Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Night of the Living Dead
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night of the Living Dead
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Anyone know anything about this 1993 Imagine Inc card set ? How many cards in the set, chase, etc. ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Imagine's sets, all from the late 1980's to the early 1990's, were usually around 60 cards, and then there were deluxe editions of them which had a couple of extra cards including autograph cards and promos. With their "Dark Shadows" set from 1993, there were 62 cards plus a few promos and some autograph cards. Those cards came in packs though, with the autographs randomly inserted, and I'm not sure if they made a boxed set version.

On some of the "Scream Queens" boxed pinup sets Imagine made, one of the deluxe cards was actually a "****** (rhymes with ripple) print", still fairly unusual in non-sports, haha.

I'm not sure if the NOTLD set had any extra cards. There is a "Grande Illusions" box set from 1988 by them that might interest you. That was the standard 60 card set, with the 61st card being an autographed card from FX master Tom Savini, whose makeup and special effects work the card set featured. There were also some promos in that set.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't see NOTLD listed on Jeff Allendar's website

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Source: That well known and splendid magazine Non-sport update.

The Imagine set was released in two different printings.

1st print had green borders and had 60 cards

2nd print had red borders and had 68 cards.

I think there was 3 autographs for each set but they may have been the same 3.

No promos as far as I know.

Just to complicate things Rosem did a 50 card set at exactly the same time.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chesspieceface:
On some of the "Scream Queens" boxed pinup sets Imagine made, one of the deluxe cards was actually a "****** (rhymes with ripple) print", still fairly unusual in non-sports, haha./QUOTE]

Those Scream Queens sets are a hoot. I had one of the deluxe sets and kept the autographs, not sure where the base cards are just now. The "B" actresses are more like "F"'s", but they all made a few cheesy horror movies in their time.

And yes, I am the proud owner of one of those "ripple" cards. It's not a whole lot different from the Bench Warmers really. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On NOTLD, I have 3 promos with white borders, but I have seen people on "the auction site" with a set of 8 photo cards, claiming they are also promos for the 1993 set. Confusing...

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The NSU price guide makes no mention of any promos or preview sets for NOTLD however the promo encyclopedia does mention 3 promo cards for the second printing release.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine did a number of NotLD card sets, all designed by Bob Michelucci, some in colaboration with Fantico:

1988--68 card green border set, sold as a complete set one large chase card and blank autograph cards were also available separately. Uncut sheets were also available.
1990--Exactly the same as the green border set but with red borders.
1993--3 promo cards, numbers 15, 16 and 52 from the above sets but with foil borders. Most commonly the foil was silver but there were limited runs of other colors of foil. These were in an uncut sheet with the You Slay Me card set
1993--8 card color behind the scenes "On Location" cards also sold as a complete set and often autographed by those depicted.

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The NSU price guide makes no mention of any promos or preview sets for NOTLD however the promo encyclopedia does mention 3 promo cards for the second printing release.

The 3 1993 foil border cards were promo cards for the 1993 8 card On Location set.

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
On NOTLD, I have 3 promos with white borders, but I have seen people on "the auction site" with a set of 8 photo cards, claiming they are also promos for the 1993 set. Confusing...

The only white border promo cards I've seen are in the uncut sheet form. The 8 card On Location cards are not promos, the 3 you have, are promos for the On Location cards. If you still have these, I'd be interested seeing photos. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Source: That well known and splendid magazine Non-sport update.

The Imagine set was released in two different printings.

1st print had green borders and had 60 cards

2nd print had red borders and had 68 cards.

I think there was 3 autographs for each set but they may have been the same 3.

No promos as far as I know.

Just to complicate things Rosem did a 50 card set at exactly the same time.

The red and green border sets are identical aside from the border and both contain 68 cards.

For each base set of 68 cards, there were 4 blank autograph cards. I'm unclear as to if they came signed in some packs or what. I bought them pre-signed in some cases and signed in person by the celeb in others.

The promos were in 1993, a set of 3.

Rosem did their cards in 1987, when Imagine was still designing theirs. They are of inferior quaity and are unlicensed.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Johnny, you said the only white bordered promos you have seen are in "the uncut form"

Here are the 3 promos, see scan # 3

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....453/m/7617075596/p/1

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
ok so the 8-card set was a "for-sale" item. I just got it and didn't know for sure. I'm glad to have the set.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Autograph metal cards from the new RFJ Images release through kickstarter.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
What sort of window box is on those cards? It looks like portions of the autographs have run outside the box insert or sticker and were written directly on the card.

Is that just a blank space rather than a cut out and the signatures are on card? I guess it is.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would swear I saw some other card by Imagine that was connected to the set. It might have been a George Romero card or someone else from the crew. A couple of years ago, somebody who worked for the company or knew people there sold a couple of Imagine cards I wasn't familiar with (another one showed a woman wearing a jacket on the front and it had a business card back, I think).

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Martyr:
quote:

The 3 1993 foil border cards were promo cards for the 1993 8 card On Location set.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
What sort of window box is on those cards? It looks like portions of the autographs have run outside the box insert or sticker and were written directly on the card.

Is that just a blank space rather than a cut out and the signatures are on card? I guess it is.

Right, the entire card is metal with a single layer design. The Marilyn Eastman sig goes even farther outside the box. Autographs numbered to 100.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
This is the base set with a smaller double feature representation of Vincent Price in The Last Man on Earth.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else remember a card that had a member of the crew on the front - might have been the cinematographer? I think it was unnumbered. The seller noted it was some kind of bonus card or promo and I never saw it again. He had some other lesser-seen Imagine cards.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
This is the base set with a smaller double feature representation of Vincent Price in The Last Man on Earth.

The Drive-In Double Feature set is amazing! Did you get a set? I bought both a master promo set and a master main set. The metal auto cards are much nicer than I'd anticipated and some of the sketch art is really incredible.