Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spider-Man
 Login/Join

Picture of MARKPERRY2000
posted
With the new movie coming out, does anyone have any idea if Upper Deck will make a card set? I mean he is now in the MCU and Upper Deck has been on point in producing a set for the movies thus far, ie. Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, etc.

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Full sets were not made for any of the reboots, sequels, re-imaginings or whatever else you want to call those last couple of Spiderman movies.

Considering what UD did produce for Ant-Man and Dr. Strange, my personal reaction is who cares if they do Spiderman cards or not? The licenses have been wasted.

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
It has taken me 4 years to get round to it but I have just recently seen 'The Amazing Spider-Man'. I thought the original trilogy with Maguire was pretty weak, but this Garfield version was totally surplus to requirements. Not surprised RA only released factory sets for that one.

As for 'Spider-Man Homecoming', I imagine only the die-hard Spidey fans (and kids) will care. I'd rather see a card set that not but whatever UD puts out will likely not be collector friendly.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a Spider-Man set coming out, but I don't think it'd tied into the new film.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
It has taken me 4 years to get round to it but I have just recently seen 'The Amazing Spider-Man'. I thought the original trilogy with Maguire was pretty weak, but this Garfield version was totally surplus to requirements. Not surprised RA only released factory sets for that one.

Well, good news for you. If you liked that one, there's a sequel to watch, what was to be presumably the middle of a trilogy. Unfortunately, that second installment didn't perform well, so that was the end of the line for that go-round, although that box office underperformance did pave the way for Spidey to be added to the "Avengers" movie universe, hence his appearance in "Captain America Civil War".
Emma Stone was fantastic as Gwen Stacy in those, especially in the sequel, and hopefully she'll be back as another Marvel (or DC) character down the road.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
TASM 2 was even worse than the first one. Clearly he didn't like the first one, so he's going to want to stay clear of the second one lol

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Differing opinions make the world go 'round. Personally, I hated the Maguire Spider-Man movies, with the exception of the second one which was pretty solid, and enjoyed the first one with Garfield. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a train wreck. They completely screwed up the Electro character and were trying to do too much by cramming in the Goblin/Death of Gwen Stacy storyline along with the Electro plot resulting in a mess (the same trap Batman v. Superman fell into).

As for cards, UD has a terrible business model that is frustrating for many and nearly impossible for the casual collector so if they do produce cards for this movie, good luck with that.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
Differing opinions make the world go 'round. Personally, I hated the Maguire Spider-Man movies, with the exception of the second one which was pretty solid, and enjoyed the first one with Garfield.

I am with you entirely. The 2nd Maguire Spidey remains among the top 5 superhero movies yet made while the first Garfield one was at least as good as the first Maguire one, if not better. Maguire 3 and Garfield 2 both left a lot to be desired.

quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
TASM 2 was even worse than the first one. Clearly he didn't like the first one, so he's going to want to stay clear of the second one lol

I took his saying the first Garfield Spidey was "totally surplus to the requirements" as BritSpeak for "it was good". But then, I was using my somewhat suspect Americanese translator. I suppose that phrase might (moight?) mean something entirely different is AusTalk.

Eh, wherever you are, Happy New Year!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
Differing opinions make the world go 'round. Personally, I hated the Maguire Spider-Man movies, with the exception of the second one which was pretty solid, and enjoyed the first one with Garfield.

I am with you entirely. The 2nd Maguire Spidey remains among the top 5 superhero movies yet made while the first Garfield one was at least as good as the first Maguire one, if not better. Maguire 3 and Garfield 2 both left a lot to be desired.

quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:

I took his saying the first Garfield Spidey was "totally surplus to the requirements" as BritSpeak for "it was good". But then, I was using my somewhat suspect Americanese translator. I suppose that phrase might (moight?) mean something entirely different is AusTalk.

Eh, wherever you are, Happy New Year!

"Surplus to requirements" as in Maguire's first outing was pretty crappy, so to reboot it so soon with a just as crappy, if not crappier (and repetitive) origin film was totally unnecessary.

I'm not a Toby Maguire fan at all, in fact I'm more likely to avoid anything if he's in it, so I thought what with the recasting, Garfield might be pretty good, or at least better than Maguire in the role. But he was stunningly bad. Hayden Christensen in the Star Wars prequels bad, if not worse. No wonder I've not seen him in anything else. Couple a weak lead with some appallingly bad CG for such a modern film and I just couldn't get into it, although there are other numerous faults.

I'll give the second one a chance to see what all the fuss was about when it got its critical malling but am expecting to be underwhelmed. All this makes me pretty "meh" towards Spider-Man 3.0.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great phrase. I'd never heard it before, but I now I've got it. Won't use it, though, it'd be surplus to my requirements. Big Grin

Garfield's supposed to be pretty good in a new Mel Gibson movie called "Hacksaw Ridge". There's been some Oscar talk for him for that. He was good in "The Social Network", too, which I think is how he got the Spider-Man role, somehow.

As for Maguire, he's been pretty good in several things, including Gatsby, Cider House Rules, Pleasantville, and Brothers, probably his finest work.

My own ratings for the Spidey movies so far, out of 10:
Maguire 1: 7
Maguire 2: 10
Maguire 3: 5
Garfield 1: 7
Garfield 2: 5
Holland in "Civil War": 8
Holland in "Homecoming": We'll see, but it's my understanding they're wisely skipping the origin story this time around. I think everyone knows it by now...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't count Civil War as being any indication as to what Holland brings to Spider-Man. Or even if there is any need for another Spider-Man movie at all.

We are now in the multi-universe worlds and whether it's DC or Marvel, we are getting bunches of super heroes thrown against the wall, knowing that some of them will stick with somebody. As long as it guarantees enough box office in the first 2 weeks to cover production costs, its a hit with a sequel coming.

I don't think the studios want to trust a film to one character any more and, since they have the license to use every superhero in that particular catalog, why should they? When the Wonder Woman film arrives, do you suppose all we will see is Wonder Woman? I doubt it. The fact that some of these films result in a mess that satisfies no one is besides the point because mass audiences still see the films and pay their money regardless.

But getting back to trading cards, I think a card manufacturer has to decide what kind of a product they are going to be able to put out before they attempt it. In the current environment, and with the prices for hobby boxes what they are, you must have the star autographs. If you can't get a contract with all or most of the stars, or you can't get more than a handful of autographs from the ones you do acquire, there is no hook to sell cases to big dealers.

The problem with these multi-universe Avengers type films is not that they lack stars, it's that manufacturers can't get those stars to sign for your product. Not only that, sketch cards are running into loads of licensing issues that no one seems to know about until after they are done and submitted for approval. They all of a sudden significant numbers get rejected and there is not enough to seed into the product. That leaves maybe relics, and I'm sorry but two costume cards are not enough to carry a high end box, even it they are multi black swatches. Wink

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post