Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    The Last Blockbuster Cards.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last Blockbuster Cards.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
Watched this documentary tonight and went to the website of the last remaining Blockbuster Video store to see what they might have for sale and was surprised to see that they created a trading card set based on the documentary.

There isn't much info on the set -- based on the pack it looks like it is a 50 card set.

The sample cards show a number of celebrities who were featured in the documentary.

I checked Allender's site, searched Card Talk, and Googled, and didn't find a mention of these cards.

I'm not sure when these were released the documentary came outabout six months ago, but interestingly these are in a folder on the Bend Oregon Blockbuster site in a folder that seems to be dated June 2021, so these may be brand new.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Interesting as Blockbuster gets credit for pushing out the first gift cards to the masses which I have collected several of. They often had cool images of various films.

I saw that documentary recently as well. High nostalgia factor but from the practical side a dead concept. I do think that keeping one functioning BB open as more of a living piece of history is a cool idea.

I will pick up some packs of this although it seems like something they would be able to reprint as necessary.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm into oddball cards so I need at least a couple of packs of that. Maybe I'm just really tired and not seeing clearly but it looks like you're better off buying one pack at a time because it costs just over $6 with shipping for one pack, but if you buy two, the total is just over $14.

I think it's great that there's still one Blockbuster somewhere. I wish there was still a Tower Records and a Borders store.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I actually hate Blockbuster. In the UK they were responsible for putting all the small video stores out of business including the one in our village which i used to spend a lot of time in. Frown

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I probably will pick up some cards too -- shipping for one pack and a shirt was $6. Might go that route.

I definitely miss video stores. We'd go regularly until we moved about 4 years ago. There aren't any video stores where we live now.

While streaming is great in many ways we've actually started buying DVDs again.

When we first got Netflix it seemed like there was endless content. . . Then they stopped renewing shows we liked so nearly everything ended after 3 seasons. Lately it just doesn't seem like anything interesting is on there -- it seems like they keep trying to get us to watch the same stuff every time we log on, which we aren't interested in seeing. Now streaming services are censoring by removing episodes of shows and not offering certain films.

Somehow it isn't the same as walking through a store, it's not the same as owning physical media.

I could always go to a different video store to find a different layout, different staff, different movies. . . But it's always the same on Netflix -- or HBO Max, or HULU, or whatever.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
7 packs, enough to get you a set (with only 6 doubles, haha!) with shipping comes to $40.20.

Doesn't sound like a terrible price if you can manage a complete set, I am tempted to give it a shot.

I really want the Lloyd Kaufman card. That'd be great to get signed by him, he always signs for free at shows.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lloyd Kaufman's 2 minutes on the documentary were pretty epic.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's still a video store, "Captain Video," about 25 miles north of here. Even a pandemic couldn't take it down.

Yeah, Netflix is like Amazon. You buy the latest mystery novel in a longtime series and Amazon suggests one of the older ones. Yeah, well, I read that one 20 years ago when it was new and don't want to read the other "selections just for me" either. I like going to B&N looking to see if the new NSU has arrived and what's in new fiction and what's on the science shelves and what's in the bargain book section. It's tedious navigating to and through all that online. I've also scrolled through hundreds of Netflix listings without finding anything I want to see.

There's still a used DVD/record/bookstore in town. It also sells new stuff. I like going there too.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I probably will pick up some cards too -- shipping for one pack and a shirt was $6. Might go that route.

I definitely miss video stores. We'd go regularly until we moved about 4 years ago. There aren't any video stores where we live now.

While streaming is great in many ways we've actually started buying DVDs again.

When we first got Netflix it seemed like there was endless content. . . Then they stopped renewing shows we liked so nearly everything ended after 3 seasons. Lately it just doesn't seem like anything interesting is on there -- it seems like they keep trying to get us to watch the same stuff every time we log on, which we aren't interested in seeing. Now streaming services are censoring by removing episodes of shows and not offering certain films.

Somehow it isn't the same as walking through a store, it's not the same as owning physical media.

I could always go to a different video store to find a different layout, different staff, different movies. . . But it's always the same on Netflix -- or HBO Max, or HULU, or whatever.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I got the pack in the mail today: 8 cards in a clear plastic pack with a slip of paper as the header. The card numbers: 2, 6, 8 (shown above), 9, 13 (shown above), 34, 41 and 49. The backs are all identical with some text describing the documentary and listing the main cast.

I'll have to get another pack to see what I get.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I got the pack in the mail today: 8 cards in a clear plastic pack with a slip of paper as the header. The card numbers: 2, 6, 8 (shown above), 9, 13 (shown above), 34, 41 and 49. The backs are all identical with some text describing the documentary and listing the main cast.

Awesome! Were the cards good quality? Any indication of a manufacturer?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are good quality with regular card stock (regular gloss fronts; matte backs) and good resolution. No manufacturer is listed so I assume a local/regional printer. it just says "Pop Motion Pictures," a movie production company, on the backs.

The pack was sent loose in a mailing envelope but arrived in nice shape. I think some packs might get damaged that way.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Awesome! Were the cards good quality? Any indication of a manufacturer?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone completed this set?

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Need one card to finish the set. I also saw a set for sale at the Philly show last month.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Netflix has just put out a limited comedy series based on the last remaining Blockbuster store.

Since its a comedy, I would imagine its some sort of fictionalized version of the staff at the last Blockbuster. Trip down Memory Lane, but pretty ironic considering that it was Netflix that really drove the nail in their coffin.

They got too big and started competing for their own customers, with no other business plan when habits changed. In its prime there were at least 6 Blockbuster stores within my immediate area. I still have a few DVDs that I picked up in the close out sales as they all shut down.

Just another part of the past that was fun while it lasted. Searching for movies at Blockbuster was a ritual for a lot of families back then. The place was packed some nights. Now you watch Netflix on the phone and nobody has to talk to anybody. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post