Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Astronaut / NASA cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Astronaut / NASA cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
I live in Huntsville AL (where the Saturn 5 rocket was developed, at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center) and my wife works for NASA, so I've always had a a soft spot for related cards. Here are a few that I'm looking for more information on.

First: STS Mission Cards from United Space Alliance. USA was a company that ran launch operations for NASA for a while. They issued sets of cards for shuttle missions STS-75 through about STS-95 (approximate -- I've seen sets for these on Worthpoint and elsewhere, but am not confident that there aren't others as well). Each set is sealed in a plastic bag, and consists of about 10 cards, featuring the launch, landing, and portraits of the aatronauts involved.

I don't know much about these next ones. They appear to be issued in association with the various Expeditions on the International Space Station. The ones that I have seen come in cello packs of two cards, and don't have a sponsor or manufacturer printed on them. I have no idea how many cards were released.

These last ones appear to be of retired scientists and engineers from Marshall Space Flight Center who volunteer as docents at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center (the museum which runs Space Camp). I have an email address for someone at the museum who may be able to tell me more about these, and will contact her next week. I found these pictures online, and don't have any other information about them.

I'm interested in knowing more about these, if anyone has information, and in acquiring more of these if anyone has spares.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There were at least two discussions about STS cards here on Card Talk. Check it out:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....737055006#2737055006

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....897092586#1897092586

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links. Looks like I even participated in one of the threads. A mind is a terrible thing to waste . . .

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Picked this up when I worked on the "other" side of the base years ago. Nowak had a colorful history. Wink

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Nowak had a colorful history.

Boy did she. She could get a job endorsing adult diapers now.

Speaking of "colorful history", astronaut James Halsell had a card in the STS-83 set. I just sent it to him to get signed at his current address -- the Bibb County Correctional Facility in Brent, AL.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
It's crazy to read of so many incredible life accomplishments only to see it all tumble down so quickly.

Did you get word he was communicating or are you just taking a shot in the dark?

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Did you get word he was communicating or are you just taking a shot in the dark?

Shot in the dark. His wife still lives in Huntsville, out in Mt. Carmel.