Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    would you get rid of your collection to get a morgage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

would you get rid of your collection to get a morgage
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted
i was wondering if you would you get rid of your collection to get a morgage, as me and my partner are thinking of getting a morgage but didnt know if we would sacrefice our collection to put toward the morgage.

if you was in my shoes what would you do?.

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Depends how much I needed and how much the collection could be sold for. If I had to sell and couldn't get a decent price for my collection I wouldn't sell. Just stop buying! Haven't you just ordered a case of Lost 3?

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dalekfan
posted Hide Post
Depends on your own financial circumstances, but my own opinion is that the financial market will not accrue as well as the value of your collection over the next few years, so hang onto the Collection.

I would certainly never sell in that situation.

Posts: 449 | Location: West Yorkshire | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've considered this myself, selling off my collection to put some money toward a house. What it comes down to, really, is asking yourself if afterwards you'll regret it. Two years down the road, are you going to say, "Well, I have my house, but man I miss my cards!" If that is the case, you're better off just to stop buying for a while and really focus on saving. It may take a bit longer in the long run, but when you do have your house, there'll be less regret (and you'll have something fun to fill it with!). If you think you can sell your collection and not end up regretting it...well, go for it. With your collection, you could probably get a pretty fair amount toward a mortgage.

Just my two cents. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ariana,

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I would sell my entire collection in a heartbeat if it came to a choice between my collection and housing.

But then again, I have children to support as well.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
I also would sell the collection. To me a home for me and my family means a lot more then my card collection or any other collection for that matter.

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Sell the ones you can do without first. That will make the job easier. Try to keep a few so you can & imagine them in your new home & where you'll store them. At the end of the day a house is FAR FAR MORE IMPORTANT so if it comes to it you may want to sell the lot but, as hammer says, don't undersell it. When you've settled in to your new home & it's furnished as you want it, then think about re-building your collection. This is such a fast-changing hobby with the next newest bestest thing just over the horizon that there'll always be something you can pick up on later. Let's face it, when you're solvent again there's always e-bay.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Cards can always be re-acquired at a later date when things are more financially stable. I'd also choose comforts of living (house, food, car, etc.) over the cards Smile Heck - I just paid my son's tuition at school with some of the money I made from selling off some of my collection at the Allentown show. So I'd even pick school over cards *lol*

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I agree, cards can be re-acquired...

You can keep certain "Hard to find" cards if you like.

But, a house is a better investment all around.

I enjoy collecting cards, it is fun and makes me feel young again.

But I am married, own a home, two cars and have to pay taxes and bills, like everyone else. So I can't be foolish with my money.

I did sell some of my cards and only started collecting certain cards.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of QBall
posted Hide Post
I doubt my cards would make much of a dent on a mortgage given the current house prices in my area (£100k+ for a 2 bedroom terraced!!!) but if it were possible, I'd be prepared to sell chunks of the collection if it meant being able to put a decent amount towards a deposit on a house.

Posts: 365 | Location: Up North, England | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sold off enough cards to pay for a trip to Hawaii for me and my wife .I'd definitely sell off my collection for something else i want . I can always start another collection and tailor it to what i'm interested in , got too much stuff that i don't even look at anymore .If you've got cards you haven't looked at in a year then sell them off and put it into a house .
You could say your cards paid for the roof.
sumo

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
I think I'd rather get rid of the mortgage I have and everything else attached to owning a house. Hopefully break even with all I owe and find something more suited to a single income. I just can't afford it any more Frown

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
If I had to and if I thought my collection would bring in any money, I'd sell it off.

Maybe keep a few key cards and stop buying cards.

I'm going through this now and I really don't know what to do. It's not for a mortgage.. more like a 'storage' and 'change of tastes' situation.

Whatever you decide to do, Colin... think it out and go over all your options. Best of luck to ya Smile

Posts: 1458 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
thank you for all your imput into this.

i dont want to say the wrong thing here as i deen told of twice spank my hand for making it sound like i am trying to sell them of on here.

i havent decided what i am doing now but i know that the future releases i will not be buying cases no more or base sets or anything like that, all i am going to do is buy the autograph cards that i want. i am going to be come a autograph collector of only the autographs that i am intrested in.

and yes i need to sit donw look at my collection and work out if the collection is worth more than what i paid for and if it would make anything that i would like for my morgage. but i am not really going to do much about it till after christmas anyway as this i s very busy and expensive period anyway. even if i got all my presents sorted there is still the food and drink and petrol going to all the familys. so i will just keep the cards till next year and totally sit down and think about it them.

as well i am hoping to addopt a baby as well in a few afew years so thats going to be very expencive as well and this is also why i want to get a house as i am living in a 1 bed flat.

but thank you for all your imput and everything cheers colin xxxx

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
hey colin.
as christmas is coming up, i think it might benefit you to sell some of your cards. a lot of people are looking for cheaper things nearer christmas time, so maybe selling some stuff now might help...

just a thought Smile

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Id rather have a roof over my head than have a card collection.

Financial security over a nice card collection wins out any day.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
I'd easily get rid of the cards for the sake of a house and family. To me they're only an investment now anyway, since autographs in particular don't really ever go out of fashion. It's just an investment that you can happen to enjoy at the same time Smile

If you do sell but decide to keep onto some of them, I'd personally not keep the harder-to-find ones, since no doubt those are the ones more likely to get more money when sold. I'd decide on what amount of money you want and then sell off as few cards as you can that will still acheive that value.

Eg, if you needed £100 for whatever reason, don't sell off ten £10 cards, but just one £100 card. makes much more sense and you still get to keep a larger chunk of your collection.

And I agree with Chris, the November, December and early January weeks are definitely the best time to do something like sell off your collection; more people are likely to be looking for them as gifts for others round about now.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
Im currently thinking of selling most of my collection due to me being way overdrawn even with a steady wage.

But as with my comics, which i have been meaning to sell for years, i wouldnt want them selling below value.

And with most cards being on ebay its a hard decision.

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
if i was to sell thenit wouldnt be now as christmas time i always think is a bad time as the cards would go cheaper than they would throughtout the year also at christmas time inkworks and artbox and everyoine else like to bring here best sets out as well which would meen that people would rather be after them than the other cards which would also drive the price down.

and as if i did sell i would want the best price for them to go on the morgage. cheers colin.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of rubadub001
posted Hide Post
If you are emotionally attached to your cards - just keep them and find another way to raise some cash. Unless you have the mother of all collections - how much could you really raise, even getting the best price for them (when I say best price, I mean best ebay completed auction price)?

Would a couple thousand GBP really make so big a difference, when comparing it to permanent regret?

If it came down to where I didn't really have a choice (i.e. Shelter or cards), I would sell my cards in a heartbeat.

Check out my Trade List Apr 16.09: http://nonsportupdate.infopop....&r=37010938#37010938

Posts: 654 | Location: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post