Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    would you get rid of your collection to get a morgage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

would you get rid of your collection to get a morgage
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks Colin Smile I'll let you know when the cards arrive.

18 days? Not long. Hope everything works out smoothly for you guys and I sincerely wish you nothing but happiness in your new home.

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kingraider32
posted Hide Post
If, I could get dollar for dollar back on all my card purchases, I would do it in a second. I guess it's buyer remorse.

Good luck on your venture.

Posts: 295 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I could get back dollar for dollar on my card purchases... yikes.

Today on e-bay I found a card I needed in a lot and it finished a hockey card set I had been working on. Total cost approx $2500.00 The downside is someone else has the whole set listed at $66 buy it now. Ouch!

Strangely, I've also been thinking about what a good downpayment my collection would be. I couldn't do it though... Luckily the state of the US economy eliminates most of the temptation. I can remember buying cards for $100.00 on e-bay, and by the time the Canadian to US dollars were adjusted it was about $160.00 and then postage on top. Today even if the card fetched the same $100 on e-bay, it would work out to about $95 Canadian. About half of what I'd paid, fees and such considered.

Although, if anyone can beat paying $2500 to build a card set that goes unsold at $66, I could certainly use the cheer up after writing that! Do I hold the record for worst card deal on the board? What if we made sport vs non-sport categories? lol

--Chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I remember the Yoda P3 promo selling on Ebay and elsewhere for many thousands of dollars years ago. Today you would be doing well to get $300 for it.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I have sold a collection to buy a flat and to buy a new bathroom.

They were not non-sport trading cards but they were important to me just not the most important thing in my life.

I still have my Star Wars toy collection, comic book collection and my current passion for non-sport cards.

I don't think that many non-sport cards I own would recoup what I spent on them, the hobby is the joy for me just now and has no basis on future value.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im at the point now that i wont sell anything anymore. I used to collect things other than cards and sold alot of them just to get some money. probably made only 10 cents on the dollar for what i first paid for em. Eek Still hurts thinking about what i sold and what i had (never should have sold them). So anyways here i am and i promised myself i would always only buy what i would never ever sell again (i know id never make any moeny on em).

Posts: 116 | Location: USA | Registered: January 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Well said Firebird Smile

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
yes i would william

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Honestly before I sold any cards that I have now, be it the non-sport that I buy or the sports cards that I used to buy, I would rather tear them up than get that fraction of the cost I paid for them. I'm not angry about it, I enjoy my collection, but no question very few of those cards are worth anywhere near what I spent on them. Frown

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Honestly before I sold any cards that I have now, be it the non-sport that I buy or the sports cards that I used to buy, I would rather tear them up than get that fraction of the cost I paid for them. I'm not angry about it, I enjoy my collection, but no question very few of those cards are worth anywhere near what I spent on them. Frown

I think I feel the same way as Raven, I'd rather destroy them Eek Shake Head, or better yet just keep them rather then give them away. (in other words, if I can't have them no one can Big Grin)

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blashphemy! Dude seriously, you need to go and amend your will right now and leave all of those bad boys to me! The temptation to destroy our collections so others can't have them is another reason we need a Non-Sports Card Hall of Fame. *(How would I start one and trademark that title?)

... Although, the image of someone loading my body onto a traditional viking long boat filled with trading cards, slowly pushing it out onto a lake, and then launching flaming arrows at me and my babies is admittedly, pretty cool...

________
*Feel free to script your own conversation between mourners on shore and flaming archers here

_______

Chris
(Note: Babies referred to trading cards and not actual babies. Please no hate mail)

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by collector of things:
Blashphemy! Dude seriously, you need to go and amend your will right now and leave all of those bad boys to me! The temptation to destroy our collections so others can't have them is another reason we need a Non-Sports Card Hall of Fame. *(How would I start one and trademark that title?)

... Although, the image of someone loading my body onto a traditional viking long boat filled with trading cards, slowly pushing it out onto a lake, and then launching flaming arrows at me and my babies is admittedly, pretty cool...
Chris(/QUOTE]

Ha, he who dies with the most toys wins. Wink

But seriously, no one is destroying their cards, its selling cards that was the question. And if a sale is going to fetch only a small fraction of what you spent, which is unfortunately very likely right now, you might just as well keep your cards. Smile

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john the hat:
yes i would william

Sorry a bit dense here! I don't understand what you are answering yes to.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
Yes to the first question :-)

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post