Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What happened to Breygent?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happened to Breygent?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if Breygent will still produce the Grimm S3/4 cards? Or did they pull the plug on all trading card business?

I really would like another (final) Grimm release...

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Back in May Breygent's official response was short and sweet, "we are working on our toy licenses".

I have no other insight to say they pulled the plug on trading cards, but it sure looks like it.

In any event the lack of further communication from Breygent in threads like this one can only be taken as confirmation. If the door were still open for new card releases they could just say it.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
Thanks Raven, that's too bad. It looked they already had some autographs in house.

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Breygent made such unique autograph and relics cards, its not hard to believe they still have a reserve for replacements and maybe some neat stuff in process.

The inscriptions that they were able to get on the autographs and the different color inks really made them outstanding. As for the relics, they were real relics. No manufactured fake medallions or pins or stamps. Breygent had chain links, earring parts, pieces of actual props placed in those thick cards. And the costume swatches, sometimes coupled with autographs, were excellent too. Compare those relic and autograph cards to some of the stuff that is coming out of the usual suspects for three times the price now.

If more autograph and relic cards are being held in the Breygent vault, and no other sets are made, I would hope that they get released in the end through someone. I don't see them going to waste, gathering dust somewhere when they would be enjoyed, if they exist.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Breygent were VERY good for our Hobby - Tom always set up at the Philly show with examples of new product and great Promo's and he also supported the Chicago Show as well. Always great talking to Tom as well. I wish them all the best for the future and thanks for the cards. I was hoping that Grimm would come out but at least we had some sets Smile

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well if we are going to start eulogizing Breygent, it's only fair to mention how their cards affected the other manufacturers. It made them better. It gave them better ideas that they took as their own because they had bigger titles and higher production runs.

I met Tom only once, many years ago at the New York ComicCon. He had Dexter premium boxes as his newest release. Those little boxes, with a full set, inserts and two premium hits, no wrappers. They did the same thing with the Tudors and Vampiralla. That seemed like such a sensible idea to me. Same as a hobby box, only cheaper. If Breygent wasn't the first to come up with it, I kind of think they were, they used the format the most. I don't know why more card collectors didn't take to premium box sets.

Later on Breygent came up with the Mystery Packs, another great idea and not too expensive in the beginning. The only drawback was that you had to want the titles and types of hits inside or some of the cards were of no interest. When the packs were cheap it was still a good deal, when they became expensive the variety became a liability I think.

Already talked about their autograph and relic cards. They started off with great coverage and I believe got better with just about every set of an entertainment title. When you bought the Tudors or Dexter, you got unusual real relics and you had a very decent shot at getting the star actors. There was no, we put 12 autographs of the show's star in the mix and you will probably never pull one. There was no, one star signature in every case ratio. You pulled the big names at just about the same ratios as everyone else. In later products, actors not only signed, but many of them inscribed.

Grimm, outstanding variety of hits, autographs, plates, colored cards, off the wall relics, those lenticular cards, you name it, Grimm had it.

I really can't say enough about the quality of Breygent cards. They were really made for collectors by people who really knew collectors. The stumbling block in the end was titles that were a bit limiting and not being able to get sets out fast enough to take advantage of new shows. No matter what the internal problems, the cards when released were constructed way better than anybody else's cards.

That's not my opinion. Just go look at them, it's a fact. Thankfully, whatever else happens or doesn't happen, those cards are on the market and can be enjoyed. So if anyone needs a goal to collect cards, might I suggest you look at something with Breygent on the back. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very very tough to make a full on card set from scratch now days and not lose money. Many of us have been looking at doing it again, just to hard to do, especially with the collector base seemingly greatly evaporated

Posts: 6 | Location: All over the world | Registered: August 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenEps1:
Very very tough to make a full on card set from scratch now days and not lose money. Many of us have been looking at doing it again, just to hard to do, especially with the collector base seemingly greatly evaporated

Darren

Good to hear from you again, are you getting back into the Card world again?

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have been pondering it John for a couple of years. I picked up a couple of projects, but did not proceed with them. The market landscape looked to hard to make the traditional product work.

But would certainly like to again.

Posts: 6 | Location: All over the world | Registered: August 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Wish they were still producing cards. From what I've learnt from other collectors they're still in business but ceased trading card production for future releases.

Don't know if this is a hiatus or permanent move. Shame either way. They produced some great sets and I really enjoyed their licences for Bates Motel and American Horror Story franchise.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I don't think we have heard the last of Breygent, i have this image of Tom sitting in his secret base saying...........

The World Shall Hear From Me Again. Eek

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I don't think we have heard the last of Breygent, i have this image of Tom sitting in his secret base saying...........

The World Shall Hear From Me Again. Eek

That's what MySpace Tom said too... Wink

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post