Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never Signed Yet
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
An interesting topic... My list of signatures on cards/promos would be,
Larry David
JB Smoove
Barbera Eden
Donnie Yen
Jackie Chan
Denzel Washington
Bruce Willis
Mel Brookes

Happy to hear if there's already signature cards from these celebs, all good. My two cents worth Wavey

Jackie Chan signed for Americana.
Donnie Yen has several Star Wars autographs.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Thanks Webjon, I didn't realise Donnie Yen was part of Star Wars, oh well Cool Bananas

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Sorry Cardaddict, I've amended the recent post... Thumb Up

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he was in "Rogue One." That movie was better than any in the last trilogy though it was a thrill to see the Millennium Falcon early in "The Force Awakens."

quote:
Thanks Webjon, I didn't realise Donnie Yen was part of Star Wars, oh well Cool Bananas

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A similar question is, and Bill touched on it, "What celebrity hasn't been on a card at all?" Some celebrities don't get into movies or TV shows that come out in card form but they still got on a card because of "Hollywood Walk of Fame" or some odd promotion. Americana, Pop Century, and similar sets have widened the possibilities.

Some now-obscure musicians and music groups made it into sets like the Warner Bros. Baseball Card set (1979), Rockcards (1991) SuperStars MusiCards (1991, 1992) or "Yo! MTV Raps" (1991). It's hard to say who isn't on a card because of several lesser-known music card sets of the 60's, 70's, and 80's from different parts of the world.

Writers have appeared on cardboard through sets like "Booksmith" (1993-2008) and "Famous Comic Book Creators" (1992, 1993) and other artists have portraits and even self-portraits in various sets.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I was just thinking about the certified autograph cards that I would like to add to my collection, if I had unlimited funds of course Big Grin , and realized that there were a lot out there. Between the ultra limited products, the sticker signatures, the large variety of TV and movie titles and even the mixed bags of an AG or Pop Century, even the biggest actors seem to have been included on some autograph checklist, at some time, even if minimally.

So my next question was, who hasn't been? What in-demand star has yet to appear on any certified autograph card? And I am counting cuts as official cards, so Sean Connery doesn't work anymore and Diana Rigg did get backdoored into the Avengers. I would also have to disqualify any deceased celebrities having passed away a few years ago, simply because they may not have had sufficient opportunity to be asked to sign.

Only two really big genre omissions come to mind to me. As far as I know, I have never heard of Jamie Lee Curtis having a certified autograph card. While Scarlett Johansson has stayed away from Marvel cards and everything else I think. To a lesser degree, Robbie Coltrane was a natural for Bond or Potter and would sign for neither one.

Care to add to the list of celebrity names that have a significant card hobby following, but are still without a licensed certified autograph card of any kind?

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
A similar question is, and Bill touched on it, "What celebrity hasn't been on a card at all?"
[/QUOTE]

They may have sneaked in some place, but three big names not with any type of card might be Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson and Leonardo DiCaprio. I would also say Brad Pitt, but I know Americana had a relic card on him without any picture. I'm not sure if the lack of any photo would count as a non-card. Wink

They also had the same type of relic cards without photos for people like Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks, although they have no autographs that I can remember. Its a lot harder to find someone's certified autograph cards than just some base card or mention of a certain celebrity.

Oh it was Pop Century 2010 that had all those faceless relic cards of many actors that were never on any other cards and Jack Nicolson was one of them too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
A similar question is, and Bill touched on it, "What celebrity hasn't been on a card at all?"

They may have sneaked in some place, but three big names not with any type of card might be Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson and Leonardo DiCaprio. I would also say Brad Pitt, but I know Americana had a relic card on him without any picture. I'm not sure if the lack of any photo would count as a non-card. Wink

They also had the same type of relic cards without photos for people like Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks, although they have no autographs that I can remember. Its a lot harder to find someone's certified autograph cards than just some base card or mention of a certain celebrity.

Oh it was Pop Century 2010 that had all those faceless relic cards of many actors that were never on any other cards and Jack Nicolson was one of them too.[/QUOTE]

If we are just talking about any type of card Warren Beatty was in Dick Tracy which had a card set, Jack Nicholson was in the 1989 Batman which had a card set. Can't think of a set that Dicaprio was in.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
quote:
quote:

Oh it was Pop Century 2010 that had all those faceless relic cards of many actors that were never on any other cards and Jack Nicolson was one of them too.

