Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    2001 Army National Guard Cards -- TWO complete sets + binder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001 Army National Guard Cards -- TWO complete sets + binder
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
I've had a rare complete set of them for some years now, but I made the eBay purchase of a lifetime buying one of the *super* rare binders w/ a whole set of the cards! I'm new here, so this may be off-topic in this forum, but could any ANG card collectors assist me in pricing a complete set w/ the binder? The binder has seen better days -- it has a cover crease top to bottom -- but is still in good condition all things considered, and I'm just psyched to have one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P.Mata,

Posts: 5 | Location: Central NM | Registered: March 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I was personally involved with the staff in the ARNG that produced the cards and binders. I interviewed the person in charge of the project and even wrote an article in NSU about it. He was kind enough to offer samples to give out at the Philly show. He told me due the the cost factor in making the binders, only 30 test binders were produced and distributed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beamer,

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
The cards were originally issued in packs to Boy Scouts at Jamborees, Air shows and balloon festivals. As for value, They are only worth as much as some one is willing to pay. I wouldn't sell my binder for less than $200 without the cards. There are also extremely rare test cards that we produced. There were 15 different test cards and 15 matching test holofoils made. Only 5 sets of each were produced. There are 3 different releases of these cards, 1st series, 2nd series and a 3rd series that was a combination of both the 1st & 2nd series. You can tell the difference by the logos on the cards.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Beamer. I've read about the test cards and respective holofoils, but of course have never come upon them for sale.
I remember attending my uncle's Yellow Ribbon Ceremony years ago where child relatives of deployed servicemen were given out complete sets of these shrink wrapped. Since discovering their completion rarity, I've been on the lookout since. About 3 years ago I missed another eBay binder opportunity by a mere 3 days, and finally got lucky this time. Like I said, this one isn't in great condition: I suspect it was "cared" for by a child. But I'm content with it.

Posts: 5 | Location: Central NM | Registered: March 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Michael, where did a 10 card strip come from. Cards are numbered 1 of 10 thru 10 of 10. Has a sticker that states it's a Exclusive promo.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great answer, Beamer! Ask and you shall receive (sometimes, anyway).

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Hey John,
The 10 card promo strip was a door prize that was given away at the Philly show the same year I wrote the article in NSU in 2002 called "Guard those Cards!" The Army National Guard was kind enough to give these out along with one lucky winner who won the ARNG grand door prize of 5 numbered un-cut sheets of all of the first series ARNG cards including the Holofoil cards. (you know who you are!) Only 10 strips were produced.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beamer,

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
The ARNG was also kind enough to give away this 9-card uncut sheet promo at the Philly Show. As you can see by the gold seal, only 7 were produced.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
This is the back of the 9-card uncut promo sheet.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Mine a little different, it's numbered 2 of 2 on the sticker.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi, John. To which uncut promo sheet are you referring?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
The 10 card Strip.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh! I see. Nice.
I haven't read much on anyone owning the test prototype blank back set of the Holographic cards, damn.
The second series may not be very collectible, but I'm curious about the Footlocker Kit.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I forgot all about the Philly strip numbered out of 2.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hello there Beamer and friends,

Hate to revive an old thread but,
I've recently come across a box of these 2001 Army National Guard trading cards with approximately 20+ unopened card packets (each packet has at least 8) and I wasn't sure what to do with it

Posts: 2 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: October 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I guess it all depends on your collecting habits. I collect Military and Disney related cards. So something like that would be a keeper. The National Guard only gave out single packs. Finding a box (if it is decent shape) is a rarity. There were 2 versions of the boxes. A square 36 pack box and a long 100 pack box. I have both sealed. I would guess if you don't want them, you could put them up for auction on eBay.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Beamer, I only collect sports card so I wasn't looking to hold on to these. I appreciate the prompt response, I will go ahead and put them up on e-bay

Posts: 2 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: October 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Waoo! I'm surprise with this set. It was a great idea for promotion.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Please let me know when. I would like to add them to my collection.