Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Custom/In-Person Autograph Cards: Star Wars, Star Trek, Bond, X-Men...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom/In-Person Autograph Cards: Star Wars, Star Trek, Bond, X-Men...
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted
I've had a blank Patrick Stewart X-Men autograph card for a good while now and today finally got the man himself to sign it at a UK convention in blue pen to match the rest of the autograph set. Can't say I was ever a fan of the gold ink he used on the pack inserted cards (and the prices asked for them).

Chuffed to bits.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Very very nice. Also extremely jealous. I have the blank Halle Berry card but, believe it or not, I'd never let her sign it, unless I had a second one, of course. But that's just me.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

Next year I'll have a promo card and a bust signed by Patrick.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
congratulations

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the fantastic edition to your collection! and it's a very nice signature too Smile

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sweet, I know you've been talking about getting that card signed for years. Thumb Up

Now you will have to come up with another quest. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice card! I was very disappointed when he cancelled at our Phoenix comic con we attended. I did meet Shatner, but really wanted to meet Stewart.

Posts: 90 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I love it! Very cool Thumb Up

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pumpkindiver
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much did he charge for an autograph? He was $50 when he came here for a convention

Posts: 154 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Raven - You have a good memory! I'm sure I've been thinking about it on and off for 3 years or so but blanks never came up for sale. I finally managed to find one about 18 months ago. Its been a loooong wait. Without sounding morbid, I was worried he might die in the meantime(he's not getting any younger).

My current 'quest' is getting the main TNG cast on 8x10s, with each actor signing one pic in their TV and another in their movie uniforms. I had wanted to get, if you'll pardon the pun, a 'uniform' set of auto cards for this cast, but RA have been fannying about for far too long.

The only style of auto cards that have been signed by the main 7 cast are the movie style full-bleeds but we've got Stewart, McFadden and Burton wearing the daft sailor hats and Spiner pulling a ridiculous face. I'll pass thanks. Frown

Once I've got Sirtis, I'll have them all and I don't think I'll bother with official Trek auto cards now. I've got to meet them all and had them sign on decent pictures.
Becoming a bit of an 8x10 junkie and my trading card addiction seems to be on the wane...

cardaddict - you're mad! Getting Halle Berry to sign one of her blanks would be beyond awesone and a true one of a kind. Such a card would make this auto run beyond amazing.

Pumpkindiver - his autograph was £35/$56. Annoying to think he was charging £25/$40 at the last UK show he did, not but 2 years ago. At least he graces the 'great unwashed' with his presence nowadays. He never used to be big on conventions. Still a bargain IMO.

Tatoox, tangent, Juelle Lou, Cujobyte, and Booker, thanks for the comments!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I've had a blank Patrick Stewart X-Men autograph card for a good while now and today finally got the man himself to sign it at a UK convention in blue pen to match the rest of the autograph set. Can't say I was ever a fan of the gold ink he used on the pack inserted cards (and the prices asked for them).

Chuffed to bits.

May i ask why didnt you get him to sign it in silver,red,green or any other different colour.where most the these signed in blue or black anyway??

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simpsonscardman:
May i ask why didnt you get him to sign it in silver,red,green or any other different colour.where most the these signed in blue or black anyway??

For whatever strange reason, ALL of Stewart's autos that were pack inserted were signed in a thick gold paint pen. IMO, it didn't look particularly good. I wanted in in blue to match the rest of the set.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

My current 'quest' is getting the main TNG cast on 8x10s, with each actor signing one pic in their TV and another in their movie uniforms. I had wanted to get, if you'll pardon the pun, a 'uniform' set of auto cards for this cast, but RA have been fannying about for far too long.

The only style of auto cards that have been signed by the main 7 cast are the movie style full-bleeds but we've got Stewart, McFadden and Burton wearing the daft sailor hats and Spiner pulling a ridiculous face. I'll pass thanks. Frown

I personally like the pictures chosen for Burton, Stewart, McFadden(one of the most gorgeous Beverly Crusher pictures ever) and Spiner in the full-bleed movie style- especially since they are photos that aren't commonly used, but that's just me.

The 7 main cast members have also signed in the Quotable TNG style, though Troi is not in her Starfleet Uniform in that set and the Gates McFadden and LeVar Burton cards came a few years after the other five did.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

I personally like the pictures chosen for Burton, Stewart, McFadden(one of the most gorgeous Beverly Crusher pictures ever) and Spiner in the full-bleed movie style- especially since they are photos that aren't commonly used, but that's just me.

