Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    I must have had a worse week - I just can't remember when.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I must have had a worse week - I just can't remember when.
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
I needed some money to buy some more cards so I reluctantly put a rare NZ only Star Wars set up for auction on the 'bay. I had a $50 reserve on it and despite 17 watchers it sold for just that. Not without a lot of grizzling and moaning I then set out to spent my fifty bucks. Here's what happened.
I saw a 150 card set of Waterworld going for a ridiculously cheap price of $4.60. After I bought it on a Buy Now I noted that the description said "missing card #109.
Then I saw a Lot above offering 5 random cards of Waterworld for $2.50. Since #109 wasn't listed as a "don't have" I bid, only to have the seller email me to say that he was terribly sorry but #109 had been sold. He cancelled my bid. Meanwhile the 149 card set seller came back to say that postage to New Zealand was $18.
Then I bid on a set of Widevision Superman: Man Of Steel. I new that I had already bought the collectors edition and this one was listed as platinum. When it arrived I discovered that both sets were called platinum but the one I should have bought was "Premiere" so now I have a spare set of Collectors which cost me another $18 to get here.
I also bought Jeff Easley insert MS3. When it got here it had a machine wrapper crimp mark right across the top of the card. The seller said "Sorry, it was visible in the scan and I don't take returns" (no it wasn't)
Finally I saw a full set of Home Improvement going for bids with a start of just $2. Instead of bidding (which I should have done) I put it on watch, missed the close and it went for $3!!! Where's the rope, where's the rafters.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
In these days "watchers" aren't guarantee of sales. Some forget to bid, some spend the money in other stuff, and some are sellers looking your prices to compare.

As a buyer. In the pass months, I maybe forget more than 20 items to bid and near 50% went without a single bid. I always try to read twice the description because every time I made a fast bid can become in buying the wrong stuff. In special in eBay were some seller are lazy with photos of lots and not the actual item to sale.

For the S&H. If you are an International buyer, I recommend you ask the S&H before bidding. If seller don't show the S&H cost in the auction be ready to be asked for a high S&H.

One question. The $18 S&H, is ship by USPS International 1rst Class Mail?

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kane1:

One question. The $18 S&H, is ship by USPS International 1rst Class Mail?

Yes it is.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to watch items similar to what I'm considering on selling.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
That's hard luck there - Sorry to hear it.

When I really want an item I'll put a small bid down so then it's in my bid list that I can keep track of the few items I bid on instead of it getting 'lost' in my Watch List and then ending up on the 'Ended' section.

Good luck with the card hunt. Next week could be brilliant Big Grin

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
btlfannz, how the card set was shipped? Inside a clear Plastic Box then packed in a box?

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
In a 150 sized clear plastic card box then in a cardboard box. Why?

Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Just to know because as buyer I found some sellers in eBay that they ask "S&H", but just threw items in an envelope or a box without any packing material or process.

The $18 is okay for a safe package. Alone the 150 cards inside a clear box can weight from 13-16oz. Shipping outside the USA can take more steps and time than Domestic.

As I said before:

"For the S&H. If you are an International buyer, I recommend you ask the S&H before bidding. If seller don't show the S&H cost in the auction be ready to be asked for a high S&H."

Any one that sell International or if you buy from USA sellers be ready. In January 27, 2013, the USPS will increase their prices rates. The 1rst Class International and Priority Flat Rate box/envelopes will have a big increase.

USPS Postal Explorer
http://pe.usps.com/

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kane1:
Just to know because as buyer I found some sellers in eBay that they ask "S&H", but just threw items in an envelope or a box without any packing material or process.

The $18 is okay for a safe package. Alone the 150 cards inside a clear box can weight from 13-16oz. Shipping outside the USA can take more steps and time than Domestic.

As I said before:

"For the S&H. If you are an International buyer, I recommend you ask the S&H before bidding. If seller don't show the S&H cost in the auction be ready to be asked for a high S&H."

Any one that sell International or if you buy from USA sellers be ready. In January 27, 2013, the USPS will increase their prices rates. The 1rst Class International and Priority Flat Rate box/envelopes will have a big increase.

USPS Postal Explorer
http://pe.usps.com/

Just another nail in the Hobby Coffin for Non U.S. collectors.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post