Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards and Stickers, oh happy day.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Cards and Stickers, oh happy day.
 Login/Join
 
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted
During my life i have come across people who collect stickers and i have met people who collect cards but not many who collect both.

In recent releases i have noticed that Panini are putting both in the same packs, a typical pack for say Harry Potter or Jurassic Park will contain say 5 stickers and 1 card.

This of course has been done in the past where card packs have contained a sticker.

This seems like a good idea as they can get two lots of collectors intrested in each set they bring out. Smile

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28833 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think the reason why many card collectors don't naturally take to stickers is the whole issue of the "mint in box" thing. To really enjoy stickers, you have to paste them into the book or at least on to something. Card collectors can't seem to do that. The books remain empty, and the stickers remain sealed in plastic. Even when there are probably a million of those little stickers and they are worthless anyway, a card collector can't seem to shake the habit. Big Grin
 
Posts: 9635 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't like stickers because they degrade over time. I have some from the seventies that the stickers don't stick to the backing any longer.
 
Posts: 1861 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A lot of 70's and 80's sets had a sticker in the packs with the cards so you'd think just about anybody who collects cards also collects stickers. I do. However, in the promo world I have met collectors who like just promo cards but not promo stickers. They're all promos and they all often fit in a sleeve and top loader. What's not to like?



quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
During my life i have come across people who collect stickers and i have met people who collect cards but not many who collect both.

In recent releases i have noticed that Panini are putting both in the same packs, a typical pack for say Harry Potter or Jurassic Park will contain say 5 stickers and 1 card.

This of course has been done in the past where card packs have contained a sticker.

This seems like a good idea as they can get two lots of collectors intrested in each set they bring out. Smile
 
Posts: 3660 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you really have to stick the sticker, just get two then. One to stick to whatever and one to keep like a card. I know what you mean, though. I never got into those stickers-in-books kind of sets. There was a British car set that came in two issues of a 90's car magazine. I did buy that when I saw it but I didn't stick them. I think those needed to be glued in.


quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I think the reason why many card collectors don't naturally take to stickers is the whole issue of the "mint in box" thing. To really enjoy stickers, you have to paste them into the book or at least on to something. Card collectors can't seem to do that. The books remain empty, and the stickers remain sealed in plastic. Even when there are probably a million of those little stickers and they are worthless anyway, a card collector can't seem to shake the habit. Big Grin
 
Posts: 3660 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't had that problem yet or at least I haven't noticed it - will have to check on that. I know my General Mills Star Wars stickers are okay. Are the ones that don't stick from Topps sets or some other thing like a cereal issue? I've heard some 90's stickers can separate from the backing over time. I think it was Promoking who mentioned that about a Batman foreign issue that was a cereal insert.


quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
I don't like stickers because they degrade over time. I have some from the seventies that the stickers don't stick to the backing any longer.
 
Posts: 3660 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The diffrence here i think is that the stickers that came in the packs years ago came on a card so the card collector immediatly said well i'm not peeling it off the card, it was like having another card.

With these the stickers are meant to be peeled off and placed in the book, it is after all a sticker set.

The great thing is that you get to collect a really nice card set at the same time, i have the Harry Potter one, a 50 card set only available in the sticker packs.

I was thinking that all the kids that collect stickers and there are loads of them in the uk will have a card in thier hands aswell, might get them to think what other harry potter cards are there out there. Smile

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28833 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok Stickers although I do not collect stickers as such I do have a few
My original Star Wars are all good but the large set of ROTJ stickers have quiet a few that are seperated from the card
I have a number of Pannini Promo sticker sets that are small bout half card size wich have seperation of the stickers and the sealed packs in a few of them , Although the Star Wars one says on the pack back ( diustributed by ALLIED DISTRIBUTOERS 3/24 Leda Drive Burleigh Heads QLD 4220 Australia ) Promotional sample not for resale
Regardless of opinions I am a small time sticker collectot and I think that as they are or have been issued in the set packs should be collected as part of the set
 
Posts: 728 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards and Stickers, oh happy day.

© Non-Sport Update 2013