Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    James Bond Dangerous Liaisons Famke Janssen rarity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond Dangerous Liaisons Famke Janssen rarity
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted
Just how rare is the Famke Janssen auto from the James Bond Dangerous Liaisons set?
I've just seen one for sale for nearly US$1500.

The Rittenhouse checklist has it listed as Very Limited and not even Extremely Limited (I don't remember if the set was released before the Extremely Limited designation came into being).

Posts: 3252 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you is that the NSU price guide has it listed as $275, which is a long way from $1,500.

It's not what the seller asks, its what the seller gets that counts.

I think that the card is limited, but neither Craig, Brosnan or Berry Bond autographs break a thousand, so I would say no way for a Janssen.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Yeah I've seen that BIN listing, that seller does often have some optimistic pricing. She's rare but not $1500 rare IMO. I think her second full bleed dilutes the value of the first. I would rather have her second FB auto for less money not least because I prefer the picture on it!

This, her first full-bleed card was designated as Very Limited, but this was before the Extremely Limited designation was created. Had it been around in '06, this Janssen would have been EL as her card was a very short print.

One dealer I know quoted 1 in 14 cases and this was over a 6,000 box/ 500 case run (which is the smallest run size of Bond titles).
Even if we were being generous and said she was 1 in 10 cases we're talking approx. 50 cards in total, she is A LOT rarer than any Brosnan, Craig or Berry card to date. At release collectors and dealers gave RA a lot of heat for making her too rare compared to her designation of 200-300 cards, which was clearly not true, as they were simply not being found in case breaks.

At release she was a £350 card and I saw one end with a BIN a couple months back for £135!!! Wish I'd seen that one in time.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
If X is correct and there are only around 50 cards, it must be one of the rarest autograph cards around.

I know there are a few that may be less like Hugh Jackman from Van Helsing and Ron Moore from Star Trek DS9 Memories of the Future. I guess some of the multicase incentives are probably as scarce.

Posts: 3252 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
If X is correct and there are only around 50 cards, it must be one of the rarest autograph cards around.

I know there are a few that may be less like Hugh Jackman from Van Helsing and Ron Moore from Star Trek DS9 Memories of the Future. I guess some of the multicase incentives are probably as scarce.

Well now hold up a minute, you are going to have to define what you mean by a rare autograph card. Rare for a particular product, rare for just Bond cards, rare for an on card autograph, rare for a sticker autograph?

There are a whole host of certified autograph cards that have been numbered 1/25, 1/10, 1/5 and even 1/1. Most of those are the sticker variety and I don't put much stock in the idea that manufacturers are creating something rare by just affixing pre-signed autographs to a slightly different version of a card. Still, they are techinically numbered to a small amount.

So 50 copies of a certified autograph card, is not the rarest of all, when taken just in context.

As for my comparison of Janssen to Craig and Brosnan and Berry autographs, I am sure that X is right about the numbers. I would never question his knowledge of Bond cards, but here's why I used that comparison.

Regardless of the actual number of autographs signed, give a normal collector the choice of buying any one of those three stars or the Janssen at the same price and I am pretty sure that the Janssen will be the least one chosen. So my point about the pricing is, if Craig, Brosnan and Berry are not pulling down $1000 prices, than there is no way that people are shelling it out for Janssen.

I do think that she probably worth more than the guide is listing though.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Okay.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Shall we just keep it simple and say it's a stupidly rare card? I think it is probably the rarest Bond auto card after the John Rhys-Davies 15-case card.

To a 'normal' collector, or your casual Bond fan maybe Janssen would be at the bottom of the pile but then again she is one of the most popular Bond girls. Personally I'd rather have her card than Daniel Craig's or Halle Berry's any day of the week.

But when we're talking trading cards, of all things, often the normal collector perspective goes straight out the window. Brosnan, Craig and Berry may not pull in $1,000 but all you need is a super short printed auto card to achieve those prices, whoever may be the signer.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Shall we just keep it simple and say it's a stupidly rare card? I think it is probably the rarest Bond auto card after the John Rhys-Davies 15-case card.

To a 'normal' collector, or your casual Bond fan maybe Janssen would be at the bottom of the pile but then again she is one of the most popular Bond girls. Personally I'd rather have her card than Daniel Craig's or Halle Berry's any day of the week.

But when we're talking trading cards, of all things, often the normal collector perspective goes straight out the window. Brosnan, Craig and Berry may not pull in $1,000 but all you need is a super short printed auto card to achieve those prices, whoever may be the signer.

When I said normal I should have of course said average collector, as an average card collector is generally not trying to make master sets or even complete an autograph checklist. Before this thread started I had no idea that the Janssen Dangerous Liaisons card was close to being the rariest of the Bond autograph cards. I suspect that a lot of people reading this, who are not Bond set collectors, didn't know that either.

If I had say $XXX to burn, and those four cards were available for $XXX, I would go Brosnan, than Craig, then Berry, then Janssen. Now based on what you are saying that is probably not right, since the Janssen is the one with the fewer copies. Yet demand will always trump supply, even when the result is somewhat unreasonable, so I would still take her last and be very happy with my Brosnan.

Great conversation, guys.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

maybe Janssen would be at the bottom of the pile but then again she is one of the most popular Bond girls. Personally I'd rather have her card than Halle Berry's any day of the week.

Mad Twak Big Grin Wavey

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

When I said normal I should have of course said average collector, as an average card collector is generally not trying to make master sets or even complete an autograph checklist. Before this thread started I had no idea that the Janssen Dangerous Liaisons card was close to being the rariest of the Bond autograph cards. I suspect that a lot of people reading this, who are not Bond set collectors, didn't know that either.

If I had say $XXX to burn, and those four cards were available for $XXX, I would go Brosnan, than Craig, then Berry, then Janssen. Now based on what you are saying that is probably not right, since the Janssen is the one with the fewer copies. Yet demand will always trump supply, even when the result is somewhat unreasonable, so I would still take her last and be very happy with my Brosnan.

Great conversation, guys.

It's not a case of your choice being 'right' or 'wrong', I would pick Brosnan, Janssen, Craig then Berry because I like them as actors/characters, rarity has nothing to do with it. For some though, I'm sure the a lot of pleasure is derived simply from something be rare.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

maybe Janssen would be at the bottom of the pile but then again she is one of the most popular Bond girls. Personally I'd rather have her card than Halle Berry's any day of the week.

Mad Twak Big Grin Wavey

Yeah, you heard me. Janssen over Berry!!! Twak