Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bang Theory
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
I just looked through the fronts of all of the BBT base cards on TCDB. Out of 300 base cards, only 6 of them have someone other than the core cast on them (Priya is on 1 card, and Sheldon's mom is on 5).

The show had a great guest cast. It's a shame more of those stars didn't make it onto the cards.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Big Bang Theory cards were well done, but they also missed opportunities. In addition to the one shot guest star, there were recuring guest stars like Will Wheaton and Bob Newhart, and recurring semi-regular cast members like Brian George and John Ross Bowie. Kevin Sussman as Stuart was practically main cast by the end.

I think the focus of the base sets was on the combination photos of first the 5 and then the 7 main characters, but it did make the cards look too much alike. They could have used more variety.

It's a shame that Cryptozoic didn't do a set for every season, only putting out 4 sets over 7 seasons, and then dropping it entirely 5 years before the season 12 finish. I remember the first set went up in price immediately and was one of first titles that really got a premium over the retail fast.

They did much better with the autograph cards. Almost all the guest stars got in and signed. I have a lot of them and should go back and try to pick up more. Ironically it was the autograph cards of the main stars that sunk the title. Once Kaley Cuoco dropped out, interest in the cards dropped too. Then Parsons and Galecki went missing. By the Season 6 & 7 cards, only Helberg, Rauch and Bialik were signing. It was still worth buying for the others, but it's always the big hits that drive demand. No other maker picked them up, so the license must have seemed too expensive without most of the stars signing. Too bad.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

It's a shame that Cryptozoic didn't do a set for every season, only putting out 4 sets over 7 seasons, and then dropping it entirely 5 years before the season 12 finish.

Was really hoping to see an official Jerry O'Connell auto card for my Stand By Me file.

They could have combined seasons pushed it all out in two releases.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I read through the thread on the release of the first set. It was delayed several months and collectors were frustrated with that and then they learned the main cast autographs were going to be rare which turned out to be roughly just one per case. Maybe Cryptozoic didn't have it much easier getting out the next few sets and maybe the price of the license went up. Once some of the main cast decided not to sign again, that was the last straw for the company.

Were the main cast autographs about as rare in the last couple of sets?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Were the main cast autographs about as rare in the last couple of sets?

I bought quite a few boxes of the last 3 sets. The first one got too expensive, too fast for me. The only main cast I ever got was Jim Parsons from a Season 5 box, so I would say they still stayed as rare thru out, but I don't know the number for anybody.

I did pull Laurie Metcalf and Christina Baranski out of Season 6 & 7, along with some other good names, so I liked that set. I got Sussman from Season 5. Also, the relics were pretty good in all sets, if you like costume cards. If you want a cheaper Rauch autograph card, she signed in a "True Blood" set.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post