Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Razor autographs - leave sealed ???

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/6567089695

January 15, 2011, 12:03 AM
hcbrewer
Razor autographs - leave sealed ???
Hello
I thought I would start a thread about the Razor autographs that are sealed in the top loaders. My apologies if I have missed a previous discussion on these - direct me if necessary

I am relatively new to the hobby and have recently started collecting the inkwork sets (May of last year) and have come across these Razor sealed autograph cards on ebay and at various shows

I am a little annoyed with them as they do not fit into 9 card sleeves
- I have been using the 3 card sleeves (long ways - feed from the top) and tapping them in place

People have told me not to remove the cards from the top loaders - as they will have more value as they are, sealed, which I honestly don't see how
- I actually thought this would devalue them

So I open this up to those of you who are wiser than me
- convince me not to pop these open and store them snugly along side their counter parts in a 9 card sheet

would love to hear other peoples opinion on this

January 15, 2011, 12:09 AM
Chuck Bartowski
I don't really care one way or the other in terms of the value, but I prefer mine in top loaders without stickers.
January 15, 2011, 12:11 AM
The Real Matt
When buying inkworks cards, I try to pick up the ones with the razor seal if possible. However when it comes to PC- it depends on the card/value/rarity. If card is a probable target of counterfeiters, I'd leave it on. If it's a low end common, it shouldn't matter much either way.

In the end, if you're planning on selling all of them in the future- I'd recommend leaving it intact simply because buyers see it as another layer of protection against fakes- and in theory, it would decrease the chance of damage issues from multiple handlings (surface, artificial inscriptions, corners, etc.) .

January 15, 2011, 01:34 AM
tangent
Many of these Razor autos are low value anyway because the market is swamped with them. So it probably won't make a lot of difference.

Saying that, I open the ones I am keeping for my collection (better display) but leave sealed any that I intend to sell or trade because many buyes want them sealed so they can make their own decision.
January 15, 2011, 12:18 PM
hcbrewer
quote:

leave sealed any that I intend to sell or trade because many buyers want them sealed so they can make their own decision.

thank you all for your input
I think I will follow tangent (and others) and open my own personal collection - so much easier to store - and I have no intention of selling them any time soon

I see the value in the authentication Razor adds
- this too me would be the only reason to keep them sealed - especially if selling them

January 15, 2011, 12:52 PM
cardaddict
The few I've bought were to fill holes in my collection (mainly ANGEL autos). They were immediately opened and put into the binders.
January 15, 2011, 04:43 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by hcbrewer:
I am a little annoyed with them as they do not fit into 9 card sleeves
- I have been using the 3 card sleeves (long ways - feed from the top) and tapping them in place

People have told me not to remove the cards from the top loaders - as they will have more value as they are, sealed, which I honestly don't see how
- I actually thought this would devalue them

As has been mentioned, most of these cards are Inkworks' commons and removing them from the sealed toploader makes little monetary difference. For the few that were limited, and are therefore more expensive autographs, it is better to leave them sealed in terms of resale value. If you know you won't sell them, break the seal and put them in your 9 pocket pages.

What I like about your post is that you say you are putting the sealed cards in 3 pocket pages. I've never heard that one before. Cards in toploaders are meant to be stored in boxes, you can find the ones that fit at hobby supply places. You could probably use any type box if you wanted, they are pretty secure in the hard plastic.

Now a penny sleeve should be used inside the toploader if you are doing it yourself, most of the Razor cards don't have that added and there's nothing you can do about it unless you want to break the seal, which puts you right back into a 9 pocket page anyway.

Your method of using 3 pocket pages is unique, but if you keep buying these cards it will take up an awful lot of binders. Wink
January 15, 2011, 05:06 PM
cheifbrody
I got Ashley Judd Wink
January 15, 2011, 08:19 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
I got Ashley Judd Wink

I don't think Ashley Judd had an Inkworks autograph card. You may mean a Donruss Celebrity card or perhaps something from one of the Cut signature products. She did have Razor material cards too.
January 15, 2011, 08:27 PM
cheifbrody
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
I got Ashley Judd Wink

I don't think Ashley Judd had an Inkworks autograph card. You may mean a Donruss Celebrity card or perhaps something from one of the Cut signature products. She did have Razor material cards too.

yes that's it,i m a trading card geek but sometimes i loose the plot Wink
January 15, 2011, 08:30 PM
Raven
The Judd is a NICE card, congrats. Thumb Up
January 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
william291077
I opened my Smallville ones for the same reason as cardaddict did and there aren't holes in the 9 pockets.

I have left the others in the top loader purely for storage because I am a million miles away from complete sets of there respective collections.