Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Where do you buy your non sports cards?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you buy your non sports cards?
 Login/Join

posted
So I've been collecting on and off and I've decided to start up again. I've noticed that not too many stores carry trading cards let alone non-sports ones. The few comic stores around me don't carry them and I don't see any at Target, Walmart or Toys'r'Us.
So besides online I was wondering where else might you find packs or boxes of cards? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Which part of the US do you live in? Maybe one of the members can help you find a specific card store that sells non-sports. If you live near San Diego, I can point you to one that I have pretty good luck with, and I am sure other can do the same with their hometowns. Besides that, you might just end up getting the same responses (Target, Walmart, comic stores, etc)

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in New York Queens, close to the city but that doesn't mean anything. Besides the largest comic store, Midtown comics which carries only a little bit. No one else seems to carry non-sports cards.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
alex mvp does mostly sports .. maybe call em up and ask about nonsports

comic stores tend to have a bit by the counters too - jim hanley's universe, forbidden planet

Posts: 78 | Location: cave on an island, usa | Registered: May 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by riddler_149:
Which part of the US do you live in? Maybe one of the members can help you find a specific card store that sells non-sports. If you live near San Diego, I can point you to one that I have pretty good luck with, and I am sure other can do the same with their hometowns. Besides that, you might just end up getting the same responses (Target, Walmart, comic stores, etc)

I got an email from another board member asking where this shop was and I accidentally deleted it without responding where it was! If that person could email me again, I'll try not to be stupid and delete the email before responding again!

In a side note/question: can I just say where the place is on the board or does that violate some sort of rule about advertising on the board even though I am in no way affiliated with the store?

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Alex's MVP mostly sells baseball cards and comics. I've been there, its a nice little shop but they don't deal with non-sports cards.
Jim Hanley has nothing.
Last time I checked Forbidden Planet they only had one non sports product.

So yeah, I'm going to have to buy my stuff off the internet.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Alex,
I know you said you are from Queens, and I understand it may be a little drive for you, but have you considered going to the Philly Show ?
It is in Allentown, PA. The does get a lot of visitors from the NY area, and it is a great show, with a wide variety of products- vintage and new.
I try to go once a year and I love it. I do drive in from Chicago, it is a hike, but it is really nice to see everyone each time I go.
Their show is coming up quickly in 2 1/2 weeks.
It is a fun time, and the collectors as well as dealers are a good bunch of people.
Hope you can make it, if you, please stop by the table and say hello.
Best of everything!
Paul

Posts: 955 | Location: HICKORY HILLS IL | Registered: April 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAULM:
Hi Alex,
I know you said you are from Queens, and I understand it may be a little drive for you, but have you considered going to the Philly Show ?
It is in Allentown, PA. The does get a lot of visitors from the NY area, and it is a great show, with a wide variety of products- vintage and new.
I try to go once a year and I love it. I do drive in from Chicago, it is a hike, but it is really nice to see everyone each time I go.
Their show is coming up quickly in 2 1/2 weeks.
It is a fun time, and the collectors as well as dealers are a good bunch of people.
Hope you can make it, if you, please stop by the table and say hello.
Best of everything!
Paul

Unfortunately with Comicon coming around the corner I doubt I would go. Maybe next time though, thanks.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
the swap meet.

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlexC:
Thanks guys. Alex's MVP mostly sells baseball cards and comics. I've been there, its a nice little shop but they don't deal with non-sports cards.
Jim Hanley has nothing.
Last time I checked Forbidden Planet they only had one non sports product.

So yeah, I'm going to have to buy my stuff off the internet.

Giving away some of my personal shopping grounds but here they are:

Saint Mark's Comics and Chameleon Comics both in Manhattan sell trading cards.

Forbidden Planet gets lots of non-sports stuff in but sometimes they order stuff just for me Smile

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
I'm not sure how up-to-date the information might be but Rittenhouse Archives has a list of their Dealers & Distributors on their web site.

Thanks, that link showed me a lot of stores. Thanks for the help guys.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
I'm not sure how up-to-date the information might be but Rittenhouse Archives has a list of their Dealers & Distributors on their web site.

Most of the names I recognize on that list are actually online dealers that have stores on you know what. Big Grin

Very few hobby stores buy directly from card manufacturers anymore because they don't place big card orders, especially not on non-sport products. They buy from Diamond or get a few boxes from third party distributors, but that's only if they have regular customers bugging them for it. Even the big names of Star Trek and Bond are hard to find if you're just walking in.

Hate to say it, because I don't like to buy this way myself, but it seems to me that the only way to get boxes or premium packs from some of these short printed titles is by pre-ordering from on-line dealers. Frown

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jimmymatthew
posted Hide Post
I live in the Minneapolis, MN area. Is anyone aware of non-sport card businesses in the area?

The few comic/collectible places I've vistited only have limited ccg cards and a couple of boxes of comic related non-sport stuff.

We used to have Shinders which was great, but they went under a few years ago.

Thanks all

Posts: 38 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post