Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Firstly, a new member hello from Edmonton.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firstly, a new member hello from Edmonton.
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
Picture of Devyn
posted
I didn’t see an Introductions page so, I’ll get right down to business.

2019 saw me get serious about coins and collecting. I’ve been branching out into Antiques and collectables. In my hunting frenzy, lol, I brought my cards out of storage. I don’t have many and none of them are sports related. Finding information about my cards hasn’t been easy although I have found some eBay listings.

Back in the 80’s & 90’s, I collected the Concert Series and the Pro Set series musicards. The 85 Concert Series, I’m 10 away from a full set. The 91 series is a little further off, however, I found an error.

“Are errors on trading cards as desired as mint errors on coins?”

Anyways, I got a few more inquiries about The Garbage Gang and G.I. Joe cards but, that can wait.

Hello btw.

(I am trying to upload photos... I don’t know why I can’t just upload from my device... why do I need to post my photos elsewhere first to get a URL... sounds like a lot of hassle... I don’t do Facebook anymore, don’t use Dropbox nor Pinterest... am I missing an icon in the options section for this or what?)

Posts: 4 | Location: Edmonton  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
First, welcome to Card Talk Devyn.

I can answer a couple of your questions, but not the one about photos. I haven't mastered it either and don't care enough to try. Wink

The introduction is in Card Talk's Greatest Hits, subject Who Are You?, if you want it. Most general non-sport subjects have been covered, so it pays to look through all the forums, as some subjects are easily found and others may not be due to odd titles. Also threads may veer off topic, so you have discussions on other things beside the title.

Error cards are one subject that has existing threads you might like to read and is pretty well described, but to just answer your question. An error on a card means nothing unless there was a corrected card issued. If the error simply exists on all the cards, it's not even called a true error card.

However if there is a corrected version, the one considered more valuable is the one perceived to have the smallest print run. So often it is the corrected card that receives the premium value, rather than the error card that may have more copies.

Because of the way cards are published these days, error cards and corrected cards are more a thing of the past. There may be only one print run, so nothing gets corrected if an error existed. More like it would have to be caught or pulled while printing was still happening. Error cards were more common with sports cards than non-sport cards and by in large sports card collectors value error cards and/or corrected cards more.

Variant cards are another subject you might be interested in coming from the coin world. Sometimes people confuse the difference between an error card and an intentional or unintentional variant. The rule of thumb is still the same though. The more valuable variant is the one produced in the smaller quantity.

Hope that helps. Smile

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of Devyn
posted Hide Post
Yes. Your information has been very valuable. I will search the forums a little more in-depth. When I was first googling a trading card inquiry, this site was one option. The card in question... basically, two cards were printed on one, the front of one with the back of another and I have an error free copy of this card as well but, I understand your explanation of it, thank you!

Posts: 4 | Location: Edmonton  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Welcome.

You can't upload a picture directly onto this forum. It has to hosted somewhere else and you have to add the URL to that location to your post.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Devyn:
Yes. Your information has been very valuable. I will search the forums a little more in-depth. When I was first googling a trading card inquiry, this site was one option. The card in question... basically, two cards were printed on one, the front of one with the back of another and I have an error free copy of this card as well but, I understand your explanation of it, thank you!

That is called a wrong back card. There are also blank back cards. It happened in the printing process when printing sheets/plates were not properly flipped, so it must be an older card. Since you have a corrected version, the wrong back would be an error card. Which one is regarded as more valuable is something you'd have to determine if you can figure out which version is rarer. You're welcome. Smile

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of Devyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
Welcome.

You can't upload a picture directly onto this forum. It has to hosted somewhere else and you have to add the URL to that location to your post.

Yes, this is understood. What isn’t is the why. It is so much easier to upload directly from a device, my iPad for example. I find the extra steps of: paid membership on photobucket or Dropbox not worth it and then to upload there and copy and paste the URL here or elsewhere a chore. I’m just curious as to the why.

New Card Talk Member
Picture of Devyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Devyn:

That is called a wrong back card. There are also blank back cards. It happened in the printing process when printing sheets/plates were not properly flipped, so it must be an older card. Since you have a corrected version, the wrong back would be an error card. Which one is regarded as more valuable is something you'd have to determine if you can figure out which version is rarer. You're welcome. Smile

Yes, thank you. I just really have no knowledge about trading cards whatsoever other than, I wish I would have kept my hockey cards from my youth and the Simpsons cards I gave as a gift, as it seems there’s not a large market for what I got. The dealers I mentioned my cards to in previous years claimed there wasn’t one although I have seen some eBay sales of the very cards I have.