Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    International Shipping
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

International Shipping
 Login/Join

Picture of raider5gt
posted Hide Post
Hammer,CSI Dave,yes i have experienced that and had one auction postage cost at $32,632 LOL but like you lot said click on auction and its usually $5 Smile

Posts: 437 | Location: Gloucester UK | Registered: July 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
Some of the items I've looked at come up with over $18,000,000 for the postage... which I think is a tiny bit excessive.

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone seems to be understanding me. I actually got a quote from the seller for $55. I think its excessive for one card, but you guys in the US might know better.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I would have used more words than excessive.

I would love to hear the seller try and justify it.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of DaveSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
I don't think anyone seems to be understanding me. I actually got a quote from the seller for $55. I think its excessive for one card, but you guys in the US might know better.

Sorry Steve got a little side tracked, I have been quoted alot for insured int shipping fully tracked normally FedEx or similar and if thats all that a seller if offering it is on the expensive side for one card.

Posts: 2606 | Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
The quote of $55 for one card shipped to the UK is excessive. The cost for an Express Mail International flat rate envelope is $25, which includes insurance up to $650. The cost for a USPS GXG (Global Express Mail Guaranteed) envelope is $37, also with insurance up to $650. It's less money for Priority Mail and First Class, even adding Registered Mail (which insures the package up to $43.73).

It seems to me that the seller doesn't want to deal with international sales, so he's quoting a high price to offset what he sees as additional work for preparing and mailing a package to the UK. I can understand a small handling charge, but $30 is ridiculous.

Just out of curiosity, what is he quoting for US shipping?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kbmum,

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I asked a U.S. seller for a quote to ship one Autograph to the U.K., here is the response I received;
"shipping could be anwhere from $68.00 to $125.00 thats according to the shipping calculater,". He did not say if he was flying Club Class or Standard when he was going to hand deliver the card!!!!!

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Wolfiemail.........90c. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
According to the U.S. Postal Service web site, the cost to send a 6 ounce package to the UK is as follows:

1st Class Mail (delivery varies) = $13.60
(can ship up to 4 pounds but there's no tracking available)

Priority Mail International (delivery = 6-10 days) = $24.00

USPS Global Express (delivery = 1-3 days) = $56.00

I just used the USPS calculator for a 6 ounce package to the UK and got a price of $5.60. If you add Registered Mail to it, the price is $15.55.

The rest of the prices are for packages. A single card can fit into an Express or Priority Mail flat rate envelope, even with extra cardboard and bubble wrap, for a lot less money.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Padded envelopes / bubble mailers are considered PACKAGES according to the USPS .
It took me a while to get this clarification from the USPS , i doubt you'll find it on their website , i couldn't .
sumo

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sumozilla:
Padded envelopes / bubble mailers are considered PACKAGES according to the USPS .
It took me a while to get this clarification from the USPS , i doubt you'll find it on their website , i couldn't .
sumo

I think it depends on the thickness of the envelope. I've sent cards to the UK in bubble mailers w/ extra cardboard backing for just a little under $5.00 for 1st class international. The thickness was about 1 to 1.5 inches.

When sending by Express Mail, I always use the USPS provided envelopes and as long as it fits, there's never a problem, and usually goes for about $30.00

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Inkworks & Rittenhouse both use a toploader in a plain white envelope with a stamp stuck on the front to the tune of about 84cents and i have never heard of anyone having a problem.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Inkworks & Rittenhouse both use a toploader in a plain white envelope with a stamp stuck on the front to the tune of about 84cents and i have never heard of anyone having a problem.

The price 84 cents you quoted is last years price. The Price increased to 90 cents over 11 months ago.

And in the next couple of weeks it is going up again. But USPS hasn't released how much.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
The new rates are posted on the USPS site. Smile I think a card shipped within the U.S. in a bubble mailer with a weight of 2 ounces is $1.34 (under First Class Mail Retail Parcels).

Domestic:
http://pe.usps.com/2008_RateCase/DMM_HTML/ratesandfees.htm

International:
http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/bulletin/2008/html/pb22230a/imm_rates_001.html

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Hey 84c, $1.34, whatever.

That is all it is!

It is not $6, $12, $50 or any other stupid figure that some seller wishes to come up with.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is all it is!

It is not $6, $12, $50 or any other stupid figure that some seller wishes to come up with.

I am not condoning anyone stating shipping charges are $50 to send one card but,

This has been gone through many times, "Almost" no one who sells cards on ebay sends the cards first class international mail. It has been stated time and time again that paypals rules regarding shipping must have an online tracking number to qualify for the sellers protection policy. When an item sent from the US to the UK is to have online tracking their are only 2 methods...
International priority sent at the Parcel price of a minimum of $19.00 or International Express mail at a minimum of $34.00. It has been said Registered air mail has online tracking at a minimum of $12.00, but I personally have not been able to verify this. The Registered air mail I shipped was never updated online. Also the flat rate International priority states It can have online tracking, but the many packages I have sent never did.

Many people ask why does a $10 card need online tracking or why does my auctions need online tracking is because at least One seller who sent the auction winnings without tracking somehow never made it to the buyer and the buyer completed a paypal dispute and received their money back. At that point the seller is out not only the card, but all of the ebay and and shipping fees.

It only takes one buyer to steal, then everyone has to pay more money for protection.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:

No we didn't, I did say that the quote was obviously for very secure shipping or they didn't want the hastle of sending abroad

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:
quote:

That is all it is!

I am not condoning anyone stating shipping charges are $50 to send one card but,

This has been gone through many times, "Almost" no one who sells cards on ebay sends the cards first class international mail. It has been stated time and time again that paypals rules regarding shipping must have an online tracking number to qualify for the sellers protection policy. When an item sent from the US to the UK is to have online tracking their are only 2 methods...
International priority sent at the Parcel price of a minimum of $19.00 or International Express mail at a minimum of $34.00. It has been said Registered air mail has online tracking at a minimum of $12.00, but I personally have not been able to verify this. The Registered air mail I shipped was never updated online. Also the flat rate International priority states It can have online tracking, but the many packages I have sent never did.

Many people ask why does a $10 card need online tracking or why does my auctions need online tracking is because at least One seller who sent the auction winnings without tracking somehow never made it to the buyer and the buyer completed a paypal dispute and received their money back. At that point the seller is out not only the card, but all of the ebay and and shipping fees.

It only takes one buyer to steal, then everyone has to pay more money for protection.

Very well stated. I, personally, would not mind one bit charging $3 for s&h on a single card via First Class International...as long as the buyer pays by a means other than Paypal. Paypal is very secure for the buyer (many will say TOO SECURE as buyers can habitually defraud the sellers) and is very convenient but it is not worth the gamble. I try not to post many (if any) items that will sell for under $20-$30 on eBay as I do not have the time for it. That being said, I can not afford to take losses on items that I ship to customers who paid me.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:
"Almost" no one who sells cards on ebay sends the cards first class international mail.

This can't be correct. It is the odd exception that charges more than $4 to send a card from the USA to the UK and i never pay more than this to send from the UK to the USA.
I have never had anyone say they did not get what i sent and demand a refund and i have never not recieved what was sent to me.

I have just had a package arrive from America. It was about 30 cards in a small bubble envelope.
It was sent USPS and the cost was $2.70.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Wolfie on this.I regularly buy both sports and non sports singles and never pay more than $5 for a single card in shipping fees.

Most of the sellers I buy from charge $3-$4 for the first card and 50c-$1 for each additional card.

The cards come in a bubble envelope and the postage fee on the label is between $1.70 and $5 depending on weight.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post