Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Anyone know what set this from?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know what set this from?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Listed as 2014 and the writing on the back reminds me of the MasterWorks release.
Still cant find any confirmation on where it came from.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233491258236

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ok Mystery solved. Found this on a different auction site.

You are bidding on a 2014 Leaf Holiday Bonus Gold Autograph Edition Signature Celebrity Signed on Card (never before released in packs). This card is in NM-Mint condition. Comes with the leaf pack that the card came in.

If anyone knows the history of these Holiday packs I would appreciate any info.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've seen the Holiday packs for sale on Blowout -- no clue where else you can get them.

A few years they have had autographs, a lot of years they don't. This card looks a bit different than that ones I've seen -- search eBay for 'Leaf limited inscriptions' and a bunch will pop up. I'm not sure if they were released in different years or what.

On the Limited Inscriptions cards the information about who signed on the back is a sticker applied to the card.

The limited inscription cards came from 2012 Holiday Packs.

Here are the signatures I've picked up from that release:

Aisha Tyler
Alexander Ludwig
Brian Posehn
Camilla Luddington
Dylan O-Brien
Elizabeth Reaser
Ellen Page
George RR Martin
Ginnifer Goodwin
Jack Quaid
Jason Biggs
Jennifer Morision
Joshua Dallas
Karl Urban
Laurie Holden
Lyndsy Fonseca
Molly Quinn
Noah Wyle
Olivia Thirlby
RZA
Steven Yeun
Terry Crews
Tom Welling

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

If ya ever want to get rid of the Biggs, Page or Crews make sure I am first in line please. Wink

Looking into it a bit more it looks like they started out as something like dealer incentives. I believe they went from 2013 to 2016.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old thread but on the Leaf Holiday Bonus packs, they are from a program that not every hobby store may be part of. It is a dealer incentive and it might depend on the store but I heard a Youtube guy say you received a free pack when you bought $50 worth of Leaf product. It appears Leaf does it every year.

I went to a sports card shop today to buy a pack of sleeves and saw packs from 2021 and last year for $12.50 each in the case near the register. I didn't know anything about them but it said there were mixed sports and non-sports in them with one premium hit. I was in a gambling mood and decided to try my luck hoping for a non-sports goodie, buying a 2021 pack. I thought there would be a few cards inside but there was just one, a Clayton Beeter (baseball) printing plate in a sleeve and top loader. Fancy.

I decided to research these cards a little and found a Youtube video of a dealer opening 100 2022 packs. He must've bought some premium product to get that many. I watched the whole 28-minute video. He didn't get one non-sports card, most being either football or baseball (just a few baskeball and a boxing or MMA card). He noted that it probably wasn't worth it to pay $11-13 for a pack as most of the cards are worth $5 at best so it's a nice little bonus if you're already spending good money on Leaf stuff but not really worth $12 as a blind buy. To me the best card he pulled was a Nick Bosa one (49ers) though as many might know, Leaf doesn't have a license for sports cards so all the athletes are wearing college uniforms or perhaps Photoshopped uniforms with logos/patches removed.

Maybe there were more non-sports cards in the older packs.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Maybe there were more non-sports cards in the older packs.

Naw, as best I can tell sports dominated the product which is what made it not worth it for me to chase packs in any way. Leaf's side products often introduce first time (and possibly only) non sports signers so it's fun to look for them every now and then.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think there are only non-sport cards in a couple of years.

It has always been hard for me to understand what is in these packs. I wonder if anyone on the sports side has ever tried to do any sort of a checklist on these.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I decided to research these cards a little and found a Youtube video of a dealer opening 100 2022 packs. He must've bought some premium product to get that many.

I've watched some of Leaf's Whatnot streams and they sold these in groups of 10 and 25, so it's fairly easy for someone to end up with a ton.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In that 100 pack opening video, a number of the cards were autographs (maybe 35-40%) I watch football and some basketball and less baseball. Most of the players were unfamiliar to me with some of those cards marked as "prospects." About the same amount were "1/1 pre-production proofs" of autograph cards that were unsigned. Maybe 4-5 of the cards were printing plates. I think there were also a few sports chase cards.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I think there are only non-sport cards in a couple of years.

It has always been hard for me to understand what is in these packs. I wonder if anyone on the sports side has ever tried to do any sort of a checklist on these.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post