Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Inkworks Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inkworks Buffy the Vampire Slayer
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

I like chocolate milk.

Is that real milk or fake milk? Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
I collect autographed cards because I like them, not to sell them off if their price goes up. I am with Raven on this one.

And I like beer. Real beer not that fake 1% ****. And because SMG didn't sign I sold off my entire Buffy card collection. So yeah, I think it would be nice if an actress did sign some cards for people who watch their show for seven years. And no, I know she is not obligated to do so but it shows some loyalty back to those who are loyal to the show. Thats the reason she had a job after al...

I only wanted her card as Buffy not because she is SMG. It is the show I liked and not the actress. And yes Ringer was terrible...

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
That's why I like Nathan Fillion, he has a better understanding of giving something back to those who watch his show (Firefly, Serenity, Castle)

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of estephano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MvG:
I only wanted her card as Buffy not because she is SMG. It is the show I liked and not the actress. And yes Ringer was terrible...

That's why I like Nathan Fillion, he has a better understanding of giving something back to those who watch his show (Firefly, Serenity, Castle)

LOL Big Grin
So basicly what you're saying is that you just like the actors because they've signed for a set and not because of their acting which doesn't make you look like a fan at all, but a common card collector who likes to have a set completed.

Posts: 101 | Location: Stuttgart (Germany) | Registered: January 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like apple cider.

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Starchild
posted Hide Post
Often times, my likes and dislikes of celebrities are directly related to how that celeb treats their fans. Their likeability as people draws me to more of their projects. I would tend to follow the career of someone such as Nathan Fillion because he is known to be both affable and genuine. Therefore, I will go out of my way, as is possible anyway, to support his projects, whatever they be.

Does this mean that I will never watch an SMG show again because she didn't sign? No, it does not. However, considering the fact that she is also known to be not very fan-friendly, this would tend to make people think that the two are related, making it seem that she does not appreciate her fans. True or not, she does not go out of her way to change the public perspective, either nor is she required to, but she should think of this when she wants support for her latest project. Her name can only go so far.

Besides, when a main actor signs for a card set (which only helps to promote their show), that tells me that they are proud of their show and stand behind it - endorse it, if you will.

I have met a few celebs. And although I may still consider one such a good actor that I can't help but watch his/her film even though he/she is a real jerk, it makes me feel good and excited to get behind a show/movie which stars an actor who treated me well or showed his/her appreciation.

Posts: 603 | Location: CT | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

I like chocolate milk.

Is that real milk or fake milk? Big Grin

The question is...what is real milk?
Straight from the cow? No, it is too hot and the chocolate flavoring is artificial. Oh...my...God!! I am drinking FAKE MILK!!!!!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dex1186
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by estephano:
quote:
Originally posted by Dex1186:
I just want to add to the people saying they rather wait and find the celeb to get there autograph. Can I just say that thats great if your living in L.A or New York. I am from Alberta Canada where celebs come once a blue moon. The last bach at our comic expo was Lavar Burton and Julie Benz. So 99% if i like the celeb ill hunt for there signed autograph card if they have one. I rather this then a 8x10 random photo.

I understand where you're coming from, but even in Alberta you're lucky enough that quite a few of features are being filmed.
"Freezer" starring Dylan McDermott and Peter Facinelli recently wrapped in Edmonton. And in the past you had "The Bourne Legacy", "Inception", "Brokeback Mountain", "Resurrecting the Champ", "Open Range", "R.V." and "The Grey", "The Young and Prodigious Spivet", "Drawing Home" being filmed in Alberta. Plus AMC's hit show "Hell on Wheels" will also soon return to Alberta to shoot their third season. So it's not exatcly right that celebs come to Alberta once a blue moon, you just need to know about their filming schedules. Wink

Yes those have filmed in Alberta, but Alberta is big most of those were filmed further South In Calgary and past the more of the mountains Area. Can't just drop everything for a four to 10 hour plus drive for a chance of getting something signed. And Half those movies are like 4 yrs apart so every four years I should plan to make a trip cross Alberta to maybe get something signed. An to be honest I don't even know what half of those Shows/Movie are you mentioned. An the celebrities I like have never come to Edmonton. So as why I like to buy there trading cards. Wink Also I don't want restraining orders on me lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dex1186,

Posts: 73 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of estephano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Starchild:
Often times, my likes and dislikes of celebrities are directly related to how that celeb treats their fans. Their likeability as people draws me to more of their projects. I would tend to follow the career of someone such as Nathan Fillion because he is known to be both affable and genuine. Therefore, I will go out of my way, as is possible anyway, to support his projects, whatever they be.

Does this mean that I will never watch an SMG show again because she didn't sign? No, it does not. However, considering the fact that she is also known to be not very fan-friendly, this would tend to make people think that the two are related, making it seem that she does not appreciate her fans. True or not, she does not go out of her way to change the public perspective, either nor is she required to, but she should think of this when she wants support for her latest project. Her name can only go so far.

Besides, when a main actor signs for a card set (which only helps to promote their show), that tells me that they are proud of their show and stand behind it - endorse it, if you will.

I have met a few celebs. And although I may still consider one such a good actor that I can't help but watch his/her film even though he/she is a real jerk, it makes me feel good and excited to get behind a show/movie which stars an actor who treated me well or showed his/her appreciation.

I agree with your view, Starchild, but in the case of SMG I think she's hopeless. Like I've said before, even IP she has never been the friendly nature kids and teenagers always saw in here. And she's been using Tamkin's SFM service to send out PP's since her STTW era. That makes it more than clear that she isn't into the fanmail/autograph thing at all.

However, I totally devide between how a celeb treats you as a fan or collector and how he's doing his work, which is acting/singing/etc. Afterall it's the celeb's work you are a fan of, not his pesonality. Take John Malkovich for example: he's always been a brilliant actor of complex parts, but as a person he is very challenging to put it diplomatically. Do I mind? Hell, no, it's his business and I respect that he's not into this fandom thing at all, but rather sits down in a café and reads a book. I don't judge him on his pesonality, but on his job which he's damn good at.

Posts: 101 | Location: Stuttgart (Germany) | Registered: January 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Stars signing for card sets isn't always a case of appreciating their fans or showing a commitment to their show, for some it's just an easy extra paycheck.

As for the main topic, actors owe us nothing more than their work in their various roles. Our reward for being fans is the enjoyment derived from the projects they take part in. If they go above and beyond that and do things like sign for sets, that's cool, but they certainly don't have to and I don't hold it against anyone if that's how they roll.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly SMG never did any behind-the-scenes interviews for the BTVS DVDs. The only thing I remember SMG doing was a one-off for Sky TV. Because of her absence from that kind of thing I wasn't surprised that she didn't sign cards. Disappointing, but that's how it is sometimes. It's all the personal choice of the actor and/or advice from agent etc.

Maggie Smith and Miranda Richardson are known to shun publicity and rarely go to premieres, but both signed cards for Harry Potter...the former for many sets too.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post