Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Fantastic Four Archives Sketch Card Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fantastic Four Archives Sketch Card Question
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted
A couple of months ago I bought a box of Fantastic Four Archives. At first I wasn't overly interested in the sketch card I got, but after looking at the Rittenhouse site and seeing how many sketches this guy actually did (49) I was a bit more interested in it Smile
Although it's still up for trade.

I've had quite a few emails about it, mostly asking what I'd want for it. I have no idea, it depends on what it's worth, roughly, even. Searching on eBay, even Google, I can't find any that have been up for sale previously. Well, there is one place but you need to pay to see that price it sold for (or just closed at) on eBay last year. No thanks.
One guy did offer a Martineck sketch in trade so I thought maybe it could be in the same range as him, but I'd rather not just take the first offer that comes along. I'd like to try and find more info about what it could be worth from several sources before I trade it.

Here's the sketch card, by Joe Sinnott.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't really know where else to ask, or look.

Thanks Smile

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
put it on ebay,its the only way to find out its real worth??its value is in what someone will pay for it.if two people really want it and are prepared to 'fight over it' you could be on to a winner?? Smileif you held a gun to my head and said quote a price a would say $150-$200!!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, Joe Sinnott is a famous comic book inker for Marvel comics. If you take a look at his website, you can see some of his work on the Fantastic Four and other titles:

http://www.joesinnott.com/marv...g/fantasticfour.html

Basically, you have a sketch card by an original comic book artist which should be highly collectable. Though don't ask me to put a price on it, I only have some of the orignal comics he contributed to Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I wish there was a price guide out there that could help you out to give you some reference Confused

I'd go out on a limb and say $100 plus would be a good starting point because of the artist and limited availability. Anything over $200 would be if a real die-hard collector really wanted to add it to their collection. So getting anything in the middle would pretty good if you'd be willing to pay that much for the card that you'd be receiving.

Great pull! Good luck!

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Its a nice sketch of a main character done by a known artist who did a limited number of pieces. All those things are positives, but there is no way to come up with a price range that isn't a pure guess. Put a minimum on it and see what kind of bids you get.

There are many sketches on eBay now and the better ones have 3 figure BINs, but I keep seeing the same ones up for sale. They are not moving well in the higher ranges as far as I can tell. No big surprise, money is tighter and supply is high. Its very much a **** shoot, the buyers are still out there, but they are more selective.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you held a gun to my head and said quote a price a would say $150-$200!!

LOL! Thats a nice way of putting it Mark, but I would I would agree and say anywhere between $100-$200

Woodstock Generation
UD Prominent Cuts
Classic Vintage Scifi/Horror

Posts: 12 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
As a collectible its only value is what someone is willing to pay for it. It is not worth $10.00 to me as I don't go sketch card hunting and don't follow the artist. It seems to have a pedigree (Known comic book inker) so it is probably worth more than $10.00 to someone. Put it on eBay with a ridiculously high reserve and see how high it goes!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i would happily pay $150 for it if i went a fair and a dealer was selling it.its a very nice item!!i hope he does will with it.

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
@markdennet: I'm a she. I'm also not a dealer. Does that make me less trustworthy in your opinion?

quote:
Originally posted by EriktheArchitect:
Put it on eBay with a ridiculously high reserve and see how high it goes!

I had started to do that, actually. I got as far as about to submit it, but the US site has some irritating block where they noticed I primarily sell on the AU site, so they wanted to lock down all my accounts, thoroughly investigate them all (I wouldn't be allowed to use any at all, just like if I was NARU) then after I don't know how long, I'd may be able to list as normal.
I used to always sell on the US site. So that's just really stupid and unneccessary. With my FB and how long I've been there doesn't that count for anything?
I can't list reserve auctions on the AU site which is mainly what I wanted to use that for.
So that's mostly why I was wondering about a value if I had no choice but to put it on the AU site.

@Raven: Yes, some of my regular searches keep bringing up the same sketches all the time, usually the same prices, too, by the same sellers. The ones on my watchlist can be there for months.

Seeing as the US site is being an **** I might have to just stick it on the AU site. Maybe even UK. Haven't tried that one yet.

Thanks for all your opinions, suggestions and comments. I mostly just collect sketches for the pretty pictures, and one or two favourite artists Smile

Thanks!

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
ebay has become such a pain to try and sell anything. I rarely list anything anymore. don't buy much either! I think they have the Big Bank attitude. Too big to fail!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Star*Mystyk:
A couple of months ago I bought a box of Fantastic Four Archives. At first I wasn't overly interested in the sketch card I got, but after looking at the Rittenhouse site and seeing how many sketches this guy actually did (49) I was a bit more interested in it Smile
Although it's still up for trade.

I've had quite a few emails about it, mostly asking what I'd want for it. I have no idea, it depends on what it's worth, roughly, even. Searching on eBay, even Google, I can't find any that have been up for sale previously. Well, there is one place but you need to pay to see that price it sold for (or just closed at) on eBay last year. No thanks.
One guy did offer a Martineck sketch in trade so I thought maybe it could be in the same range as him, but I'd rather not just take the first offer that comes along. I'd like to try and find more info about what it could be worth from several sources before I trade it.

Here's the sketch card, by Joe Sinnott.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't really know where else to ask, or look.

Thanks Smile

What was the Martineck that was offered to you?

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EriktheArchitect:
ebay has become such a pain to try and sell anything. I rarely list anything anymore. don't buy much either! I think they have the Big Bank attitude. Too big to fail!

How is it a pain to sell on Ebay? Is it that you don't like the fees? As it's certainly not hard to list a card on there.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markdennett:
i would happily pay $150 for it if i went a fair and a dealer was selling it.its a very nice item!!i hope he does will with it.

'Fair' as in 'collectors fair'??and i still hope you do will with it!!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haljordanfan:

Why?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Star*Mystyk:
quote:
Originally posted by Haljordanfan:

Why?

ummm.... To see if it's in the same $ value range as your card. Why else would I have asked? Different Martinecks have different values. Marvel 70th Martinecks are much more valueable than others. I was just looking out for you and what you might have passed on.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
It was X-Men Archives Colossus. Looks like the card has been removed from wherever it was hosted so I can't link to an image.

I tried listing via the UK site this morning and I get the same notice about using multiple sites and/or multiple ID's to list. So what if I have 4 (1 buying, 1 selling, 1 posting, 1 gathering dust)? I did have a few others but closed them.
So, looks like it'll have to be the other site. That has no hidden reserves and is a little slow to catch up to the rest of the world with features Frown