Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What's up with Rittenhouse?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up with Rittenhouse?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of TWS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had nothing but sterling service from Cryptozoic. At the moment, after a couple of swapped messages, I have a redeemed card winging it's way to me. The redemption was out of date, but they have still honoured it for me Clap Thumb Up

Graham Buddy, You are lucky and I am truley happy for you. Maybe that was before they changed for the worse. Now we all might want to be careful buying boxes of Crypo from shows. They want an itemized receipt and most of us buy boxes for cash. Even thought it is Cryptozoic's mistake they try and get out of resolving it. I never had a problem with Rittenhouse Archives, Topps, Panini or Breygent ever! Really bugs me because it's their mistake and they don't know the words "We are sorry".. Here's is their response to a shortage request with box and case numbers submitted: "We will look into it and let you know what we decide after you send us your original receipt and box" You will hear from us on an outcome if there is a resolution found. Holy ****. Makes me not want to buy Crypto boxes. They short customers and don't care. I know this post will generate negative responses but personally I don't care but also I want to let everyone know what to expect when Cryptozoic shorts your boxes and cases. Now I have to go back and see if I can find a receipt from early 2013. Thank you Rittenhouse Archives, Topps, Panini and Breygent for not putting us through this when we let you know of a short box.

Posts: 2099 | Location: none | Registered: September 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm not complaining about CZE service because I've never tried to deal with them, but I do have to say that the idea of submitting a receipt to prove your purchase is contrary to the way this hobby works and I'm sure they know it. I buy boxes from several sources and I almost never get a receipt and I would never ask for one if I didn't.

As long as you have the box that should be enough to make the odd claim. All card companies keep records and it's easy enough to see when someone is abusing the system. Asking for documentation that you are unlikely to have is just a way to make it harder to process a rightful claim.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
I like their stuff in general, but haven't been compelled lately to pick anything up. I've done the Bonds, but I don't think I've done anything past the 50th anniversary.

I was looking forward to more Irwin Allen sets, but I guess those never gained enough traction to continue. The Twilight Zone stuff was nice but I think they may have mined that for all it had.

The premium format kinda turns me off...I can't wrap my head around the math that makes it work...(and please no long comments on it; just stating it doesn't rock my collecting boat Smile )

I like art work sets and hope to maybe grab some of the Marvel sets they've done.

Other than that, I'm kinda disappointed overall. I wish I was a Trekker as I'd probably grab every set they made. Some of them seem really good, but since I'm not a huge fanboy of the series, I don't pick them up. Smile

My .02

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anthonyd:

The premium format kinda turns me off...I can't wrap my head around the math that makes it work...(and please no long comments on it; just stating it doesn't rock my collecting boat Smile )

Big Grin Not a long comment.

I do like the premium pack/box format when the price is half that of a traditional box and the print run is sufficient for the demand. I do however absolutely agree with you about doing the math and I'm surprised that more people haven't noticed.

I can't for the life of me figure out how card manufacturers make any money on these ultra-micro releases of 300 or less premium packs/boxes. Even if they are priced higher and they blow out, how much money can the manufacturer make over cost to get a worthwhile profit on so limited a product? Beats me.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Only license I really pick up from RA these days is Game Of Thrones.

I hated the ending of Warehouse 13, so I wouldn't even want the final series even if they made them. I miss the BSG sets and really wish they would do another set encompassing the entire series as well as the telemovie.

I haven't been interested in any of the newer licenses they've picked up. RA really focused on Scifi and there doesn't seem to be anything new with that lately on tv. Its all superheroes with Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, Carter and Agents of Shield. RA had a great run with Farscape and then BSG, but there's nothing like that right now.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
I haven't been interested in any of the newer licenses they've picked up. RA really focused on Scifi and there doesn't seem to be anything new with that lately on tv.

What about continuum?

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I really wish Rittenhouse would pick up Orphan Black. That show seems tailor-made for them.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
I hated the ending of Warehouse 13, so I wouldn't even want the final series even if they made them.

Getting off topic, but I wanted to say that you are not alone. I watched the first two seasons and then jumped around for the rest because I thought it was getting away. The final season was cut short and the last episode was a very poor wrap up.

My big disappointments in shows going downhill was Buffy (many would not agree) and Dexter (just about everyone would agree). Lost was awful, but I wasn't invested, just watched the ending. I liked Boardwalk Empire, but then everyone wound up dead, so what was the point?

I am currently watching Justified, which is in the last year, and I just hope it doesn't end with everybody dying again. GoT seems to have a ways to go yet, but it is getting repetitive in it's "surprises" and it's abundance of anti-heroes.

