Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Need Info on "RUDOLPH RED-NOSED REINDEER" sketches!!! Please :)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Info on "RUDOLPH RED-NOSED REINDEER" sketches!!! Please :)
 Login/Join

posted
how many sketches were produced?
how many artists? and how many sketches did each artist do?

Non-sport update magazine mentions 20 sketches for a complete set. 20 characters????

Does anyone have a list of all the characters?
Which were the rarest sketches?

Anyone have pictures/scans of personal sketches?

Thanks
Cheers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PaNdeM0niuM,

Posts: 260 | Location: Downunder | Registered: June 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Only 400 total sketch cards were produced. There was one sketch inserted in a team bag along with the six card foil set from the original movie and a 9 card foil set from the Island of Misfit toys movie. The second movie was a flop, so the card set was never produced.
Below is the listing I send to Bill Defranzo for the NSU price guide several years ago.
There are also 2 test boxes of the cards and inside each test box there are 2 test packs.
One is in my collection, the other is probably still with Dino Frasella, who was the President of Dart Flipcards.

There are approximately 19 different sketch cards not including the Rudolph variation. (one he is standing and one he is sitting.) Of all the total cards drawn which is less than 400, 2 of the cards have a total production of less than 15. Of the rest, the numbers are about the same. The 2 rarest sketch cards are:
The Bumble and Yukon Cornelius

The list below describes all 19 sketch cards as well as a VERY RARE hand drawn and colored card done by Darren Auck ( the Marvel artist who was at the March 2003 show) Only 4 of these hand numbered cards exist, along with the other sketches. There is actually a blank sketch card too. Now here's a catch to the cards. Some of them were also hand colored by the artists. Some are just pencil or ink. The colored cards get a premium of about 10%-20%
Yukon Cornelius - $125.00
Bumble - $150.00
Rudolph's mom - $85.00
King Moon Racer - $80.00
Jelly Pistol - $85.00
Rudolph - $80.00 (sitting or standing)
Cowboy - $60.00
Clarice - $75.00
Plane - $65.00
Tall Elf - $75.00
Train - $65.00
Doll - $75.00
Mrs. Claus - $85.00
Santa - $100.00
Charlie in the Box - $75.00
Spotted Elephant - $75.00
Hermie - $100.00
Donner - $80.00
Ostrich - $65.00
Blank Card - $50.00
RARE group sketch card - $1,000.00 Only 4 produced.

I will take a picture of the box later today and post it for you, although I had it shrink wrapped for protection so i can't show the inside and the packs. I will also scan one of the 4 Darren Auck sketches, which I also have in my collection.

Here are some of my sketch cards:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beamer,

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you are a LEGEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank-you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much !!!
Greatly appreciate it.

Cheers to you!

Posts: 260 | Location: Downunder | Registered: June 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
No problem. This is what this hobby is all about. Sharing our collections with others.
I will get the other pics posted here around noon, NY time.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Here are pics of the box and the Darren Auck sketch, numbered 2 of 4.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:

HOLY **** !!!

that sketch looks AMAZING !!!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are the sketches from these sets really worth that much? There's a bunch on "that site" for pretty cheap right now.

Seems like a cool deal, I may have to snag one. Smile

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I am sure that they won't go for the kind of money that I listed above or is represented in NSU. As we all know, a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I only posted the prices to show the correlation to NSU. It would be nice if they were worth that much, but who knows, someday anything is possible. Being there are only 400 total sketches, it could help push the price up in the future when the new collectors join us and decide to buy cards that they can personally relate to.

PS: Sorry for the oversized pics, I didn't know how to shrink them. I am still learning how to use the Photobucket site.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
When I first saw this thread - I thought - Beamer can answer all these questions. You sure came through, Beamer, very nice little collection you have there.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Hi Don, Hope all is well. Thanks for the nice comments. During the 30 + years I have been collecting non-sports cards, I have focused in on the obscure stuff and that is what keeps me interested. You never know what you might find during the journey. I always look forward to finding new and "odd" stuff to add to my collection. Plus, as you know, I love to answer the questions. That's my favorite part.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have a few posted in my sketch gallery on my blog as well, including 3 Color Auck sketches.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I forgot about the six-card consignment cards. 2 of the 3 cards you show were consigned by a private collector to do for their personal "collection" The 6 cards had nothing to do with the issuance of the set, whereas the 4 card set was done by Darren as a bonus for the corporate officers of Dart.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting. . .

I bought these all from the same dealer who was clearing out TONS of these sketch cards several years ago. There were at least 3 different 'sets' of Auck sketches that he sold. I should have bought more of them.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
I forgot about the six-card consignment cards. 2 of the 3 cards you show were consigned by a private collector to do for their personal "collection" The 6 cards had nothing to do with the issuance of the set, whereas the 4 card set was done by Darren as a bonus for the corporate officers of Dart.

what is consignment ???

do you mean a "commision" sketch?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PaNdeM0niuM,

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Jon,
I heard rumors that other commissioned sketches that had nothing to do with the set were done, but never saw them.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Yes, commissioned, not consignment. I don't know what I was thinking at the time.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Cool info! Thanks Beamer! That's a great collection you have!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Think there was more than 400 produced

Posts: 685 | Location: uk | Registered: September 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Darren,
As per a conversation with Tom Breyer this morning, he thinks I am correct. He is going to contact one of the original sketch artists to confirm.
I was personally involved with the project along with Dino and Tom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beamer,

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
i know one collector who has over 200 sketches, and just doing a check on ebay sales over the last few months, tells me that there had to be more than 400.
very odd

Posts: 685 | Location: uk | Registered: September 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post