Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Classic Hollywood: Creating A Themed Set.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Hollywood: Creating A Themed Set.
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Hi all,

Okay so I've been dwindling down my card set but now I'm building it up again with new sets/themes.

I want to begin collecting cards that feature the classic Hollywood era (I'd say 1920s-1960s) & then after that only cards that feature certain actors/actresses from 'the early days'.

I know there's a lot of 'general' Hollywood sets out there ie Donruss Americana, Topps American Pie, and more specific sets such as The Vintage/Classic Poster series from Breygent Marketing plus the Marilyn Monroe sets and no doubt more besides that I still don't know about.

A main problem with this is the chase cards from 1/1 'dream' cards to all the costume/swatches, autos/cut signatures not to mention variants.

There's also the complication of actor/musicians like Sinatra & Elvis (Esp. the latter!) who feature in many sets plus multiple sets of their own (I could spend a life time just collecting Elvis!) so there's more cards of some people than others.

Think I'd be best narrowing it down to particular stars?

How would you go about creating a themed set?

Or those of who you who have any type of themed set already have any ideas?

Thanks for reading all Big Grin

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There is a set called Hollywood walk of fame which has a base set of about 250 cards and no chase.

This is a great set for old film stars etc.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of watchers of watchers
posted Hide Post
Try this... take a movie from say the 50's pick a star and work forward and back connecting all others to that one person. I find it interesting all the time with my autographs I collect, say my recent Burt Lancaster who starred with Telly Savalas in a movie who was in a movie with Lee marvin and so on that way I can display them with themes! Just a thought!

Posts: 330 | Location: th,indiana,usa | Registered: June 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
There is a set called Hollywood walk of fame which has a base set of about 250 cards and no chase.

This is a great set for old film stars etc.

Thanks for that Wolfie - I'll go track it down. Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by watchers of watchers:
Try this... take a movie from say the 50's pick a star and work forward and back connecting all others to that one person. I find it interesting all the time with my autographs I collect, say my recent Burt Lancaster who starred with Telly Savalas in a movie who was in a movie with Lee marvin and so on that way I can display them with themes! Just a thought!

That's a really interesting way to go about it & lots of avenues to choose from - I'll give it a try, thanks Thumb Up

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Just putting some URL's on here for now of potential Hollywood sets to track down & check out.

If anyone has any information on these (basically if they're difficult to get hold of) feel free to post below.

Thanks. Big Grin

More Hollywood Characters

The Hollywood Dead - Really interested in this set (Yes, dark I know Angel)

Michael H. Prince's Hollywood Horrors - Interested to know more about this set.

Hollywood Slap Stickers

Hollywood Walk of Fame

Cheers.

Ps. Think any/all of the Donruss Americana series are (in part because the sets are huge/impossible to complete!) worth paying out for?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Think any/all of the Donruss Americana series are (in part because the sets are huge/impossible to complete!) worth paying out for?

If your speaking as a whole set, no, but there are certainly at least a few celebrity autograph cards in Americana that should interest any movie or TV fan. You could also look into Pop Century and Razor Signature Cuts.

These are hodge podge sets that have too many diverse and often marginal characters for my liking, but there are some hidden gems in there. The most cost effective way to handle these types of sets is to just pick up the single cards you want, otherwise you are likely to pack pull many people you don't like or don't even know. Wink

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The 2011 Topps American Pie release has an insert set called Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's 50 cards in all and has cards for stars like Grace Kelly and Gary Cooper.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post