Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do they do it?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
I occasionally sell my doubles on Ebay and the lowest shipping with tracking I can ship for is $2.64.

Granted I'm not their biggest seller so I imagine some volume sellers get a bigger discount on shipping but I've often wondered how so many sellers can post an item for sale as a BIN for $2.99 or less with free shipping. By the time Ebay and paypal take their cut, what is left for that seller? What is the incentive?

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They most likely ship in a plain white envelope with just a stamp and no tracking. I can see shipping that way for a small value card or two shipped to a friend, but I don't think I would risk it on eBay. I guess other sellers find the risk acceptable. If one transaction goes bad while hundreds more go good, it may be worth it to them.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Shipping costs and selling fees are really making it tough to sell anything that isn't high dollar.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I occasionally sell my doubles on Ebay and the lowest shipping with tracking I can ship for is $2.64

Think about us in the UK most eBay sellers start there shipping @ $15 and with the global shipping program that quickly works it way up to $25, that's for a $1 card

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
A lot of sellers have a dollar threshold where they send in a plain white envelope without tracking.
I believe it is $0.84 for non-machinable without tracking.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
What I'm reading is that it's hit or miss and those sellers just play the odds based upon sheer volume. I just thought maybe that these power sellers get a huge discount on shipping and that's how they can ship with tracking for a $3.00 card. I have a ton of common $1.00 to $3.00 promos but I can't list them with "free shipping" which is what, in my opinion, most buyers want unless I take the chance on getting a refund request-item not received notice from the buyer etc...

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post