Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Hurray for the little guy.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurray for the little guy.
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted
Are you like me? ( don't answer that ). Big Grin

I hear a lot on the forum about people buying cases of cards and completing autograph runs and buying £100 sketches but there must be loads of people like me who can only afford to collect a base set or piece together a few chase card sets.

I have just completed my base and chase sets for Bond 50th and for me this is quite an achievement and i certainly did not manage to do it alone, i had help from friends in the hobby for which i am very thankful.

So if you are like me and rejoice when you complete a base set or a low end chase set let's hear from you and what you have collected recently which allthough not worth hundreds of pounds does amount to the best that you can do which is never a bad thing. Smile

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Great idea. And great post. Hope to see more of 'em.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Right there with you Wolfie! At my best I only bought 3 boxes of one product. That is why I like those Doctor Who cards, they are inexpensive except for just a few. Some of the sets on my want list that I still need cards for are 5 years old plus. As fun as it is to open boxes it is much cheaper to just buy a set off ebay and slowly piece together the sketches.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I have a broad range of clients. I have a few that plug alone and get what they, which is usually only base and aew low end chase sets and they LOVE their cards (and Star Trek). Spending lots for sure doesn't always equal passion. I admire people who plug along and do what they can.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with you! At the most I bought a case but now that I'm looking for work I have downsized to only a box or two for some very select sets. I do try and complete base and chase sets being satisified with an auto or two.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Well done Wolfie! I'm a bit like you in that I can't afford to buy cases of stuff (I can just about afford the occasional dumped and therefore cheap box!) but I do still like to pick up the odd pack (when I can find them) and work on a set the old-fashioned way. It was by doing this that I completed my Thunderbirds the Movie near master set (I'm only missing a couple of the artists) - I got a cheap box and binder, then pieced together the rest of the set by buying from dealers at shows and eBay, and by trading for some of the less common promos.
Took me a couple of years, but it was worth if for the sense of achievement!
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
Absolutely everyone. Lets get back to the fun of building a set and less about how much your cards are worth.

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Congrats Wolfie! That's actually 1 of my goals for the next year is to do that on a couple sets as a fun challenge!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
When times were good I used to get all my cards at local shows. Now I don't have any source for singles, so I must buy at least a box of any favorite product and that will normally get me one base set, a couple of chase cards, and 1 - 3 premium hits. That's where I stop most of the time, although a good autograph list might make me take a chance on one or two more boxes.

I am amazed at the number of collectors who talk about buying multiple cases. I don't know how they can justify spending that much on a blind item that is certainly not a necessity. I also don't know how it remains fun if you are not doing it as a business, too much of anything just makes it meaningless after all.

There is a lot to be said for the little guy who can still appreciate slowly working to complete a set and looking for those bargains to fill in the gaps. That's what this hobby should be about, looking to find rare things, not just spend a small fortune to be finished on the date of release.

And I still believe that the small to medium guy is the foundation of card collecting. Without all those average guys at the base the pyramid crumbles.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
I have got to say that I have felt quite disenfranchised on this forum sometimes when the posts go on about buying cases, multiple boxes and spending squillions on specific cards. For all of that I keep my own counsel and carry on collecting the Wolfie way as I always have, as I always will.I believe that to each his (her) own and if collecting by the case is what floats your boat then more power to you. I have pondered many times (both to myself and on this board) about what I would buy if I won Lotto (sorry - scrub that, I mean WHEN I win Lotto). Without a shadow of a doubt I would collect backwards (in years)but again, if you've got the semolias (Boss Hogg) and full cases turns you on, then I am just delighted that you are collecting at all. With a bit of luck you will have enormous piles of commons that I can buy/trade with you. Now that's where the joy comes from!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Well said Raven. I am a small time collector, and my budget usually alows for a box of cards. With that, I am happy with the few chase cards I happen to pull. Sometimes, I will then shop aroud for some chase cards or low end autos of characters I find interesting. But most of all, I still enjoy the experience of opening packs and seeing what I pull.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments so far, keep them coming. Smile

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying collecting the James Bond 50th cards as well. I'm just a few parallel cards away from that set, then I may get a couple of the more interesting autograph cards.

Posts: 1116 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
Very interesting post.

I have thought the same thing for years.

When I was still collecting I would get a box or two and buy or trade for the cards the set still needed. I did purchase 1 case of cards once the Highlander the series as it was my favorite show. I foolishly thought by get a case it would yield me a full master set. Wrong short 2 cards for a master set ( did finish the set a few years later). From that moment on never bought another case as I could not spend that kind of money on every release.

Just like btlfannz I also felt disenfranchised on this forum if you were not part of a specific clique and at one point was told if I don’t like the way the hobby is to leave it as others will take my place or guess you needed a better life and job. So I left and liquidated most of my collection. Once and awhile I lurk to look for an artist that still owes me a AP commission from 2 years ago and also see if anything has changed. The few times I have lurked it really does not seem like it has much at all.

