Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ARE WE SHRINKING?
 Login/Join

Picture of Gregore
posted
I saw in some other threads (especially the X-files incentive discussion)that the hobby is shrinking and collectors are bailing. Do you experienced folks out there feel that this is true?
I know a hobby like this has highs and lows. Plus the economy doesn't help. But I am seeing less responses to box breakdowns. Example: Considering the latest Potter was sold out, I thought there would more of a turn out in that thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gregore,

Posts: 89 | Location: Earth - I'm told | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Stargate SG-1 season series used to have releases of 8000 boxes, but season 10 was 4000 and this is a popular set so that suggests there is some truth to the 'smaller market'.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
only when its cold,............

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I think that when the US economy starts to get back on track people will be coming back to buying boxes of cards with more regularity.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. . .

Attendance at Wizard World seemed considerably higher than it was last year, yet posts on the subject were far fewer this year. . . Perhaps that is due to there being more collectors in general (not card specific).

Then again card dealers and sketch artists attending WW seem to be happy with how they did at the show. . .

Prices on things I watch for on eBay seem to be climbing as well so it appears as though there are buyers.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
Non sport collectors and dealers are spending less money, yeah. thats a fact. But its just, the cost of living in most countries that collect has gotten so much more expensive as of late, its hard to justify these box prices, considering how many products keep getting put out every month. Also, considering how sorta bad some of the efforts in non sport have been as of late, its just hard to ask the average collector and dealer, in this really tight fiscal times, to keep up buying 70+ dollar boxes, that might have only 12-13 dollars of sale value in them. When that happens, on everylevel, the market begins to shrink. Cause, if you dont have people feeling they want/can/need to break the boxes for the singles, then you dont have a hobby anymore.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
Stargate SG-1 season series used to have releases of 8000 boxes, but season 10 was 4000 and this is a popular set so that suggests there is some truth to the 'smaller market'.

Sorry but you are incorrect. Stargate SG-1 season series for the last 4 seasons were all 6,000 boxes, not 8,000.

Decreasing from 6,000 to 4,000 is not that big of a deal because lets not forget that the series has been cancelled (no new episodes) and two of the main signers for series 10 are
Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge and this makes the 4th time they are signing for a SG-1 series. This also makes the 5th time Michael Shanks signs as Daniel Jackson and the second time Claudia black signed. (Too many repeat signers)

RA did a great job decreasing the release because they didn't add anything special to the release to warrant the increase of the number of boxes.

If they would have gotten General Landry to sign or had double autographs that would have been better

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon@webjon.com:
Interesting question. . .

Attendance at Wizard World seemed considerably higher than it was last year, yet posts on the subject were far fewer this year. . . Perhaps that is due to there being more collectors in general (not card specific).

Then again card dealers and sketch artists attending WW seem to be happy with how they did at the show. . .

Prices on things I watch for on eBay seem to be climbing as well so it appears as though there are buyers.

Jon

Attendane may be higher, but my question is were people just browsing? That WAS the case at WW Philly this year from 4 dealers that I know. They all had bad years.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
People may be quitting the hobby but the same &^*%$^& who outbid me on everything that i ever try and win seem to still be around. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the economy... my day job is in the model railroad dept and that is slowing down across the board and those collectors drop $1200.00 US for an engine like it was nothing so it's not just the Non Sports Card market.

Posts: 377 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think there's a little bit of a perfect storm going on right now. The economy is bad, gas alone is driving all sorts of prices upward. Then there is too much product. One release per year is probably enough for most licenses, but the manufacturers are now putting out 2 and sometimes 3 related sets in the same year. This is overkill and requires people to lay off competing products released at the same time. And finally the hobby is changing in terms of sticker autographs, higher priced packs, dealer incentives, over production of sketches and so forth. A lot of older collectors don't like the directions.

So are we shrinking? In the sense that discretionary income is down and that makes people more picky, yes. In the sense that the collector base is losing interest, I don't think so.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
It is probably more accurate to say we are shrinking and shirking the hobby.

Frown

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No signs of me shrinking. I ate all the pies.

Seriously though, I feel the market is flooded numerous releases and people are finding it difficult to choose which sets to collect and which to miss.

