Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Card Collecting Terms Project
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Card Collecting Terms Project
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Ed,

How about those filler cards that manufacturers put in packs to balance weight or give bulk to the pack?

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
There are also cards with reverse photography. Musiccards did this with the John Lennon card. In one version his left hand is raised in the other his right is raised. I forgot the term for this situation. It might be reverse image.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevetrek:
There are also cards with reverse photography. Musiccards did this with the John Lennon card. In one version his left hand is raised in the other his right is raised. I forgot the term for this situation. It might be reverse image.

Yes, they were called reverse image or reverse negative cards and were regarded as error cards. Which also brings up another term, corrected card.

If a card had an error, but no other version was made to correct that error, that was the card. Years ago manufacturers did make an effort to put out corrected versions, which made the first card a true error card. The higher value could go either way, depending on which version had the bigger print run. It could be that the corrected version was way rarer than the error card, or the error card might be scarcer.

How many people remember the Upper Deck Billy Ripken "FF" on the bat handle? That one had about four corrected versions. It wasn't a reverse negative, just an unnoticed obscenity that got it in trouble.

Recent cards, with their one time printing and limited numbers, are almost never corrected, no matter what the mistake may be.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
What about 'centered' meaning badly or perfectly in terms of the image on the card. Cards of the 90's from the mass publishers were lousy with these.
Then there is the wrappers:
Foils
Wax
'cello
Paper and
plastic
Storage boxes (5,000ct etc)

PS I still want to know what a 'keepsake' card is.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Dealer or Card Dealer - When is it a dealer and when is it just a seller?

Good luck with is one. I've argued this point many times and have never come to an agreement on where the line is drawn between being a dealer and just someone who sells some cards.

quote:
Distributor or Card Distributor - What's the difference between a distributor and a dealer?

This one is a little easier to discern, though some dealers like to use Distribution in their name.

quote:
Manufacturer or Card Manufacturer - Is it made by a major brand or a home art project?

Yes, this too has been argued with little resolution. If a company who makes cards sells them direct to collectors are they not also dealers?

quote:
L - Limited - How many copies is that?
XL - Extra Limited - Same question.
VL - Very Limited - Same question.

It's pretty much Rittenhouse that has the EL,VL,L scale. Do you put that in such a list since it's not a universal term?

quote:
So if we all think about and want to be inelusive in this project, which really is a project, we could come up with many more of these words or terms that get batted around, but may still be misunderstood even when we think we know them. Smile

There are many terms that may be disputed in some way, which makes this a difficult project.

That's also why I came looking or help. I didn't want it to just be completely my opinion.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The "Keepsake Collection" was an early 1990's creation of the card manufacturer Comic Images who specialized in various Super-heroes and Illustrator Art card sets.

This one shown for "Amazing Spider-Man" is from 1992 and is a good example what one consists of. It contains six oversized black and white cards commemorating the then-new hit character Carnage. These are too big to be considered proper trading cards.
The Keepsake card, then, is actually is a six card mini-press sheet, the same images on the oversized cards, but here at regular card size, albeit uncut, and in full color. I don't think the six cards on the sheet were ever issued as individual cut cards.

The Comic Images prism card, the "added bonus" I believe was a chase card from a previously issued Comic Images Spider-Man set. Many, if not all, of these keepsake sets were made alongside a corresponding regular card set on that subject, so they could usually draw the "bonus" prism from one of those sets, meaning it was not a newly created card for this set. The packages were numbered limited editions as you can see by the unique red number on this set's envelope.

This was the format for many of the Keepsakes Collections. There are others featuring super-heroes and I know there is at least one for Conan, and plenty for various individual artists, I would think, but I can't name one off-hand. I'm sure we have some folks here with nice collections of these.

They are handsome items, and Comic Images was still selling them as late as 1996 at Comic-con. Given the massive card production runs of those days, they actually ARE limited, and certainly by comparison to most of the Comic Images cards issued in packs, especially those from 1991 through about 1993 which were wildly overproduced by today's standards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Chesspieceface: Leave it up. It's educational. I got into the game as Comic Images was dying a slow death. So I was unfamiliar with these. Now how to condense that into a definition...

Starchild, and all: Any grammar/spelling corrections are quite welcome. I'm assembling this on a spreadsheet for ease of sorting. But it has limited spell checking and nothing for grammar.

Added another 14 definitions today. Life is good. Thumb Up

Still mulling the error/corrected card definitions and if we want to get into every little manufacturer's term. That could get tricky.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post