Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Topps Xmen Rebecca Romjin Silver autograph
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps Xmen Rebecca Romjin Silver autograph
 Login/Join

posted
I have had this card for quite some time now and was going to sell it to pay for some Jame Bond cards. I did some investigating on Feebay and could not find a one with Silver ink. After reading the black ink was a dealer incentive card. Is the silver ink variation from somewhere else?? thanks in advance

Posts: 98 | Location: Livonia, MI 48154 | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The one that I have is in black ink. I can't recall seeing one signed in silver ink, but I'm not saying it's not possible, just that I don't know for sure.

In general silver ink can be a problem and collectors should be aware of that. Although some collectors like to use silver because they think it stands out more on dark photos, silver and gold paint pens can be used by forgers to better cover over signature trace strokes.

Silver signatures are often widely seen in pre-printed autographs and auto stamps. Pre-printed signatures are actually in the photo itself and there is no surface paint. To check that out, put the photo or card under a really bright light. As the shining light makes parts of the photo disappear, the real ink signature should still stand out. If the signature also disappears with the photo under the light, you know that it really is just a copied autograph rather than signed.

Auto pens or stamps appear to be signed, but they are always the same signature. One is hard to pick out, but comparing them to each other is easy since no hand signed signature is a perfect match.

Again, someone else may be able to confirm whether or not there were silver variant signatures on this card.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ill scan this and post it tomorrow morning

Posts: 98 | Location: Livonia, MI 48154 | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I'd be very interested to see this silver variant. I have only ever seen her cards signed in black ink.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi X.... Well lo and behold, I took the card out of the screw down and it ends up it was once black but faded to where it looked silver.. My camera on my new cellphone is not co-operating so i couldnt get a picture off... But it is black!!! Thanks all for your input...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
eshegg, I would never leave cards in a screw down for a long period of time. I don't know if that contributed to the degrading of the signature, but I don't like them because of the pressure on the card. Better to secure in PVC free pocket pages or top loaders.

Can't say how any average buyer would feel about that card, maybe the silver tint looks nice, but an experienced autograph collector will want to either discount for the fading or will look elsewhere.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post