I started out collecting Trek, X-files, Stargate, Babylon 5 and Dr Who now I am considering letting the new X-files pass me by as the 10 case incentive will be very expensive.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gregore:
I saw in some other threads (especially the X-files incentive discussion)that the hobby is shrinking and collectors are bailing. Do you experienced folks out there feel that this is true?
I know a hobby like this has highs and lows. Plus the economy doesn't help. But I am seeing less responses to box breakdowns. Example: Considering the latest Potter was sold out, I thought there would more of a turn out in that thread.

the hobby is shrinking I believe due to the economy and peoples frustrations with the way things are done(why I sold my collection)

Your observations on the box breaks and activity on the boards is different. I am on a few boards that are not only as busy but picking up. It was even discussed on another board that you can not post an opinion here without being attacked and in some cases called names and sworn at.

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
People may be quitting the hobby but the same &^*%$^& who outbid me on everything that i ever try and win seem to still be around. Big Grin

That is especially true now that Ebay does not allow you to see who you are bidding against. I am having people that have never outbid me before, outbidding me. Very fruustrating.

I do think things are slowing down, people are taking a break from the hobby, or getting out totally..

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I'm spending more these days than I was 2-months, 6-months, or a year ago. Gas prices don't bother me because I budget for my hobbies.

I used to be a heavy collector of hockey cards. One of the message boards I used to frequent was run by the price guide bible of the sports market. There were a lot of people on the boards, but overall they represented such a small percentage of the buying audience. I don't know how many people are on these boards, but I'm guessing the same percentage scenario exists here.

I wouldn't worry about the sky-is-falling mentality. Less people around here? It is summer time. People take vacations, spend more time outside. When the weather turns cooler they'll be back.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
For me, I'm just getting lazy. Plus, a lot of the discussions lately (at least more than I care for) have been about random stuff about people's personal collections. When it comes to reporting box breaks, I'm too lazy to scan and post. Besides, most of my pulls have been boring. The way I see it, if they're boring for me, they're probably boring for everyone else too.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KnightQuest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
And finally the hobby is changing in terms of sticker autographs, higher priced packs, dealer incentives, over production of sketches and so forth. A lot of older collectors don't like the directions.

AGREED !!

Damn sticker autographs. Let's see how many will be crying when they start peeling or falling off in about five years. For me, RA will be the only product I will be purchasing (unless they move to stickers also, then I'm out!)
I know I'm missing out on some great names (Ford, Anderson, Duchovny), but I REFUSE to buy stickers.
Lucky for you, your odds just got better I guess. One less person collecting. Frown

So sad, Inkworks you were my favorite. Frown

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted, and I just had to vent.

Posts: 84 | Location: Austin | Registered: May 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KnightQuest:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
And finally the hobby is changing in terms of sticker autographs, higher priced packs, dealer incentives, over production of sketches and so forth. A lot of older collectors don't like the directions.

AGREED !!

Damn sticker autographs. Let's see how many will be crying when they start peeling or falling off in about five years. For me, RA will be the only product I will be purchasing (unless they move to stickers also, then I'm out!)
I know I'm missing out on some great names (Ford, Anderson, Duchovny), but I REFUSE to buy stickers.
Lucky for you, your odds just got better I guess. One less person collecting. Frown

So sad, Inkworks you were my favorite. Frown

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted, and I just had to vent.

A very interesting point. No one really knows how long the stickers will stay stuck onto the cards.

Is this something people should be concerned about? It would be interesting if the companies which are going to these stickers would comment on this, as you would hope that they researched this, before making this decision.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of secondsight
posted Hide Post
Well I just came back into the hobby. I collected mostly Marvel and DC cards in the 1990s and was out for about 10 years. It wasn't until late last year that I got back into the hobby; and just in time for the DC Legacy and the return of Marvel Masterpieces (good timing on my part for a return). I am totally into the Women of Marvel set... just loved it. I just got the Marvel Masterpieces set 2 and will be getting both Batman and Fantastic Four from Rittenhouse.

So you grew by at least 1 person. Smile

Posts: 18 | Location: Taxachusetts | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post