Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Exclusive Monsterwax Kickstarter card w/ new product
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exclusive Monsterwax Kickstarter card w/ new product
 Login/Join

Picture of monsterwax
posted
Monsterwax typically gives away exclusive Patron cards to every backer of our Kickstarter projects. They include the person's name and backer number on it, plus an image from the project on the front and an appreciation for their support on the back. These cards are limited to only the number of supporters for the project (always less than 500).

Currently, we have a campaign to produce a Chick tract parody comic that looks like a real 3 x 5" 24 page cartoon parody tract made famous by Jack Chick. The project was fully funded within the first hour, so all systems are go, but the campaign runs until midnight Aug. 19. The comic and card are $3 postpaid. So if you're a comic collector or card collector, this project may be of interest.

The Chick tract parody Kickstarter campaign

This message has been edited. Last edited by: monsterwax,

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post

(Image Copyright ©2021 Monsterwax.com)

Happy to report we just passed over 100 backers and $3,000.00. Thanks for all the support for our Comic booklet and exclusive patron card!

Chick Parody Kickstarter

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
When will you be doing parodies of all the other major religions' ephemera?

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
When will you be doing parodies of all the other major religions' ephemera?

Well they were going to do one where Muhammad owned a BBQ food truck for a living but then decided it wasn't worth losing your head over. Wink

I remember Chick tracts and there is no question he often took some ideas to the extreme. Such a product needs to attract a perfect storm audience and I doubt there will a mass response. This isn't a card product so it does beg the question as to why they are bugging us about it?

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I learned something today. Must confess, get it Big Grin, I never heard of Chick tracts. And now that I have, I know why.

Doesn't seem like there is a particular reason for a revival right now, I can't help the puns Wink, but Kickstarter is a place for niche things nobody wants to fund themselves. I guess the patron card is supposed to be why this is mentioned here, but its a slim connection.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I guess the patron card is supposed to be why this is mentioned here, but its a slim connection.

Not to mention it is a really ugly card. Smokin'

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Oh, come now... Should we not share any other paper collectibles that we find fascinating besides cards? Anytime something totally weird is made into a card, that’s newsworthy: and you can't get more weird than Chick tracts!

Okay, so there was the Kickstarter for Dog Turd cards (fully funded no less... and now they're running a campaign for series 2—but you only have six more days to poop or get off the potty!) So I guess it's not THE weirdest nonsports, but it IS pretty weird and therefore, of note.

If it's not your cup of tea, skip over it and don't support it. I see tons of nonsports cards I have zero interest in, or even dislike, but it doesn't bother me that that they get mentioned here. (I'm talking to YOU, Yugioh!)

From a collector's standpoint though, Chick tracts have a lot going for them. It’s more than just the cartoons. They are so intense, politically incorrect, and filled with conspiracy theories. (Some of the wildest conspiracies turn out to be true-- like Chick's allegations that there were Catholic “celibate” priests who were active homosexuals and pedophiles. That seemed like crazy sauce when Chick first alleged it in mid 1980s, but by golly, it turned out he wasn't crazy after all (at least, not about that!))

The way he hammered away cranking these things out, year after year (since 1961), drawing over 275 different stories. The fact that he was the most published author alive (until his death). And he did it all without any corporate money at all. He was everywhere, and yet nowhere, all at the same time. A total recluse, the media was only able to get two photos of him... one from his high school yearbook, the other from his actor's school in the 1940s!

And you gotta love the price of admission. His comics currently retail for 17 cents each. That's like the heyday of Nonsports, back when they were 15 and 25 cents per pack! So yeah, they're weird, but they're wonderful (if have a sense of humor and don't take his criticism too personally. After all, he goes after just about everyone sooner or later! Just ask the Masons, the Jews, the Muslims, the Catholics, the Mormons, D&D role gamers, and of course, my personal favorite-- Rock & Rollers!)