The 7 main cast members have also signed in the Quotable TNG style, though Troi is not in her Starfleet Uniform in that set and the Gates McFadden and LeVar Burton cards came a few years after the other five did.

Val

Thanks for the reminder on the Quotable style Val, I had completely forgotten about them. I absolutey hate the look of those auto cards... I guess I'd blocked them out!!!

Don't get me wrong, the pictures used on the full-bleed movie cards are not bad pictures in and of themselves, but they're not terribly evocative of the image I see in my head when I think about those characters. I imagine if you said: Geordi La Forge too most fans they won't think of the opening scene from Generations wearing navel regalia.

It would the the same as RA issuing an auto of Roger Moore dressed as a clown in Octopussy, rather than a card depicting an iconic publicity shot of his Bond.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I want the Roger Moore Clown card!!!!

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
To answer your question Raven, I have indeed come up with a new quest...

I have loved Star Wars since my youth and have some of the odd cards here and there but have always balked at getting any official autograph cards from the due to their ludicrous expense caused by Topps' deliberate short printing of very willing signers, and the insanely large fanbase willing to keep prices high. Then we moved to the nasty sticker autos and the idea of Star Wars auto cards went right out the window for me. Plus, despite how many Star Wars auto cards Topps have put out there has never been one style of cards that has actually covered ALL the main players!

Then I saw the Galaxy(5?) autograph series Topps came out with a few years back that utilised the fantastic Joe Smith artwork which reminded me of the Galaxy Bend-Ems promos in the early 90s. Whilst there were many of these promos, 12 of them were 'character studies' commissioned for the 'Star Wars Ensemble' which are great renditions of the main cast.

I have always liked these cards and the 'A' Vader promo was in fact my very first Star Wars trading card when I was a kid (it came with the Vader Bend-Em!). So I thought why not use these as the basis of compiling my own set of Star Wars autograph cards?

I started these last May at UK and don't think I've done too bad so far...

I think I've nearly outdone Topps' effort anyway! And they're all on card signatures that I know are 100% authentic. I don't doubt Topps' authenticity one bit mind you, but it is nice to have an autograph signed in front of you.

Seeing as it was the OTT prices of pack inserted cards which was catalyst to start this collection, below are the prices paid:
Carrie Fisher - £60/$103
Ian McDiarmid - £70/$120
Billy Dee Williams - £25/$43
Dave Prowse - £15/$25
Peter Mayhew - £20/$34
Kenny Baker - £15/$25
Jeremy Bulloch - £15/$25
TOTAL = £220/$375, which I don't think is too bad for all those names and WAY cheaper than pack inserted versions.

The other characters in the series were Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Yoda, C-3PO and Obi-Wan. I think I'm in with a good chance at Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels who, whilst rare signers, are not total recluses.
As for Harrison Ford and Frank Oz... not holding my breath. Alec Guiness might be a good candidate for a cut autograph perhaps.

Thanks for reading - I'm really quite chuffed with these.

Later in the year Destination Trek 3 has some amazing guests and I intend to get some Trek cast on some RA cards for similar reasons. And Patrick Stewart on a Days of Future Past X-Men card. Can't wait!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Starchild
posted Hide Post
Those are downright fantastic!

Well done!

Posts: 603 | Location: CT | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The cards look great but I will never get my head round people charging £60-70 to scribble their name or people paying it instead of just falling over laughing.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Love the Star Wars cards.

I've been doing this for years. Maybe I'll share some.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The cards look great but I will never get my head round people charging £60-70 to scribble their name or people paying it instead of just falling over laughing.

I would imagine that actors likely get paid way more at conventions per autograph than card companies (I could be wrong). But whether you agree or not with fans paying actors to write their signatures aside, I don't understand the gripe.

How is £70 for an in-person auto any different than the same money for an equivalent card you might not get lucky pulling from a pack, and instead having to pay on eBay/wherever? Or for an 8x10 still when dealers charge a lot more for the likes of comparatively rare McDiarmid signatures?

More to the point, and one of my points in starting the project, where can you find a real Topps Carrie Fisher auto card, or McDiarmid, for £60/£70? Those aren't peanuts prices but Carrie's a $200 card minimum, but often more, and there are only two McDiarmids on eBay (both completed listings) at $500 & $750 a go. Plus with these you actually get to meet the people - does that not add any intrinsic value arguably far beyond pack inserted auto cards?

You can be so tight wolfie I would think you'd appreciate the ethos behind these! Wink