Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E Bay Street Pricer
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
While perusing the Blowout Forum this morning I came across this called E Bay Street Pricing.
Apparently E Bay are testing this system out with selected sellers.
They are advising them wether their items are being sold for too low or too high pricing,and advising them on the price to sell at this sounds like sell at catalogue value to me because between too high and too low is an average price wich seems that they are telling their customers what to sell an item for.
To me this seems like a grab for more fees .
Or is E Bay going retail?
Any one heard about this ,any thoughts.

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I haven't heard of this before, but a lot of the changes to eBay lately make it seem like it wants to convert to more of a mass merchant retail platform than a unique collectibles platform.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Really isn’t much of an auction site anymore, most are BIN with offers accepted, not often you see any low starting bids on anything anymore. Would like to see an alternative site at some point.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I don't think this will take hold in collectibles much.

In my seller's tools there is already a place for items they think are priced too high. And their suggestions are laughable.

This probably works well with car parts and items that sell hundreds of items a day. But there is no way they can suggest a price on an item that has not been sold in the last 60 days once. At least not accurately.

I got the email be glossed over it as just another fee grab that does nothing for collectibles.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

In my seller's tools there is already a place for items they think are priced too high. And their suggestions are laughable.

This probably works well with car parts and items that sell hundreds of items a day. But there is no way they can suggest a price on an item that has not been sold in the last 60 days once. At least not accurately.

I got the email be glossed over it as just another fee grab that does nothing for collectibles.

Ed

You can't put a price on the priceless, right? Big Grin

I agree with you Ed, but the danger is that some sellers may see those laughable suggestions and start to offer them. Once the ball gets rolling others have to pick it up to stay competitive because buyers always expect to get in on the lowest prices and then those things are supposed to miraculously increase in value because they now own them.

eBay has no business trying to average out prices for any collectible once it ages out of the manufacturers new out of the box price. With individual trading cards you don't even have that much because new product is SRP on the box/case, not each card. It's all secondary market supply and demand for single cards after that and I don't see anything good coming from eBay projections trying to advise the "right" price.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
"eBay has no business trying to average out prices for any collectible once it ages out of the manufacturers new out of the box price. With individual trading cards you don't even have that much because new product is SRP on the box/case, not each card. It's all secondary market supply and demand for single cards after that and I don't see anything good coming from eBay projections trying to advise the "right" price."

Well said Raven, I couldn't agree more.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I agree with you Ed, but the danger is that some sellers may see those laughable suggestions and start to offer them. Once the ball gets rolling others have to pick it up to stay competitive because buyers always expect to get in on the lowest prices and then those things are supposed to miraculously increase in value because they now own them.

You're assuming eBay will suggest lower prices.

eBay makes money when things sell for more. Allowing eBay to price things might end up with increases.

I'll do my own pricing, thanks anyway eBay.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

In my seller's tools there is already a place for items they think are priced too high. And their suggestions are laughable. /QUOTE]

Then I misunderstood your comment Ed. You seemed to be saying in your post above that eBay's laughable suggestions had to do with items they thought were priced too high.

Of course they might suggest to increase or decrease prices. They would get higher fees if the prices were increased. However they may think that items won't sell at all for the posted prices, so by suggesting lower ones, they get fees from more sales. It could be beneficial for eBay either way.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
E Bay should be using their Street Pricing on Shipping costs.
That would be a better thing to do rather than the product.

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post