Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What is this marvel set i missed out on?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this marvel set i missed out on?
 Login/Join

posted
I was outbid (those snipers)! on this Marvel set i havent seen before from 1977. I suppose i did have a minute to up my bid but am trying to restrain a little i suppose. I still think was a bit of a bargain though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261...l2557&orig_cvip=true

Anyone have any info on them? How they were distributed, if they go by another name on Jeffs site maybe? previous sale prices - value?

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
That's an UK gaming set, if I'm not mistaken. And if I'm right, that may also go by "Marvel Trumps." I believe that was a good price.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cool, that does seem to look like them. I found a South African release which looks the same also, and yes a pretty good price by the looks of it.

Thanks for the info!

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I have a couple sets of these in German...

Never knew what to make of them since I never took the time to decipher them.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the rating of the powers might not be viewed as all too accurate in the Marvel universe. Though i suppose its more about the game. Still, i dont think Hulk should be a 98 on physical strength and Hercules 99

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I also have the German set Ed. And the new Marvel Trumps I think are available in several languages.

I have X-Files cards in many languages too.

I've picked up a few words in other languages by learning key words to search for the cards.

Andy28,
I think there's a 77 release and a 78 release. How can you tell that there's a South African release? Is there something different about it?

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
My mistake. 1988 was the other release date.

posted Hide Post
After you mentioned trumps i did a google image search and found this link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-...orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Just put Top Trumps in the UK EBay site - over 6500 items there covering most subjects.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I was going to say that many items produced in England, are also sold in English speaking/UK connected countries. And that just because it's sold and bought in South Africa doesn't make it a variant.

That's usually the case, but not on that auction/item.

I took out my binder and took a close look. There's subtle differences with the cards. Nothing I personally go out of my way to buy. If I found it really cheap, sure I'd buy it, but I basically have the same thing with the original UK version.

The differences are the lay out of the text. Must be a little larger, because there's less words per line on the UK version. Also, the letter next to the number in the upper corner is upper case on the UK set.

Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. I had a flashback to the set of these I had. It was probably my first actual card set. I even devised a board game using the cards as fights at the Avengers Mansion, the Baxter Building etc. If only they hadn't been thrown away. Looks like it's a set I'm going to have to pick up again, I got the first Marvel sticker set I owned from 1973 again a couple of years ago Smile

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post