Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UK Dealers
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
Try this on for size:

We print our cards in the UK and so we have to pay the now 20% "Value Added Tax" which is garbage to start with. Then we ship the blank sketch cards around the world to artists (as you do). Remember I have already paid the tax on these when they were printed... so the artists finish the cards and ship them back to me..... But wait... HM Customs stop the cards and adds another lot of tax on them for fun and profit. I'm being charged VAT on cards printed in the UK which I have already paid VAT on! Oh then you add the £8 "administration fee" to every package stopped, (this is on top of the of the 20%). Thats the price of doing business in the UK now.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
For UK Cardtalkers more information on Customs and Excise charges can be found by simply googling "Customs and Excise charges" and following the links. It appears that it is no different than for goods you bring in yourself when returning from overseas.

I can only speak from my own experience of visiting the USA but there is a big difference in the value of goods you can bring in.Each adult is allowed up to £390 in goods when coming back via plane from outside the EU.It's why I always order loads of cards to be delivered to my hotel when I go to Las Vegas.I save more in taxes than the cost of the flight.

triplefrog

Having never been to the USA I was not aware of the value of the goods allowed to be imported, I was merely going by the Government website which clearly does not reveal all that applies. I thank you for additional information.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Ok now i'm confused. Are we saying that if you go out of the country you can personally bring back in £390 worth of stuff and pay nothing in import taxes but if you stay here and have that amount of stuff sent to you through the post then you will pay loads of tax and import duty.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
On the positive side - we don't have to pay import tax / duty on trading cards. Wolfie - please try and keep up. Big Grin

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
well that can't be right because everyone is complaining they do.

or am i missing it all again. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Ok now i'm confused. Are we saying that if you go out of the country you can personally bring back in £390 worth of stuff and pay nothing in import taxes but if you stay here and have that amount of stuff sent to you through the post then you will pay loads of tax and import duty.
Certainly no Import Duty on trading cards but we do pay VAT and a handling charge Frown One really annoying aspect of this is that the postage charge also incurs VAT Twak

P.S. I hope everyone in the UK has noticed that from Feb 1st we now have to pay 20% on postage for items sent to the EU ! Those bureaucrats in Brussels have a lot to answer for Twak

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Maybe i'm confusing things here with the wrong words.

Are we saying, go out of the country and bring the cards back in yourself and there is nothing to pay if below £390.

Stay in the country and have the cards posted to you, lots of money to pay.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Maybe i'm confusing things here with the wrong words.

Are we saying, go out of the country and bring the cards back in yourself and there is nothing to pay if below £390.

Stay in the country and have the cards posted to you, lots of money to pay.

Thats correct!Crazy world isn't it Roll Eyes.

My brother just got back from Las Vegas and I bought some boxes of Donruss Americana 2009 as well as some sports cards from an American dealer I regularly use and had them sent to his hotel.

I saved $45 on shipping as it's free within the USA and about £80 in VAT and handling charges.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thank you, i understand now. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
seems a bit extreme,going to las vegas to save on shipping charges Razz

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
seems a bit extreme,going to las vegas to save on shipping charges Razz

Beleive me we don't go just for the cards Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:
Try this on for size:

We print our cards in the UK and so we have to pay the now 20% "Value Added Tax" which is garbage to start with. Then we ship the blank sketch cards around the world to artists (as you do). Remember I have already paid the tax on these when they were printed... so the artists finish the cards and ship them back to me..... But wait... HM Customs stop the cards and adds another lot of tax on them for fun and profit. I'm being charged VAT on cards printed in the UK which I have already paid VAT on! Oh then you add the £8 "administration fee" to every package stopped, (this is on top of the of the 20%). Thats the price of doing business in the UK now.

And some people wonder why some buyers are keen to have sellers falsify customs forms. Basically becuase Royal Mail will try and squeeze you at every opportunity. Besides, they probably more than make up their money for the 'incorrect' forms.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
And some people wonder why some buyers are keen to have sellers falsify customs forms. Basically becuase Royal Mail will try and squeeze you at every opportunity. Besides, they probably more than make up their money for the 'incorrect' forms.
In all fairness to the Royal Mail, at least with them you have a chance of not paying any VAT and handling charges on goods coming in to the UK. If your package is being carried/handled by any of the other large courier companies, e.g. FedEx and UPS, then you will be guaranteed to be hit with a VAT and handling charge. Based on past personal experience with FedEx, there is even good chance that you wont find out about this until a couple of months later when the invoice drops through your door Frown

To Sci-FiPlanet: have you contacted Customs and Excise about this situation ? There is, or at least used to be, a procedure for ensuring that you don;t pay twice under these circumstances. I had to send a resin model over to the States so it could be used to cast a bronze figure and was informed that provided the right procedure was followed (and forms filled out at both ends) I would not have to pay VAT again when the resin model was returned to me. Sorry, I cannot remember the details. The VAT I had to pay for the bronze figure is another matter Frown

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

To set the record straight regarding Royal Mail and Import Duty. Royal Mail do not apply the fees it is Customs & Excise who do this. Customs & Excise then pass the charged items onto Royal Mail to collect the fees and pay them nothing to do this regardless of whether the fee is collected or not. The £8 fee you pay on top of the raised VAT is how Royal Mail get paid.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
custom fees will be in the the uk price.

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also looking for dealers in the UK who can provide boxes/cases of current product, some nice looking stuff on the horizon.

Posts: 21 | Location: Newcastle | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how to purchase sealed cases of products without having to resort to Ebay and unimaginable import/+VAT cost?! Eek

-TC00.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Anyone know how to purchase sealed cases of products without having to resort to Ebay and unimaginable import/+VAT cost?! Eek

-TC00.

email sent.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:
Try this on for size:

The £8 service charge Parcelforce sticks on everything is a joke but why can't you reclaim the VAT?

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
In all fairness to the Royal Mail, at least with them you have a chance of not paying any VAT and handling charges on goods coming in to the UK. If your package is being carried/handled by any of the other large courier companies, e.g. FedEx and UPS, then you will be guaranteed to be hit with a VAT and handling charge. Based on past personal experience with FedEx, there is even good chance that you wont find out about this until a couple of months later when the invoice drops through your door Frown

To Sci-FiPlanet: have you contacted Customs and Excise about this situation ? There is, or at least used to be, a procedure for ensuring that you don;t pay twice under these circumstances. I had to send a resin model over to the States so it could be used to cast a bronze figure and was informed that provided the right procedure was followed (and forms filled out at both ends) I would not have to pay VAT again when the resin model was returned to me. Sorry, I cannot remember the details. The VAT I had to pay for the bronze figure is another matter Frown

In fairness to them they can get stuffed, if you're just over the limit you end up paying over 50% more because of their service charge. At least with UPS/DHL/Fedex/whoever when you pay that extra it's because your parcel gets pushed through customs instantly, while with Parcelforce/RM you get to pay extra while they delay the package in customs clearance.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post