Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Disney: Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney: Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
I'm not sure if this is the right area for this (or if I'm violating any policy by posting the below links) but... Disney has released a new game called Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom that is card based and only being released at the Disney Parks starting in February. I'm not sure if this is a limited time thing or not but some details on the game in general can be found on the Disney Parks Blog http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/01/page/2/

There are scans of most of the cards (70 at the moment) here http://destinationvinylmation....dom-cards-checklist/

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I like those! its cool to see a CCG for Disney. I really like card #65 Jasmine's Magic Carpet Tassels of Fury!!!! lol great stuff

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
It isn't for a limited time. Disney has something similar (minus the cards) at Epcot. It's called the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure and it's been around for years. My kids love that game and are looking forward to trying the Sorcerers game this summer. Of course, I'm interested in getting the cards. Wink When you play, you get five free cards. Since Disney never misses a marketing opportunity, you can buy additional packs of cards.

I've been reading reports on various Disney forums that because some of the cards are rare or more-sought-after (like the one with Mickey on it), "creepy" people are hanging around the game portals trying to scam guests for the rare cards they don't realize they have.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:
I've been reading reports on various Disney forums that because some of the cards are rare or more-sought-after (like the one with Mickey on it), "creepy" people are hanging around the game portals trying to scam guests for the rare cards they don't realize they have.

What a bummer- I personally would use a harsher word than creepy for those guys but it probably would be flagged Roll Eyes

I wonder if this would be exclusive to the Magic Kingdom/Disney World or if the Disneyland people will be able to get in on this as well

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's funny because everything at Disney is controlled and I think Security would take care of anything that might cause complaints from guests. What happens in the Kingdom stays in the Kingdom. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
Only singles and very expensive cards on Ebay. I would love to buy a box of these.
If anyone is going to the park, send me an email.

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
There is also a cast card given to people who worked on the project and some variants..changes made to the cards during testing and final release.
APparently the game is kinda cute. It's not a CCG in the usual sense. It's an interactive game. You have a key and a map and you find portal throughoutthe park. The key starts the game and you are give an enemy to fight...evil sorceress. Scar the Tiger, whatever. ..he casts an animated spell at you via the screen and you pick through your cards to find a counter attack hold it up to the screen and the game reads it and provides the animated spell in return. THis goes back and forth untilo there is a winner (weighted heavily to allow kids to win of ocurse!!!) The kids were nuts for it.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Szym:
Only singles and very expensive cards on Ebay. I would love to buy a box of these.
If anyone is going to the park, send me an email.

These don't come in box form.

If anyone listens to The Dis Unplugged Podcast, the last episode talked about this program. It sounds really cool!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
It isn't for a limited time. Disney has something similar (minus the cards) at Epcot. It's called the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure and it's been around for years. My kids love that game and are looking forward to trying the Sorcerers game this summer. Of course, I'm interested in getting the cards. Wink When you play, you get five free cards. Since Disney never misses a marketing opportunity, you can buy additional packs of cards.

My understanding is that it's expected that the cards will eventualy be sold in packs but that's not happening yet. At the moment you can only get the free 5-card pack when you play the game and that's being limited to 1 pack per person per day.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
So, if a family of four plays the game, each person will get a pack of cards?

Here's a Disney video about the game:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.c...-magic-kingdom-game/

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, if a family of four plays the game, each person will get a pack of cards?

Here's a Disney video about the game:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.c...-magic-kingdom-game/

Yes, it's one pack per person per day. You just need your theme park ticket/pass to get the pack.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Thanks! My parents are coming with us, so that would be six packs every time we go to the Magic Kingdom. It'll be interesting to see how close I can get to a complete set (not including the cast member exclusives and test cards).

With transportation cards, pilot/license cards for select attractions, Wild About Safety cards, arcade cards, and Sorcerers cards, I think half of my suitcase will be filled with sleeves, top loaders, and team bags.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! My parents are coming with us, so that would be six packs every time we go to the Magic Kingdom. It'll be interesting to see how close I can get to a complete set (not including the cast member exclusives and test cards).

With transportation cards, pilot/license cards for select attractions, Wild About Safety cards, arcade cards, and Sorcerers cards, I think half of my suitcase will be filled with sleeves, top loaders, and team bags.

The problem in making a set at the moment is that cards 61-70 are no longer being distributed but you'll be getting 30 cards at a time. Hopefully if you get dupes you'll be able to trade them off. At any rate, sounds like you're going to have a great time.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The latest rumor is that you need your key (given out with the map and your first pack) to get additional packs of cards. So... for those of you going to WDW and getting a pack(s) each day, make sure you have your key with you.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Still no word on when cards might be sold in packs, but there will be new cards released soon including Captain Jack Sparrow.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
This set is hard to collate. I picked up 24 packs during my vacation, for a total of 120 cards. I'm eight cards short of a complete set from 1 to 60. Cards 61 to 70 are still not available, nor have any new cards been released. You have to present your park pass (or room key, if you bought park tickets to be included on the key when you booked the room) in order to get a pack. The pass is swiped by a cast member to be registered in the system, which prevents people from getting more than one pack per day.

Because so many people are playing the game, Disney locked it in easy mode for the summer to prevent a big backlog at the portals. As it was, we had to wait at each portal for two or three families to play before we had our turn. My kids enjoyed the game.

I've posted my list in the Card Trading - Set Building forum, in case anyone has spares to trade.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kbmum,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Disney has released more info about these cards and a new, in-home game. There are no plans to re-release rare cards 61-70 in packs that are available at the Magic Kingdom. However, they will be available in a retail version sold at the parks and the online Disney Store.

The retail booster packs will include seven game cards, one of four game boards (Maleficent, Dr. Facilier, Jafar and Cruella DeVil), game tokens and a checklist. One of the seven cards will be a super rare. The retail cards WILL work at portals in the Magic Kingdom and you can use cards from the park in the home game. The cost for each booster pack will be $11.95 (plus shipping) and there is an expected, but not firm, release date of August. This being Disney, there are plans to offer other merchandise, including a binder, t-shirts and pins.

I'm really interested in the binder. During my trip, I saw a woman playing the game with her granddaughter. She had the cards in an Ultra Pro collector's album (the kind with the pages bound in). By putting two cards in each pocket (back-to-back), all of the cards fit in the binder. She said her granddaughter didn't have to fuss with a stack of cards, just hold up the binder page to the portal to use a card. It kept them clean, too. I was thinking of getting the same one for the next time we go, but I'm going to hold off until I see the Disney binder.

Here's the Disney Parks blog link with the details (the pictures will expand when you click on them).

http://disneyparks.disney.go.c...Disney+Parks+Blog%29

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If anyone is going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, make sure you get the exclusive Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom Card. According to AllEars.net (which is where I found the image and info) it's one per person and your ticket will be punched.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Im not a huge fan of CCGs but im a huge fan of Disney.

Not going anytime soon sadly but are these available from ALL Disney Parks eg France or only USA?
And is it BOTH USA parks - if its only America?

Thanks for posting photos Big Grin

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Really like the Halloween Disney cards.

Plus the phrase 'Chipmunk subterfuge' makes me laugh.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post