I have been actively avoiding new shows like Sleepy Hollow and Gotham because I don't want to get sucked into these continuous plots anymore.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
To go further off topic... just recently finished watching True Detective. Was hooked immediately. Not been as impressed by a TV show in such a long time, or since The Sopranos anyway!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It was a great show and that story is complete, so there's no chance them messing it up by continuing it by popular demand and adding on to a story that's fine as-is, as can often happens to shows that are that excellent in their very first season. Even though there are more seasons of "True Detective" to come, each will feature all new storylines and actors.

The superb director of the series, Cary Jo Fukunaga (winner of the Emmy for his work on "True Detective") is preparing a 2 film theatrical adaptation of "It" the epic Stephen King horror novel that introduced the notorious villain Pennywise the Clown. Early accounts (including from Stephen King himself) indicate the scripts are excellent, and we know from the bravura scene from "True Detective" with the shootout in the residential neighborhood that this director can capture some amazing visuals.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh wow, funny you should mention IT CPK. That was both one of my favorite books and my most infuriating book. I loved the whole structure of it and characters until the last 60 or so pages, when the whole ending basically fell apart in mumbo jumbo.

The mini-series of IT with John Ritter was also pretty good right up to the weak ending. I was hoping that they would have changed it, but alas they did not, and it played even dumber watching it on TV than in the book.

By all means keep Pennywise, but that Big Spider creature that is supposed to be the cosmic evil force behind the whole thing has got to go. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Ha, good stuff, Raven.

My experience with "It" was that my brother bought it for his friend in high school for her birthday. I think he got it on a Thursday. I was in high school with no money, so I begged him to let me read it first. "Ok", he said, "but the party is Sunday".
I barreled through it (skipping school on Friday naturally) and read the last few pages literally has he was getting dressed for the party. I slipped the dust jacket back on it and back it went into the Waldenbooks bag.

As things turned out, I later really hit it off with that same girl the book was given to as a gift, and we've been together 25 years. We still have the book. It's in four shelf bookcase, pregnant with pretty much all of his work, pretty much the only "memorabilia" she keeps, in contrast to the hoarder she's chosen to share her life with.

The first 1,000 pages of "It" so are filled with some of the best stuff he's ever written, and the ending is still lousy, we and just about everyone else concur on that, to be sure.

The TV adaptation did what it could, but "It" is rated R, and should only be depicted that way. I'm hoping these movies finally give this thing the ending it deserves. King said it looks promising, and more importantly, terrifying.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of samauto
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to GOT S4 cards!

Posts: 504 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Only 3 RA sets scheduled for the first 1/3 of the year-- Star Trek, Buffy, Game of Thrones

A very light 2017 for Rittenhouse ?

I remember the days when there was 1 set a month, sometimes more

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I know. How many more Bond sets can you do? I thought there was talk of a new Twilight Zone set.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
•Buffy The Vampire Slayer -The Ultimate Collector's Set 2 (February 22, 2017)

•Game of Thrones Season Six Trading Cards (April 19, 2017)

•James Bond Archives: The Final Edition (May 24, 2017)

•Women of Star Trek (July 2017)

•Game of Thrones: Valerian Steel (August 2017)

•Star Trek: Beyond (TBA)

•Star Trek: Discovery (TBA)

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
•Buffy The Vampire Slayer -The Ultimate Collector's Set 2 (February 22, 2017)

•Game of Thrones Season Six Trading Cards (April 19, 2017)

•James Bond Archives: The Final Edition (May 24, 2017)

•Women of Star Trek (July 2017)

•Game of Thrones: Valerian Steel (August 2017)

•Star Trek: Beyond (TBA)

•Star Trek: Discovery (TBA)

I wonder if Rittenhouse is going to focus solely on those four properties for the time being: Star Trek, Game of Thrones, Bond, and a little Buffy sprinkled in.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't forget WNBA ! They usually do a set each summer. Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll bite.

Game of Thrones: Valerian Steel in August? What the heck is that, another set or a card game?

RA has only done one set a year on GoT through Season 5. Are you saying that's changing? Quick look at the RA website and I'm not seeing anything so far.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
RA has only done one set a year on GoT through Season 5. Are you saying that's changing? Quick look at the RA website and I'm not seeing anything so far.

It doesn't have a product page up yet but it is listed under the "Release Schedule" part of their site. Link is below.

https://scifihobby.com/releaseschedule-full.cfm