Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
1998 Boris and Julie cards

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/6257084136

June 13, 2013, 10:06 PM
promoking
1998 Boris and Julie cards
I recently found this card. It is unsigned.Was the set released? Any info would be helpful
Thanks
http://i261.photobucket.com/al...ANDJULIE1998BACK.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/al...ORISANDJULIE1998.jpg

June 13, 2013, 11:52 PM
chesspieceface
That a nice looking card!

There is a signed by Julie version on Ebay along with an unsigned one like the one you've shown. In that auction, the seller mentions having written to Comic Images to inquire about the details of this item and Comic Images wrote back:

"Comic Images offered the 3-card strips through our distributors (Diamond Comics, etc..).
Print runs were limited to around 1000. These strips were not sold as sets - each strip was it's own item."

So it doesn't promote or come from a larger set, which make sense, Comic Images was pretty much through with Art card sets by 1998, at least in traditional boxes of packs form.

June 14, 2013, 12:20 AM
promoking
Thank you for the research. Very interesting. perhaps the unsigned version was given to the distributors to "promote" the sale of the actual signed cards. The fact that some were actually signed by the artists shows that those ones must have ben offered for sale. So this unsigned one is going in my promo card collection as a newly discovered promo card until I learn otherwise. Bouncey

June 15, 2013, 05:40 AM
cardaddict
I have one of each of those, one signed by Boris, one signed by Julie. They are in my Boris with Julie binder, although the wording on the cards is Boris AND Julie. I do not have an unsigned version. Thanks for the heads up about that one.
November 17, 2018, 01:03 AM
catskilleagle
Hi Promoking,

I missed this thread when it was new. You may be correct as Comic Images did give out unsigned autograph cards of other sets as samples to dealers. I still have an unsigned Michael Whelan autograph card for his second series with a cool werewolf on the front (found it in the promo box at a local comic store). Also, if the strip doesn't have the Omnichrome treatment, then it's more likely a promo. I just haven't been able to confirm it with anyone who knows for sure

I will complicate the situation a bit by telling you that I received this card signed by Boris as a freebie by a Comic Images representative at the San Diego Comic Con around 2000. I was a member of Comic Images Collector Club. Unlike Lime Rock's and Cornerstone's collector clubs which sent out promos with newletters/mailings, Comic Images gave stuff to members who presented their membership card at shows the company set up at. One year, the Comic Images guy even gave stuff out to members even after the club program was shut down. Nice gesture.

There was also a similar Julie Strain card and perhaps another.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Thank you for the research. Very interesting. perhaps the unsigned version was given to the distributors to "promote" the sale of the actual signed cards. The fact that some were actually signed by the artists shows that those ones must have ben offered for sale. So this unsigned one is going in my promo card collection as a newly discovered promo card until I learn otherwise. Bouncey