Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Some questions for you about Ultra-Pro top loaders.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some questions for you about Ultra-Pro top loaders.
 Login/Join

Picture of James7
posted
So this morning I put 85 cards into Ultra Pro top loaders (in the non-PVC sleeves first of course). As I was opening and handling all the top loaders I began to feel sick, does the plastic smell of top loaders make anyone else sick?

Also, Ultra-Pro has on their packaging for the top loaders "when used with our non-acid sleeves these provide archival quality protection". But, is there any chance the acid from the top loaders can still seep through the sleeves?

I am considering abandoning top loaders altogether and just using non-PVC binder pages for my chase cards.

Posts: 34 | Location: USA | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WoofyTrades
posted Hide Post
Something like when you use a Sharpie for too long? Cause I got that every once in a while.

I use mylar sleeves with standard ultra pro 9x9s. They're easier to store (and show people) than top loaders.

Posts: 22 | Location: Non-Sport Forum | Registered: November 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I have never experienced this while handling toploaders and I use Ultra Pro products extensively.

Don't know if that puts your mind at rest though.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James7:
Also, Ultra-Pro has on their packaging for the top loaders "when used with our non-acid sleeves these provide archival quality protection". But, is there any chance the acid from the top loaders can still seep through the sleeves?

I am considering abandoning top loaders altogether and just using non-PVC binder pages for my chase cards.

Hey James, heres my opinion. Check your toploaders every several months to see if there is any yellowing. This is obvious against a white background.

If theres yellowing, then that toploader could be harmful to the card inside (and its worse if you haven't put the card in a sleeve)

If the toploader still looks clear with no yellowing, the card inside should be ok.

For the record most of my collection is stored in 9-pocket binder pages. The cards are sleeved first, and then inserted in the pages.

Unfortunately, the sleeves I've been buying from Ultra-Pro are NOT mylar! They have plasticizers that eventually can be problematic depending on storage conditions (temperature, light, humidity)

QUESTION FOR ALL:
Mylar is the best by far for long term card storage. Are there mylar penny sleeves that fit in 9-pocket binder pages, and where can I get them at a good price??

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BILLZEE:
QUESTION FOR ALL:
Mylar is the best by far for long term card storage. Are there mylar penny sleeves that fit in 9-pocket binder pages, and where can I get them at a good price??

Unfortunately Mylar Sleeve and "good price" seem to be mutually exclusive.

I bought some on eBay, but they weren't "penny" sleeves by any measure. "Dime" Sleeves, maybe. The sleeves I got are also open on the top and bottom, which IMO is less than desirable.

Just Checked Bags Unlimited's catalog, the most recent I have, and they don't list a mylar sleeve for cards.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had a problem with Ultra Pro top loaders. Never smelled them either, but sometimes they turn color or become brittle. Make sure to throw these out ASAP.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James7
posted Hide Post
Maybe if we could just find mylar sheets at a store, we could make our own sleeves. What particular type or grade of mylar is best?

Posts: 34 | Location: USA | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by BILLZEE:
QUESTION FOR ALL:

Unfortunately Mylar Sleeve and "good price" seem to be mutually exclusive.

I bought some on eBay, but they weren't "penny" sleeves by any measure. "Dime" Sleeves, maybe. The sleeves I got are also open on the top and bottom, which IMO is less than desirable.

Just Checked Bags Unlimited's catalog, the most recent I have, and they don't list a mylar sleeve for cards.

Ed

Ed, thanks for the reply. Was hoping that you would chime in! I may tryout some of those mylar sleeves (even with the cons that you described)

Just hate when those little plastic sleeves that I buy have gone "all cloudy-looking" These products are not at all platinum quality as described.

E Gerber Mylar has a website that reveals alot about mylar vs plastic storage. Don't know how I'd go about making my own mylar sleeves(?!) but I'd certainly buy them & gladly pay more for them. They last forever!

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I just use Ultra Pro 9 pocket pages without any penny sleeves. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've not experienced any long term storage damage yet.

Unfortunately a lot of plastic products can get an unpleasant odor and some items, like action figures, will show surface problems and even get sticky after awhile. Try to check your cards periodically and change any plastic that seems to be breaking down. The rest will still be here after we are all gone. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
I also use just Ultra Pro 9 pages and they seem to be fine. I also read somewhere that cards need air, I dont know if this is true but it could well be so.

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post