Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identi-Card Thread
 Login/Join

Picture of dmc913
posted Hide Post
oops; dupe post

Posts: 251 | Location: WV | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of glen87
posted Hide Post
ace - still no luck finding it. when i run across it, will let you know

Posts: 642 | Location: VT | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
How many chase cards in the Kaluta series 2 chase set?
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
5 Metallic cards (1:12 packs) and 1 Autograph (randomly inserted, reported 1000 total base cards signed).

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
allender,
Thanks, I thought there were more.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about two weird cards sets I found recently.

The first one is a set of 25 cards that came in a blank wax paper card fitting sleeve. They are blank on the back and feature magic tricks on the front. The front has a pinkish background, a picture of a Raja at the top center and a purple fancy border around the card. In the center is a image of a magic trick and below that is a description of that trick. The copyright at the lower rights is: L.M.B. Co.

The second card set is probably easier. The company is B.G., C.C.I and the name on the back is Magic Pictures. The front features 6 images that look like those Vari-Vue flicker rings or cards you got in Cracker Jack. Not sure how many are in a set but the backs list each image as one "card" (even though six are on each actual card) and the highest number I have is up to 192. It also mentions on the back you are to use a Magic-Lens to view the images.

Many thanks for any info

Posts: 16 | Location: New Brunswick, NJ | Registered: July 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The second one was quicker, anyway. There's several auctions up for unopened packs on eBay.

Bowman Gum, 1950s, approximately 1954. There's a B&W photo of one of the 6-image cards on p. 331 of Chris Benjamin's "The Sport Americana Price Guide to the Non-Sports Cards 1930-1960".

The 6-image cards were sold in 5-cent gum packs. 1-cent packs had cards with 2 images, gum, and the plastic lens.

"The set total of 240 refers to the number of different pictures, which means that 120 small cards and 40 large cards were issued (each design in the tandem has its own number)."

Card cataloging reference number is R701-8.

For the first one, the copyright says it's one of many series of "prize package cards" produced by L. M. Becker & Co. of Brillion (later Appleton) Wisconsin, in the catalog category R780, from the late 1950s to the late 1960s only in the U.S. midwest. The Benjamin books mention several different sets but not exactly this one.

Doing a search on "Becker" and "R780", I found this discussion of a different 25-card set with the same type of markings:

http://www.network54.com/Forum...ed+on+IDing+this+set

The Vintage Non-Sports Cards Chat Board is a relatively new place where you'll find a huge focus on Pre-1970 non-sports cards. There's a link to it on the main NSU home page.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks allender! You da man!

I do not have the Benjamin book (I have the later one). Is the set officially called Magic Pictures?

So the first set came inside bags of candy. Hopefully this is a springboard for me to fins out some more info on it.

Posts: 16 | Location: New Brunswick, NJ | Registered: July 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sometimes there's just bits and pieces of information in different places, which is why I was so impressed to see that vintage-cards chat board. At times I have 'researched' stuff using the pages of The Wrapper as my only real source.

Yes, Magic Pictures is the official name. There are a couple of wrappers and a graded pack in eBay stores, but I needed the Benjamin-book pictures to prove to me it was the same thing!

It's a thin line for when cards were an incentive to get you to buy candy or gum, or when the gum or candy became an extra for a handful of cards. Today, near-mint wrappers are more valuable than the contents. Some of the Becker sets were in a "bag" that looks a lot like a theatre popcorn bag, only smaller, and were obviously meant to be an impulse buy at a retail checkout line. They had markings like "Four Surprises in Every Bag - toys-games and a sweet treat" or "4 Prizes and Bubble Gum or Candy".

posted Hide Post
I have the wrapper for the Becker set but its blank. Just a form fitting wax wrapper that opens at the top.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post

Anyone know who the character is? I'm stumped!

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:

Anyone know who the character is? I'm stumped!

Thanks in advance!

I dont know, but you can always e-mail him at locoduck@locoduck.com to find out Smile

Edit : I just emailed him to ask.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dooman,

Posts: 27 | Location: Canada | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Btw, the character is 'Ecstacy' from Cloak and Dagger

Posts: 27 | Location: Canada | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi All:

Kevin LePore asked me to post this note and image as he is unsure how to post pictures here. Kevin says:

I recently found some western themed cards @ a vintage toy show their plain cardboard backs, I had never seen these before so I picked them up pretty reasonably

I have no idea what these are from, I'm thinking they were cut out cards from cereal, back in the 40s, 50s, 60s??? They are 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 inches.

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with these & if anyone knows what their from? How many different cards there might be?

I'd love to find out some info on these...the artwork really caught my eye

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Harris ,

Thanks for posting the pictures for me
I'm hoping someones familiar with these and might know what their from

Kevin

Posts: 1176 | Location: Rochester , NY , USA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Can someone tell me the artist and who the sketch is of?

Thanks for any help

Posts: 8 | Location: GA | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apex_Ninja
posted Hide Post
Artist: Daniel Campos
Character: Hepzibah (I think Smile)

Posts: 133 | Location: NL | Registered: August 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
Does anybody knows this autograph.
I will try to add the sketchcard also, but it's the first time I use Imageshack.

SKETCHCARD:

[URL= ] [/URL]

AUTOGRAPH:
[URL= ] [/URL]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Peter cloet,

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's Jamie Campbell. (And BTW, 5Finity.com should have samples for all of the sketch artists. That's where I just confirmed.)

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
thank you very much

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post