I think now compared to in the past it’s all about instant gratification and bragging rights like the mail day or look at my collection posts. It always use to amaze me when a product would get released and within 24 hours of that release you would have folks post they have 25 or 30 or more cards already from back room deals or whatever.
I have even heard of people using whatever means to get what they want included telling sellers they are disabled and to give them a break to I’m unemployed and don’t have the extra money to I am a serious collector so sell to me to save time, etc. Then they bragged on how they got the card and beat so and so to it. When I was told this by some sellers just made me sick to think people do that for a trading card.

I still believe that small time collector is not driving the hobby it’s the multiple case rip-n-flip money makers. The companies now have up the prices per box and started to put out high dollar low number sets. Although, with all the subsets, both limited and regular and that you’re not guaranteed a base set out of a box anymore without the rip-n-flip money makers it would be extremely hard complete a set unless we would go back to “trading” with each other again and not worry about the $$ so much.

So hats off to you wolfie and all “little guys” that are hanging in there in the non sport jungle.

Posts: 856 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brimaster:
Very interesting post.

I have thought the same thing for years.

When I was still collecting I would get a box or two and buy or trade for the cards the set still needed. I did purchase 1 case of cards once the Highlander the series as it was my favorite show. I foolishly thought by get a case it would yield me a full master set. Wrong short 2 cards for a master set ( did finish the set a few years later). From that moment on never bought another case as I could not spend that kind of money on every release.

Just like btlfannz I also felt disenfranchised on this forum if you were not part of a specific clique and at one point was told if I don’t like the way the hobby is to leave it as others will take my place or guess you needed a better life and job. So I left and liquidated most of my collection. Once and awhile I lurk to look for an artist that still owes me a AP commission from 2 years ago and also see if anything has changed. The few times I have lurked it really does not seem like it has much at all.

I think now compared to in the past it’s all about instant gratification and bragging rights like the mail day or look at my collection posts. It always use to amaze me when a product would get released and within 24 hours of that release you would have folks post they have 25 or 30 or more cards already from back room deals or whatever.
I have even heard of people using whatever means to get what they want included telling sellers they are disabled and to give them a break to I’m unemployed and don’t have the extra money to I am a serious collector so sell to me to save time, etc. Then they bragged on how they got the card and beat so and so to it. When I was told this by some sellers just made me sick to think people do that for a trading card.

I still believe that small time collector is not driving the hobby it’s the multiple case rip-n-flip money makers. The companies now have up the prices per box and started to put out high dollar low number sets. Although, with all the subsets, both limited and regular and that you’re not guaranteed a base set out of a box anymore without the rip-n-flip money makers it would be extremely hard complete a set unless we would go back to “trading” with each other again and not worry about the $$ so much.

So hats off to you wolfie and all “little guys” that are hanging in there in the non sport jungle.

Yeah, what he said!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Funny you bring up this topic because just the other day I was thinking how I would love to see sets from movies/tv shows the way they used to be back when I was a kid. A set released when the movie was still in the theaters and a base set was 88 cards with a 15 card sticker set and nothing else. Forget about autos, fabrics and all the other overpriced extras. Although I think they are really cool and would love to own them it becomes less of a hobby and more of an extra job hunting these down and I don't know about you but I hate work. So my brain tells me collect what you like and if you get any/all of these bonus cards then good, but that little black hole inside me; I just call him "collector", tells me I have to get them all and if I don't I won't be complete, my set won't be complete and the cards I need will be worth thousands and I'll never get one. Oooo I hate that guy.

I'm thinking of getting back into this hobby, I had been a collector from the 70's up until 2000 or so. I was out of work and had to stop collecting trading cards and comic books. A couple moths ago I started back in with comics and was shocked with this whole variant cover books...again collector told me I need all the variant covers, sometimes I listen, sometimes I don't. He can be very persuasive. If anyone out there collects comics you know what I'm talking about.

Posts: 5 | Location: Philly | Registered: November 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, the days when you went to a fair and got some cheap £10 pound fantasy art boxes and you tried to finish them......
Glad I did, those were the days Smile Smile
Traiding cards are still good, can't go crazy as I'd like, too many cardsets comming out Frown
makes for a good time though Smile Smile Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I know I'll be happy when I finish my Warehouse 13 Season 2 base set, not even half way yet Smile

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think these are the best reasons to collect. Most of my favorite cards are the ones that I searched a long time for because I really liked a certain aspect about them and not the most expensive. I used to have some more expensive cards in my collection but realized I got them mainly because of that reason and not much else.

Posts: 153 | Location: Washington | Registered: September 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I too am a person who can only afford to buy a couple of boxes of each set I like. I am glad for this thread, as I also felt that I am in the minority of collectors who work on their sets for a stretch of time. I have resigned myself to the fact that there are some sets I may never complete because of the shear cost of some of the pieces. I do really enjoy being able to trade for the cards I need with others and I try not to get caught up in the have to finish the whole set ASAP.

Yeah for the little guy building their sets through trading and buying 2 and 3 cards at a time. I'll just keep plugging away at my sets and enjoying doing what I can to add to them when I can.

I don't begrudge the people who have the cash to buy large lots of cards at a time but that just isn't practical for everyone.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post