packs (so it was one of the main stars) I got 4 packs, had it twice and got £18.99 + £16.99, also sold a David Thewis (Lupin) auto from Harry Potter Heroes + Villains set for around the same price.
American Horror story I never saw but the card was a pretty girl, that's why I wanted it.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
The Star Trek auto was Brent Spiner as B4 from the Star Trek Movies Heroes and Villains premium packs £18.99 + £16.99, also sold a David Thewis (Lupin) auto from Harry Potter Heroes + Villains set for around the same price.
American Horror story I never saw but the card was a pretty girl, that's why I wanted it.

Just to add my 2 cents.
The AH Chicago promo card is rare right now, because the promo cards were received late and were only released on the second day of the show. What made the cards rare (There are 2 different Chicago Promos) were the cards were not placed in the package of Promo cards given with admission. It was taken from a separate box and only given if you asked the woman at the table for it.

Regarding the sale of your Star Trek Cards. I am shocked you sold the Brent Spiner cards for £18.99 + £16.99. These are very limited cards and have recently sold for £45.00 on ebay.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post