So if you want something unusual, entertaining and interesting to collect for mere pennies, these may be worth a second look. I'm amazed how many different sorts of people collect them already. Heck, some of my favorite tracts were ones I FOUND left out in public places. You can’t get any cheaper than that!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by monsterwax:
The way he hammered away cranking these things out, year after year (since 1961), drawing over 275 different stories. The fact that he was the most published author alive (until his death). And he did it all without any corporate money at all. He was everywhere, and yet nowhere, all at the same time. A total recluse, the media was only able to get two photos of him... one from his high school yearbook, the other from his actor's school in the 1940s!/QUOTE]

You do know that that sounds a lot like the Unabomber, right? See, now that's funny. Big Grin

Your posts have been very informative, as always. My own reply had nothing to do with specific content, as I was just going by your general description. Except for the mention of the patron card, there didn't seem to be much connection to what I would regard as the average NSU reader. I could be wrong, but there are other publications and websites which probably have a better understanding and appreciation of Chick tracts, which is something that I guess I managed to miss entirely.

To each his own and much success with your project. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
That's true, one could say both Chick and the Unabomber were "true believers" in a cause, and lose a lot of friends to further their goals. But then again, Chick didn't break the law or kill anyone, and that's no subtle difference. Both are interesting fellows. If I heard the Unabomber had spent all those years alone in the cabin drawing cartoons, I would want to see them. Alas, he just wrote screeds that get rather boring after the first page. But he's in prison for life, so it's never too late for him to try his hand at comics. You would think he would want to do SOMETHING...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mr. Monsterwax,

I understand how someone who has studied the history of propaganda could be fascinated by Chick tracts - how the messages were written and drawn - but you're giving Chick too much credit. The first and last time I saw one of those things was on the floor of an airport bathroom. I also understand that you're parodying the tracts but you seem to enjoy the source material a little too much.

In that one frame, his version of God reminds me of "Future Guy" from "Star Trek Enterprise."

I've enjoyed your Wrapper articles, especially that one on Topps 75th, and that "Lost in Space" art set looks great but I'm going to have to pass on the booklets. Maybe you can ask Ron Gross to do an "Austin Powers" set for your next project.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:
That's true, one could say both Chick and the Unabomber were "true believers" in a cause, and lose a lot of friends to further their goals. But then again, Chick didn't break the law or kill anyone, and that's no subtle difference. Both are interesting fellows. If I heard the Unabomber had spent all those years alone in the cabin drawing cartoons, I would want to see them. Alas, he just wrote screeds that get rather boring after the first page. But he's in prison for life, so it's never too late for him to try his hand at comics. You would think he would want to do SOMETHING...

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Oh, he's an acquired taste, that's for sure! But seeing how he successfully outsold every other living author or artist during his lifetime with cheap little booklets that people throw away makes it difficult to dismiss him. 900 MILLION sold... that's just amazing. And I don't know which title you encountered in the airport, but with over 275 different stories, there are more than a few sleepers! Still, the good ones are a lot of fun on a lot of different levels. I'm always amazed at the diversity of his fans, from far right Fundies, to far out hippies. In fact, the biggest collectors I encountered were in San Francisco and Berkeley!

But I'm not expecting a tidal wave of customers for it. The Chick fan base is not legion. I figured if the Kickstarter reached $1K, I'd be happy (and we've already passed $4K). So overall, it's been a very fun campaign. Kickstarter made it one of their "Projects We Love" and we got an unsolicited review from the Museum of Weird and Demented Religious Tracts that rated it the best Chick Parody ever, beating out some of the biggest names in the world of cartooning & satire (including Daniel Clowes, Charles Burns, Ivan Brunetti, and even the humor gurus at National Lampoon).

So I might be a little weird enjoying these things as much as I do, but I'm not the only one. It's a subculture thing I guess, invisible to most, and yet omnipresent.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Igot in on this one, not for a lot, I think just $10, but looks like fun, I have a couple of Chick's books and they are worth a look.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post