Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Buffy Season 1

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/6207096296

February 24, 2020, 04:34 AM
mykdude
Buffy Season 1
Does anyone remember the autograph insert rate for the first season of Inkworks Buffy?

Allender page states 2 per case but Cardboard Connection does not show anything.

Just trying to verify for documentation purposes in my data base.

Thanks.

February 24, 2020, 08:53 AM
cardaddict
My faulty memory says two per case is right. My dealer at the time opened a couple of cases and had four autographs under the glass of his display case, all for about $40 each. I thought that was too high and passed on all of them. THAT, I do remember!
February 24, 2020, 09:25 AM
wolfie
I've just watched a ton of buffy stuff sell on ebay for peanuts or not at all. So what is the real value of these cards? Not much if that is anything to go by.

February 24, 2020, 10:57 AM
cardaddict
Yes, the value has dropped dramatically. But we all buy these cards because we love them, right?
February 24, 2020, 11:52 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I've just watched a ton of buffy stuff sell on ebay for peanuts or not at all. So what is the real value of these cards? Not much if that is anything to go by.

Really, for Season 1 and Season 2's big names?

I haven't looked at these in quite awhile, but Season 1 only had the four signers and Season 2 had five signers. These cards are still pretty limited. Whedon and Boreanaz are tough to find and still in demand. So is Hannigan, but she took a hit when she came out signing so much for RA's Buffy.

For Season 2, Head, Carpenter and Ritter are still tough and in demand. The other commons and autographs in subsequent seasons have dropped off their highs years ago. Its just a matter of demand easing as titles grow stale and new stuff comes out that gets more attention. This is the reality of non-sport card value longevity. The best cards will hold their value, very few will see any sustained upward arcs and the vast majority will settle at or near commons.

One of my best memories in card collecting concerns the Charisma Carpenter A5 and I've mentioned it before. A card store, long gone now, opened a couple of boxes and the guy put the Carpenter auto out. I asked how much and he wanted $30. I said, "but she only signed her first name, I don't know". He said $20 and I took it. To this day I remember that as my best ever card bargain. Big Grin
February 24, 2020, 01:46 PM
barobehere
We are talking about almost 2 decades ago but I remember there being 2 to 3 a case. I think the print odds were along the lines of 1 every 5 boxes.
February 24, 2020, 05:59 PM
mykdude
Thanks!

Just picked up a Whedon for $75 and I believe that is my only sig from Season 1.

Needed some basic insert info on the set for when I create a DB record on it. I knew they weren't doing an autograph per box at that time but wasn't sure what the ratio was.

February 24, 2020, 10:31 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Just picked up a Whedon for $75 and I believe that is my only sig from Season 1.

That one is still booking $120 - $250 and I see none up on eBay. Don't know why it went that low, but congratulations. Smile
February 24, 2020, 10:46 PM
catskilleagle
The website below confirms Allender at 2 per case:

https://www.dacardworld.com/en...1-hobby-box-inkworks

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Does anyone remember the autograph insert rate for the first season of Inkworks Buffy?

Allender page states 2 per case but Cardboard Connection does not show anything.

Just trying to verify for documentation purposes in my data base.

Thanks.

February 25, 2020, 12:01 AM
catskilleagle
I don't think Wolfie was talking about autographs - just the cards in general. I know a lot of the promos, even the early ones and the SDCC and Wizard World exclusives that peaked years ago at maybe $8-10, go cheap now as in a buck or two. Part of it is that they had big print runs, and when Inkworks closed down, more appeared on the market around the time the economy went down. The other part of it is that there hasn't been any kind of a new show in twenty years. New Star Trek movies and shows with new cards help sell old Star Trek cards.

The good news is it's a great time to buy many of the cards you didn't get back then. A few are hard to find like the Season 5 embossed B5-2 promo which was only issued in NSU's 2001 SDCC convention variant issue. I haven't seen one of those sell in years but would guess it could be a $50-60 card (or more?). Last year, two Buffy Evolution BE-CL case cards sold for over $60 each. I think it's the Season 4 BRC-1 card that sells surprisingly cheaply at around $2.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Really, for Season 1 and Season 2's big names?

I haven't looked at these in quite awhile, but Season 1 only had the four signers and Season 2 had five signers. These cards are still pretty limited. Whedon and Boreanaz are tough to find and still in demand. So is Hannigan, but she took a hit when she came out signing so much for RA's Buffy.

For Season 2, Head, Carpenter and Ritter are still tough and in demand. The other commons and autographs in subsequent seasons have dropped off their highs years ago. Its just a matter of demand easing as titles grow stale and new stuff comes out that gets more attention. This is the reality of non-sport card value longevity. The best cards will hold their value, very few will see any sustained upward arcs and the vast majority will settle at or near commons.

One of my best memories in card collecting concerns the Charisma Carpenter A5 and I've mentioned it before. A card store, long gone now, opened a couple of boxes and the guy put the Carpenter auto out. I asked how much and he wanted $30. I said, "but she only signed her first name, I don't know". He said $20 and I took it. To this day I remember that as my best ever card bargain. Big Grin

February 25, 2020, 12:44 AM
Raven
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I don't think Wolfie was talking about autographs.

Jess

Oh, I thought he was, but no matter. Most of the Buffy mid-range and common autographs have dropped well off prior highs and even the big ones from Season 1 and Season 2 have not increased from their stagnant values and probably won't.

The sets, base cards and even inserts did have large print runs, so I'm sure that stuff is going begging. Let's face it, iconic or not, collectors who wanted it already have it and new demand is minimal, if even that.

Look at some other once popular titles like Lost and Xena and Supernatural and Dexter and you see the same thing. Even on the non-sport card forums, you can go all year and not hear those sets mentioned by anyone. Sure some people are still filling in their holes, but with so little demand, they can name their own prices for all but maybe a handful of the best hits.
February 25, 2020, 12:34 PM
wolfie
Yes sorry should have been more clear. I did not mean the super rare autographs i meant all the other cards, base , chase and even the binders all selling for sell than $10 each.

February 25, 2020, 11:13 PM
Logan
quote:
Yes sorry should have been more clear. I did not mean the super rare autographs i meant all the other cards, base , chase and even the binders all selling for sell than $10 each.

I've been following the Season 1, 2 & 3 high-end autographs on eBay for years now and their value has dropped quite a bit also. They're still worth a decent amount of money, but not what they once were.