Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    twin Peaks Star Pics Autos?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

twin Peaks Star Pics Autos?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't see any of the Star Pics lots -- I'd be picking them up (assuming they are non-sport) for my collection.

I totally agree with you about the Farley. I hadn't seen it on eBay. It's the wrong card, signed on the wrong side, with the wrong pen, and the signature doesn't look right either.

If no one comes up with any scans for Twin Peaks Autos I will scan some of time tomorrow.

As always you should buy cards from a reputable dealer!

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hornetsfan:
I'd say 99.9% that the Farley on ebay currently is fake. It's on the wrong card along with the fact the seller has recently purchased 53 common star pics autos and recently sold 3 Favre Star Pics Autos is a huge RED FLAG to be skeptical about.

I guess your talking about sports cards. Of course I know Favre, but who is Farley?

Also many of the Twin Peaks and AMC autographs are over $100 so if you are saying that its being done for sports cards, why do you say don't worry about non-sport cards?

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hornetsfan
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to accuse any seller of doing this,(I know it's been done and card companies have graded forged Star Pics cards) but just be cautious of anyone buying lots of Star Pics autos and later listing High End autos whether it be sports or non sports.

Chris Farley from SNL. Reread what I said, the lower end names from those sets aren't worth being forged. If a seller is only going to get $25-$50 they probably won't waste their time or sticker. It's the ones that get the $100+ that are the skeptical ones.

Posts: 268 | Location: LEMON-ville | Registered: November 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that Farley I do know. Never been able to touch any of SNL autograph cards. Now I'm thinking that might have been a good thing. Wink

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hornetsfan
posted Hide Post
I think Non-Sport lots would go for too much from Star Pics so sellers go for the Cheap common sports autos which should be $1 each but it's all about the sticker and the forgers know that if they can get them to remove cleanly, they can resell a big name and make big bucks.

Posts: 268 | Location: LEMON-ville | Registered: November 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree, it's suspicious -- I would be weary of other cards that pop up from a seller who bought big lots of cards. I never realized Star Pics sports autographs were so cheap.

Other than this Farley -- and a David Lynch a guy sent me a scan of once I haven't heard of any suspicious Star Pics Non-Sport Autographs.

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... interesting info and great to know. Definitely an issue to watch out for, but hopefully still mostly contained within the Sports card circle. Glad I'm not a collector of those...

Any scans you have would be great Jon, thanks.

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It's a little gold "Star Pics Authentic" sticker on the reverse of the card by the autograph that certifies STAR PICS cards as authentic.

I suppose the little sticker could be removed, however I would hope the gold would show some cracks in it, at least where it was peeled up.

If purchasing a Star Pics autograph, your best defense is buying from reliable sellers, but short of that, always ask for a good look at the Authenticating Sticker itself for any tell-tale signs of it having been "lifted". It should be flat and perfectly smooth with no cracks of any kind.

I do not have any Twin Peaks or SNL autos, sadly, despite my best efforts, but I did get a Rene Tennison signed card from the Star Pics PLAYBOY set issued around the same time as well as a few sports cards, so that how I'm familiar with the stickers used.

I believe the only nonsports Star Pics sets with autos were TWIN PEAKS, SNL, and ALL MY CHILDREN. They released an "Alien 3" set before going under possibly a few others, but I don't think any of those had autographs in them.

On the upside, Star Pics was only in business for a few years total (from about 1990-92 or so), so there can only be so many of those little stickers out there for would-be cheaters to misappropriate. Eek

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to Becket.com forgeries of Star Pics autographs have happened, so it is possible:

http://beta.beckett.com/item/2000083/Football-Set/Colle...tar-Pics-Autographs/

Sad.

Jon

posted Hide Post
Here are scans of a few Twin Peaks autographs I have:

http://www.webjon.com/misc/twinpeaks.jpg

The other autographs I have and have seen from this series look similar -- the same pen, signed on the back with a sticker. The same also holds true for all of the SNL autographs I've seen, as well as almost all the AMC autographs I've seen (I have two AMC autographs that don't have the authenticity stickers, and one is signed in black).

