Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Man Wins 1957 Bazooka Gum Prize
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man Wins 1957 Bazooka Gum Prize
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted

Posts: 4003 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ha! I wonder if that was before they decided to expiration dates on card contests? Smokin'

Cool story.

Posts: 4853 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
It was before that. The guy said there was no expiration, and that is why he sent it in.

Pretty cool that Topps honored it. I've not had great luck with them myself, but this is a cool story.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's great. The guy at Topps could have easily just tossed the entry in the trash. He wouldn't let it go and the contest winner gets to smile with his brother one more time.

I think it was years after another Topps promotion actually expired that I took a chance and sent in for a Star Wars Galaxy promo (Bend-Ems offer). I did get the card. Someone there must have thought that was weird too but decided to play along because they still had some cards lying around. Thank you, Topps.

quote:

Posts: 4382 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was slightly confused by the story. The 1957 offer consisted of having to correctly guess the score of a baseball game on a particular day that year

The guy looked up the score on the internet 50 plus years later, wrote it on the entry form, and mailed it to Topps

But as part of the original offer, were you supposed to guess the score in advance of the game, what the score would be ? That is what confused me

Posts: 4003 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I was slightly confused by the story. The 1957 offer consisted of having to correctly guess the score of a baseball game on a particular day that year

The guy looked up the score on the internet 50 plus years later, wrote it on the entry form, and mailed it to Topps

But as part of the original offer, were you supposed to guess the score in advance of the game, what the score would be ? That is what confused me

No, nothing to be confused about. You are absolutely correct. I found a couple of them on Ebay where I could actually read the rules on the card.

This was a guess the score contest with a date that the entry needed to be mailed in by. You found out you were a winner when the games were over. So this is more of a cool little fluff piece than an old contest still in play.

I am sure that not everyone who decides to send theirs in now will get the same wonderful treatment. Cool

Posts: 4853 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post