Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    How to back fill missing Chase Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to back fill missing Chase Cards
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
I'm sure its been discussed before, but was wondering how collectors go about filling holes of chase cards from old sets

Buying old boxes with the odds of getting 3 or 4 per box (and hopeing its ones you need) is not the way to go.

Buying the complete set of Chase Cards kind of takes the fun out of things (and then leaves you with duplicates of the one you have)

So you can try by buying individual cards as you come across them which is fun (but does start to add up, and at some point you realize it would have been much cheaper to buy the whole set)

Lastly, you can try to trade for the cards you have. But for most chase sets for the casual collector like me, I really don't have many duplicated to offer so it becomes tough to make deals

Was wondering how other collectors deal with this, or are there a lot of partial chase sets out there in everybody's collection

I'm talking things like the Portrait Cards from Start Trek 40th (Series 1 and 2)

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I tend to buy the complete set - I know it takes the fun out of the chase but I like to get it over with!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:

Was wondering how other collectors deal with this, or are there a lot of partial chase sets out there in everybody's collection.

By me, yes, lots. If I really feel the need to complete, which is rare, I look to buy it complete, even if it means I have duplicates.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In my case I'm trying to fill some old promo sets but it's the same situation. In the old days, speaking of the 90's to early 2000's here, I used to pick up extras of what I had when I knew they would be good for trading. I can't really afford to do that anymore but sometimes I do find a great lot that has what I want plus has extras for not much more money than the one card would have been had I found it as a single.

Yeah, it's usually cheaper and a lot less time-consuming to just buy the set when you can. There's always something else to look for. I definitely have a bunch of partial sets sometimes only one card out of several in a set.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Yeah, trading isn't what it used to be... Neither is buying for that matter.

Yet, the best way I've found to complete a set- round up a list of card dealers that still sell from a store, or online via a site of theirs. I think for some of us, it's time to go back to the old school method of collecting Wink

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
www.comc.com May be able to help you. I've filled in lots of holes this way.

If you buy cards with store credit you can store them and have them shipped later in one batch.

International shipping is only $4.99 too.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I expected Facebook groups to be of use, but so far I have not had a lot of luck with them. I tried to get some old SW sets completed, ones from 2002 to 2006. I got a few bites where people said they had such-and-such a card. Any follow-up from me to try and get a trade or buy rolling never garnered any responses.

Oh well.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weasel-king:
I expected Facebook groups to be of use, but so far I have not had a lot of luck with them. I tried to get some old SW sets completed, ones from 2002 to 2006. I got a few bites where people said they had such-and-such a card. Any follow-up from me to try and get a trade or buy rolling never garnered any responses.

Oh well.

Totally agree, I had high hopes for some of the Facebook groups, but actually have basically totally stopped going on them because I haven't had any real luck buying or selling on them.

I think the format is bad for buying/selling cards -- there isn't a search feature, it seems to be hit or miss how and when posts show up in feeds, and posts that aren't even very old fall of feeds really fast. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
I backfill by trading. Last week I swapped to get chase inserts on my want list (almost 20 yrs) here on CTalk.
There are cards I have listed as wants that are not at all rare - really not that scarce either.

Not as many traders on here anymore - guess they don't want to invest their time in it.
I'm aware its much easier to just buy'em when you see them.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post