If we are just talking about any type of card Warren Beatty was in Dick Tracy which had a card set, Jack Nicholson was in the 1989 Batman which had a card set. Can't think of a set that Dicaprio was in.

DiCaprio is in the Titanic steamer trunk set that Inkworks put out.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jack Nichsolson is also in the Mars Attacks movie promo set that Barclays released. There are also artist renditions of him in the Hollywood Moviemen set (Victoria Gallery, 1993 - a promo and a base card) and a promo postcard for LeRoy Neiman art prints.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, once you start counting base cards and promos and old stale titles, lots of these stars who have no certified autograph cards show up on a non-sport card.

Lots of deceased stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood turned up on relic cards in Americana products, where as Pop Century went more for current names.

Don't know how I forgot about Leo in Inkworks' Titanic trunk set, I've got two of them. When is someone going to decide that they are all DiCaprio rookie cards and should cost 10 times as much? They've been laying around for more than 20 years and are still below cost. Big Grin

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Talking about the Mary Tyler Moore show in another thread reminded me that I don't think I have ever seen a certified autograph card of Betty White, which is surprising considering that it would seem a natural for Americana or Pop Century. Anybody know of any? All I see is a custom cut slapped together by a fan.

Oh yeah, and a couple of really ugly Leaf 2011 cuts. Not sure I'd count them, the fan did a better job. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Teasers are out now for the 2021 Pop Century (yay!) Metal (ugh!) set and like usual, they've convinced some stickers out of at least a few people who hadn't signed for cards previously which I think include Chuck Norris, Elisabeth Shue, James Caan, Jane Fonda, Kiefer Sutherland, Kim Basinger, and Ray Liotta, plus rappers Nelly, Tekashi 6ix9ine, & Fetty Wap along with food personality Guy Fieri.

Popular returning signers include Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, Sylvester Stallone, Ben Affleck, Emilia Clarke, Harrison Ford, and John Travolta.

Looking forward to seeing the full checklist for who else might have been added to the world of certified, pack-pulled autograph cards.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I would really love the Jane Fonda autograph card.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Chuck Norris signs his name directly into the air he strides purposefully along the dusty trail. Leaf representatives follow (at a safe distance) in his wake, frantically waving stickers, so as to capture as many of the autographs as possible.
Most escaped.
One became a tattoo.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
quote:
An interesting topic... My list of signatures on cards/promos would be,
Larry David
JB Smoove
Barbera Eden
Donnie Yen
Jackie Chan
Denzel Washington
Bruce Willis
Mel Brookes

Happy to hear if there's already signature cards from these celebs, all good. My two cents worth Wavey

Denzel Washington actually has an official autograph card by Upper Deck. Only found out about this a month ago.

i4AAOSwfkhhZ7Fm" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/37375...d:gBig Grini4AAOSwfkhhZ7Fm

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bone:
Denzel Washington actually has an official autograph card by Upper Deck. Only found out about this a month ago.

i4AAOSwfkhhZ7Fm" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/37375...d:gBig Grini4AAOSwfkhhZ7Fm

Never saw that one either, but there have been some very limited autographed cards in certain hodge-podge sets over the years.

A word of warning about those signed letter cards though. I have a James Caan autograph card from 2009's Donruss Americana. It was a Hollywood Icons numbered to #45 and he signed this one on the letter "L". The autograph has bled right into the fabric of the "L" and is now barely visible out of the bluish inkblot its becoming.

The only reason I picked it up was because it was offered to me cheap and its still a limited card. The autograph was not good enough to sell at the time and it has gotten worse.

So that Washington still doesn't look bad, but you can see on the scan where the ink is spreading out and bleeding off at the edges. That's not going to get any better, it may well get worse. Card makers having signers autograph right on top of any fabric that can absorb is a bad idea in the long term.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Has Liam Cunningham ever signed for GOT? I don’t think so.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No, he has the longest running GoT character without signing for RA, or anywhere else for that matter. I don't know what his issue with it may be.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, he has the longest running GoT character without signing for RA, or anywhere else for that matter. I don't know what his issue with it may be.

Some actors simply don’t get why someone would want their signature and won’t sign autographs period. Frances McDormand comes to mind, but he’s hardly well-known except for the UK, and then he may not be well-known there either. Chloe Sevigny is like that too, so I was really surprised that she signed for AHS.

Me, for some reason I have a fascination with signatures, which I why I collect. Unfortunately for me the only people who want my autograph are people to whom I owe money.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post