I would be very suspicious of any TP, SNL and AMC autographs out there that don't follow the common pattern shown with these TP autographs.

Jon

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jack London
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
The owls are not what they seem.

I'll take an auto from the Log Lady. She had a really big pencil to sign with.

I actually met the Log Lady at the National Sports Card Convention several years ago. Still have the Twin Pics sell sheet that she autographed for me! Smile

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 1553 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My apologies for digging up an old thread but I found some very useful information regarding the Twin Peaks autograph cards. I found a site (dugpa.com) where they discuss all things David Lynch/Twin Peaks and they have some good info there about the autograph cards. There are 36 official autographs in the set. You can see the checklist of them here:

http://dugpa.com/forum/viewtop...p?f=3&t=349&start=15

Also a little further on Twin Peaks mega-collector Bruce Phillips discusses the legitimacy (or lack thereof) of the David Lynch signed card. He bought all the remaining Twin Peaks autograph cards from Star Pics when they went out of business (over 2,000 cards). Apparently the Lynch card is not an "official" part of the set. I feel badly for those who spent $1,000+ on it. You can read about that at the bottom of this page:

http://dugpa.com/forum/viewtop...?f=3&t=349&start=105

And finally there is a post concerning the values of each card. The pricing is from a couple of years ago so in today's economy they might have gone a down a little. I think the values are fairly accurate though. You can see them at the bottom of this page:

http://dugpa.com/forum/viewtop...p?f=3&t=349&start=75

Lots of good stuff around that site concerning the autograph cards if you are interested.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thank you for providing this info. Clap

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
That was a really impressive list of people who signed for that set. It's a shame Star Pics botched things so badly.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That's all mighty interesting stuff. I love TWIN PEAKS, but never really started collecting memorabilia from the show, although I wish I had. All I have is one of the Gold Edition DVDs that came out a year or so ago.

Oh yeah, I also have all the laser discs and an unopened set of the VHS tapes, but I doubt they are sought after collector's items.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. . .

Everyone is probably aware, but these are super easy to fake, and questionable signed Twin Peaks autos have been seen on eBay.

As for the values. . . I'm not sure how you can put out a value on cards that change hands so infrequently.

Jon

posted Hide Post
its too bad there is some controversy with these as i have been debating selling some of mine. i bought all of mine from the aforementioned Bruce Phillips from his advertising in the Wrapped In Plastic fanzine mny years ago.

Posts: 42 | Location: pittsburgh, pa | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scarredgod:
its too bad there is some controversy with these as i have been debating selling some of mine. i bought all of mine from the aforementioned Bruce Phillips from his advertising in the Wrapped In Plastic fanzine mny years ago.

But that's great news for you if you want to sell them. All you need is to have some documentation of Bruce Phillips having been the source of your TP autograph cards. This gives the cards providence because they came from someone who was known to have had the real inventory at the time.

Potential buyers will pay a lot more knowing that the autographs are from an authenticated source, rather than just taking a chance on what would otherwise be a very high risk purchase.

posted Hide Post
I have a question regarding some of the cards I have and didnt want to post a new topic if I can get some answers in this one, hopefully some people cn help out...hopefully this doesnt break any rules here either...

basically I have 3 cards I need to sell...Ray Wise (Leland Palmer), Sherilyn Fenn (Audrey Horne) and Sheryl Lee (sadly on the Maddy Ferguson card and not the Laura Palmer)...

I would prefer not to sell via Ebay so what Im looking for is for any ideas about what reasonable price I should put on these so I can get reasonable value without going the Ebay route...

if this breaks a rule here, I apologize.

Posts: 42 | Location: pittsburgh, pa | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The values on these can sometimes be tough to gauge -- especially in this economy. I have been tracking the prices of most of the Twin Peaks autographs that have sold on eBay over the past few years. I would estimate right now Ray Wise would sell for around $50 and Sheryl Lee as Maddy around $75. Sherilyn Fenn has a wider range; sometimes selling for as low as $100 and other times as high as $300. But I would say the average would be $150-$200.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post